Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathy Clark

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Alabama
1/17/2006 12:47:01 AM
I have written about Alaska where I grew up and now I want to tell you about my present home: Alabama. We moved to New Market, AL in 1988. I wanted to move south and see what it would be like to have 4 seasons, long summers, mild winters, and be within driving range of a beach. This is the area that my husband was born and raised in, but I met him in Alaska. He loved it in Alaska, but he reluctantly agreed to leave with me. I think he has enjoyed these years here in the south. It brought him back closer to his family and he was able to do a lot of gardening. I have really enjoyed it here. It was culture shock at first. Alaska and Alabama are complete opposites. Summers are hot here, but with a good airconditioning unit, all is well. One great thing is that it only takes about 6 hours to drive to the beautiful Gulf Shores Beaches. Also, it is only 2 hours to Birmingham and 2 hours to Nashville. In Alaska, it took many hours to reach the other States, or you had to fly or take a boat. Alabama does have lots of rivers, lakes, etc. and they are beautiful to look at. I just don't go wading in them as there are snakes. That is something I never had to worry about in Alaska. New Market is a suburb of Huntsville, where the NASA Space and Rocket Center is located. They have a great museum and Space Camp. Also, you will find many restored grand old Antebellum Homes. As a tourist, there is much to see here and quite a variety. Fishing, boating, hiking, museums, farm areas, and big cities. The food is great here. Many Buffets with country cooking. Lots of BBQ, but it is much different than I am used to. I love the grits, biscuits and gravy, banana pudding, and fried green tomatoes. I guess the think I like best is no snow. If it snows, it usually doesn't stick and is gone in an hour or so. So you don't have to wear boots, heavy coats, and gloves for 9 months out of the year. Here all I need is a light jacket for a short time. Have you ever been to Alabama? Tell us about your experiences. Also, tell us about your home town.
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Alabama
1/17/2006 12:58:43 AM
Hi, Kathy Though I grew up in the South, too, I've only been through Alabama, never stayed there. But I can sing "Sweet Home Alabama", at least the chorus, with the best of them, lol. If I ever get there on a vacation, I'll remember about the snakes. Growing up in Texas, we did have to watch out for them, but I don't remember being afraid to wade in the rivers and lakes. Here in Utah, the only poisonous ones are rattlers, which you can avoid with a little care and some high-top boots. They let you know where they are, lol. Thanks for telling us about Alabama. Cheri
+0
Kathy Clark

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Alabama
1/17/2006 1:55:34 AM
Hi Cheri, Yes, I love that song too. Also love all the songs by the group: Alabama. When you plan to vacation in Alabama, please let me know. :)
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!