Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: What the faces say?
9/22/2013 5:29:32 PM
Scientists have created portable smartphone 'microscope'!!

Scientists have created a novel smartphone "microscope" that can detect viruses and material less than one-thousandth of the width of a human hair, according to a study published in the journal ACS Nano.

Researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), created the portable smartphone attachment, which they say can be used to detect viruses and bacteria, eliminating the need for expensive or bulky microscopes and laboratory equipment.

The device, which weighs 186 g (less than half a pound) and is attached directly to the camera of a smartphone, is described as a "fluorescent microscope." It was created using a 3D printer and contains a color filter, an external lens and a laser diode

The attachment works by illuminating fluid or solid samples at an angle of approximately 75 degrees using the diode. By illuminating the samples at this angle, the researchers say it avoids detecting "scattered light" that could interfere with the fluorescent image.

When testing the device, the researchers were able to detect single human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) particles - a virus that can cause birth defects including deafness and brain damage.

The virus can also lead to increased risk of death in people who have undergone organ transplantation, are infected with the HIV virus or who have a weak immune system.

According to the researchers, a single HCMV particle measures approximately 150-300 nanometers, and the device detected the particles clearly. By comparison, a human hair measures around 100,000 nanometers.

In another experiment, the device was able to detect nanoparticles. These were marked fluorescent polystyrene beads created especially for the experiment that measured between 90-100 nanometers.

The researchers verified the smartphone device by comparing its effectiveness against a scanning electron microscope and a photon-counting confocal microscope. This confirmed their previous findings.

Aydogan Ozca, professor of electrical engineering and bioengineering at the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, says:

"This cellphone-based imaging platform could be used for specific and sensitive detection of sub-wavelength objects, including bacteria and viruses and therefore could enable the practice of nanotechnology and biomedical testing in field settings and even in remote and resource-limited environments."

Prof. Ozca adds:

"These results also constitute the first time that single nanoparticles and viruses have been detected using a cellphone-based, field-portable imaging system."

Source: MNT
+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: Medical and health news!!
10/29/2013 3:26:48 PM
A 10-Pound Hairball in stomach!!

It was reported in The New England Journal of Medicine on November 2007 that how doctors took a 10-pound hairball from an 18-year-old woman after she came to them with pain and a 40-pound weight loss. The woman had been suffering with pain in her abdomen for about five months.

When doctors did her endoscopy (direct visualization of stomach with a small camera) they found a mass there. It was determined that the mass was a hair ball, which was taking up nearly her entire stomach. The patient confessed that she has a habit of eating her own hair, a condition called trichophagia. Doctors tried to use small incisions to remove the mass, but then they had to go to traditional surgery to make sure the entire hairball was removed.

The girl left the hospital after five days and was asked to follow up with a psychiatrist. Within a year, she had regained about half of the weight she lost and said she had stopped eating her hair.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/31/2013 5:59:39 PM
Twins smoking studio

See How Smoking Prematurely Ages the Skin (Images)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/31/2013 7:42:27 PM

Scary stuff.

I was aware of this effect as, part of my hypnotherapy work was with smokers.

I was a heavy smoker for 30 years so I'm probably looking ancient.

Seriously, premature ageing is only one of many bad effects of cigarette smoking.

+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/2/2015 4:05:55 AM
Cold plasma can kill Norovirus!

Norovirus, the most common cause of gastroenteritis in the world, can be killed with "cold plasma," researchers in Germany have reported in mBio journal.
coldplasma.jpg

Cold plasma, known as the "fourth state of matter", consists of ionized gas molecules at room temperature. A team of scientists led by Dr Birte Ahlfeld and Prof Günter Klein at the University of Veterinary Medicine in Hannover examined the effect of cold plasma on a strain of norovirus isolated from a human faecal sample taken during an outbreak at a military base in Germany. Cold plasma treatment led to a roughly 20- to 50-fold reduction in the number of virus particles.

The viruses were destroyed because cold plasma consists of highly noxious ions, called reactive nitrogen and oxygen species, which exhibit potent antimicrobial activity.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!