Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Top 5 National Wildlife Refuges For Bird Lovers - Artistic images!
7/29/2013 5:30:55 PM
Dear friends, I don't know if this is a good place to post the below article, but the photos are so artistic that I am taking the opportunity to show them here.

Top 5 National Wildlife Refuges For Bird Lovers

Birding (aka bird watching) might seem right up there with coin collecting and cross-stitch in terms of exciting hobbies, but don’t dismiss it, especially if you love watching the sunrise, hiking to remote places or playing with binoculars.

Birds can be spotted just about anywhere, in your neighborhood, local forests or State Parks. But if you’re really serious about spotting some spectacular birds, you can’t beat national wildlife refuges.

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, “refuges’ concentration along the country’s four main flyways ­ — Atlantic, Mississippi, Central and Pacific – make them natural bird magnets. Some refuges have been designated Important Birding Areas – sites that provide essential habitat for one or more bird species – by the National Audubon Society.”

Want to give it a try? Here are the top five wildlife refuges for bird lovers.

Malheur National Wildlife RefugeSource: Friends of Malheur

Malheur National Wildlife Refuge – Southeast Oregon

Comprised of lands encompassed by Malheur, Mud and Harney Lakes, Malheur National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt “as a preserve and breeding ground for native birds.” The Refuge is the temporary home of more than 320 bird species, including American white pelicans, snow geese and tundra swans. Its location on the Pacific Flyway and its abundant water and food attract both resident and migratory birds.

Aransas National Wildlife RefugeSource: Wikimedia Commons

Aransas National Wildlife Refuge – Texas Coast

With mild winters and an abundance of food, it’s no surprise that Aransas National Wildlife Refuge boasts more than 400 bird species, including the rarest bird in North America: the Whooping Crane. In winter, many other birds feed on fish, blue crab and shellfish in the coastal marsh. The refuge’s oak hills provide important habitat for neotropical birds, such as orioles, grosbeaks and buntings, migrating between North and Central America.

Tamarac National Wildlife RefugeSource: USFWS

Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge – Minnesota

Did you ever read E.B. White’s Trumpet of the Swan as a kid? It was all about a very special Trumpet Swan, one of the most majestic birds known to man and unique because it mates for life. In the late 1880s, trumpeter swans disappeared from Minnesota. In 1987, the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge teamed up with the state to restore these magnificent birds. Today, more than 30 pairs nest on the refuge. April through October is the best time to see them.

Merritt Island National Wildlife RefugeSource: NASA

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge – Florida’s East Coast

Launching space shuttles isn’t the only thing that makes Cape Canaveral famous. Located nearby is Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, which is world-famous as a birding destination. From December to February, hundreds of thousands of migratory birds use the refuge as a rest stop or winter in refuge impoundments. During warmer months, resident wading birds, shore birds, songbirds and raptors forage in refuge marshes, open waters and forests. The Scrub Ridge and Pine Flatwoods trails offer your best bets for seeing the Florida scrub jay, a species found only in Florida.

Bombay Hook National Wildlife RefugeSource: MoreSatisfyingPhotos.com

Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge – Delaware Bay

Birds returning from their winter vacation spots often choose Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge as a resting spot before continuing North. Every spring and fall, hungry birds interrupt their journey to visit this spot on the Delaware Bay. They can be spotted feeding by the thousands on the salt marsh mudflats and in freshwater impoundments. Common species include semi-palmated sandpipers, dunlin, dowitchers, yellowlegs, semi-palmated plovers and American avocets.

This is only a tiny sampling of all of the marvelous National Wildlife Refuges that play host and home to unique bird species. Know of another one that belongs on this list? Share it in a comment!

You can also check out the FWS’ list of “Great Refuges For Birding.”

Read more: , , , , , ,

Lead Image via Thinkstock

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/top-5-national-wildlife-refuges-for-bird-lovers.html#ixzz2aQooP5hV

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Barbara Delgiudice

1912 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Top 5 National Wildlife Refuges For Bird Lovers - Artistic images!
7/30/2013 7:15:18 AM
Thank you Luis!

Birds are so beautiful!!!

Love and big hugs.

Barb, Baby, Beenie :)

+1
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2013 4:51:48 AM

10_1_136.gifHi Luis,

I believe that I have always been fascinated by birds of all varieties. It is amazing to watch the gracefulness as they glide through the air, and the pintpoint accuracy of a Hawk as it dives for a prey, and grabs it in it's claws without missing a beat. It is also amazing to watch a Hummingbird. Shirley and I were lucky enough to have one that had a nest in a bush right outside our living room window last year. I believe that it was green and blue in color. Unfortunetely, the bush was taken out in the beginning of the summer this year.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

meandyou.jpg

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/7/2013 2:24:08 AM
Hi Barb,

I am so sorry for this belated reply but at the same time, so glad to read your post. I really appreciate it.

Love and big hugs too,

Miguel

Quote:
Thank you Luis!

Birds are so beautiful!!!

Love and big hugs.

Barb, Baby, Beenie :)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/7/2013 2:27:16 AM
I love hummingbirds too, Mike. I frequently go at day break with my dogs to a small lagoon near our home, where we sit for a while before continuing our morning walk. Lots of doves and sparrows and other birds flying by and the ornamental fish in the lagoon put color to the place. After a while, two or three hummingbirs also show up circling the small tree tops that grow very close to where we are, no more than one or two meters away of us. It is so rewarding to watch and listen to all of them and, in particular, to enjoy the sight of the hummingbirds as they stop in the air to suck the juice of the flowers before starting to fly around again.

Thanks for visiting and posting,

Miguel

Quote:

10_1_136.gifHi Luis,

I believe that I have always been fascinated by birds of all varieties. It is amazing to watch the gracefulness as they glide through the air, and the pintpoint accuracy of a Hawk as it dives for a prey, and grabs it in it's claws without missing a beat. It is also amazing to watch a Hummingbird. Shirley and I were lucky enough to have one that had a nest in a bush right outside our living room window last year. I believe that it was green and blue in color. Unfortunetely, the bush was taken out in the beginning of the summer this year.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

meandyou.jpg

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!