Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Burne-Jones watercolor painting 'Love among the Ruins' Breaks Record at Auction
7/21/2013 1:40:00 AM
Burne-Jones' Love among the Ruins brings over 22 million dollars at Christie's London on July 11th, almost 15 million pounds. This sets a new world record for the artist's work, the third highest price at auction for a Victorian painting, and highest price ever for a 19th century Victorian sale in London.

‘Love Among Ruins’ Sets $22 Million Burne- Jones Record

Edward Burne-Jones - Love among the Ruins (watercolor, bodycolor and
gum arabic on paper, c. 1873)
(1)

A watercolor by the Victorian painter Edward Burne-Jones sold today in London for 14.8 million pounds ($22.3 million), a record auction price for a Pre-Raphaelite work of art.

The recently rediscovered painting “Love among the Ruins,” inspired by a Robert Browning poem, showed two lovers embracing in front of a derelict classical building and made about three times its upper estimate.

Dating from 1870 to 1873, the work had been estimated by Christie’s International at between 3 million pounds to 5 million pounds in an auction of Victorian and British Impressionist paintings. The buyer was an unidentified bidder in the room.

The picture, retaining its original frame, hadn’t been seen on the auction market since 1958. Before the sale, it was shown by Christie’s in Moscow, New York and Hong Kong.

The female model for the painting has been identified as Maria Zambaco, a Greek beauty with whom Burne-Jones conducted an affair in the late 1860s. A later oil version is on permanent display at Wightwick Manor, a National Trust house near Wolverhampton, central England, Christie’s said.

The market for Pre-Raphaelite art boomed in the late 1990s, thanks to competition between wealthy collectors such as Andrew Lloyd Webber, Isabel Goldsmith, U.S. stockbroker Jerome Davis and Australian cleaning-services magnate John Schaeffer.

Demand peaked in June 2000 when Lloyd Webber paid 6.6 million pounds with fees -- then the second-highest price ever for a British work of art -- for John William Waterhouse’s “St. Cecilia.”

Dealers said the four collectors subsequently became less active in the market. The 2000s also saw Victorian art eclipsed by the popularity of contemporary works.

Muse highlights include Rich Jaroslovsky on technology, Martin Gayford on European art, Jason Harper on cars, Lance Esplund on U.S. art, Robert Heller on rock music and Amanda Gordon’sScene Last Night.

To contact the writer on the story: Scott Reyburn in London at sreyburn@hotmail.com.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at mhoelterhoff@bloomberg.net.

________

(1) Image in Art-Games.co.uk. The original image in the article has apparently been moved.

"Love among the Ruins" by Pre-Raphaelite painter Edward Burne-Jones. This recently rediscovered watercolor, dating from 1870 to 1873, sold in an auction of Victorian paintings at Christie's International in London on July 11.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Burne-Jones watercolor painting 'Love among the Ruins' Breaks Record at Auction
7/21/2013 1:42:16 AM

Dear friends, allow me now a brief note on the previous post and work: Years after
Burne-Jones' watercolor Love among the Ruins was severely damaged in a fire, he painted an exact replica of it in oil with the same title; you may see it below. Information about this replica is given at the bottom.

Edward Burne-Jones - Love among the Ruins (oil on canvas,
signed and dated 23 Apr 1894)

" ... Burne-Jones had originally painted a watercolour-cum-gouache of this subject between 1870 and 1873. It became one of the artist’s most admired and exhibited works before it was damaged in a photographic studio in Paris in 1893 but recently came up for auction at Christie's, London on July 11th 2013 and sold for £13.2 million."
(Read more in National Trust Collections :
Love among the Ruins, http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1288953)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Burne-Jones watercolor painting 'Love among the Ruins' Breaks Record at Auction
7/21/2013 4:44:51 AM
Hi Miguel,
There sure is a lot of difference between the 2. The oil is so much brighter the the watercolor. Both beautiful, not sure which I like best.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2013 9:01:44 AM

I love Pre-Raphaelite paintings and particularly this artist.

Southampton City Art Gallery is only 30 miles from my home. They have a collection of Burne-Jones works which are unbelievably wonderful.

He often repeated his works in other media. Most of the Southampton examples are in Gouache water medium which gives a flat chalky enchanting effect.

The romance and composition of his work inspires me a great deal.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2013 9:23:43 PM
Hi Myrna,

Actually there were several choices at the moment of selecting a watercolor to show and as you know, only rarely are photos true to their originals; in addition, unlike the photo of the oil painting, none seemed to me good enough. So in a way, the oil painting was an unfair opponent as
oil paintings are usually brighter and hence more attractive.

Miguel

Quote:
Hi Miguel,
There sure is a lot of difference between the 2. The oil is so much brighter the the watercolor. Both beautiful, not sure which I like best.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!