Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Smokers Die Ten Years Sooner Than Non-Smokers!!
6/16/2013 1:27:04 PM
The chance that a young person will live to age 80 is about 70% for nonsmokers but only 35% for smokers. Stated differently, a smoker loses about 11(women) to 12 (men) years of life compared to nonsmokers.

Exception is not the example:
George Burns, the famous comedian, who lived to be 100 hundred years old, often remarked "I smoke ten to fifteen cigars a day. At my age I have to hold on to something".

So, true enough - but you will find that these individuals are very much the rare exception and certainly not the rule. It is important to know that, on average, smokers die twelve years sooner than non-smokers. Twelve years! That's more than a decade! It means life for smokers is more than ten percent shorter than for non-smokers. These are big numbers.

Before reading the study regarding this issue, here is a short over views what disease we are inviting while smoking.

Smoker's mortality rates are nearly 3 times greater than those of nonsmokers and essentially equal between men and women. People who smoke are up to six times more likely to suffer a heart attack than nonsmokers, and the risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked. Cigarette smoking causes an estimated 443,000 deaths each year, including approximately 49,000 deaths due to exposure to secondhand smoke.

Smoking also causes most cases of chronic obstructive lung disease. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women in the United States, and 90 percent of lung cancer deaths among men and approximately 80 percent of lung cancer deaths among women are due to smoking currently or in the past. Certain diseases, such as ischemic heart disease (heart attacks and related coronary artery disease), stroke, chronic lung disease and lung cancer, have been clearly linked to smoking and were found to be the cause of death in approximately 60% of the smokers' in these studies.

Smoking causes or predisposes to many other types of cancer, including cancers of the throat, mouth, nasal cavity, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder, and cervix, and acute myeloid leukemia.

The chance that a young person will live to age 80 is about 70% for nonsmokers but only 35% for smokers. Stated differently, a smoker loses about 11(women) to 12 (men) years of life compared to nonsmokers.

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Smokers Die Ten Years Sooner Than Non-Smokers!!
6/16/2013 10:57:38 PM
Hi Hafiz,

Great article. I smoked, said I would never quit, but I got a notice from a higher source to quit. Which I did and am so thankful that I quit many years ago. I have since read how bad smoking is for the bones. Which makes sense to me. It harms everything else in the body. I hope anyone reading this stopped smoking asap. Save your self some pain in later years.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/2/2013 6:02:24 AM
A burnt cigarette ash said:
"Today its me,because of you ! ..
But Tomorrow it will be you,because of me!! .."

Quit smoking before smoking quits you

+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/21/2013 2:25:37 PM
Smoking Vs cancer!!

Smoking causes cancer

90% of lung cancer patients developed their disease because of smoking. Lung cancer is one of the most common causes of cancer deaths in the world. Smokers also have a significantly higher risk of developing: According to Cancer Research UK, one person dies every 15 minutes in Great Britain from lung cancer.

Smoking also raises the risk of cancer recurrences (the cancer coming back).

Why does smoking raise cancer risk?

Scientists say there are over 4,000 compounds in cigarette smoke. A sizeable number of them are toxic - they are bad for us and damage our cells. Some of them cause cancer - they are carcinogenic.

Tobacco smoke consists mainly of:
  • Nicotine - this is not carcinogenic. However, it is highly addictive. Smokers find it very hard to quit because they are hooked on the nicotine. Nicotine is an extremely fast-acting drug. It reaches the brain within 15 seconds of being inhaled. If cigarettes and other tobacco products had no nicotine, the number of people who smoke every day would drop drastically. Without nicotine, the tobacco industry would collapse.Nicotine is used as a highly controlled insecticide. Exposure to sufficient amounts can lead to vomiting, seizures, depression of the CNS (central nervous system), and growth retardation. It can also undermine a fetus' proper development.
  • Carbon Monoxide - this is a poisonous gas. It has no smell or taste. The body finds it hard to differentiate carbon monoxide from oxygen and absorbs it into the bloodstream. Faulty boilers emit dangerous carbon monoxide, as do car exhausts.

If there is enough carbon monoxide around you and you inhale it, you can go into a coma and die. Carbon monoxide decreases muscle and heart function, it causes fatigue, weakness, and dizziness. It is especially toxic for babies still in the womb, infants and indifividuals with heart or lung disease.
  • Tar - consists of several cancer-causing chemicals. When a smoker inhales cigarette smoke, 70% of the tar remains in the lungs. Try the handkerchief test. Fill the mouth with smoke, don't inhale, and blow the smoke through the handkerchief. There will be a sticky, brown stain on the cloth. Do this again, but this time inhale and the blow the smoke through the cloth, there will only be a very faint light brown stain.
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2013 6:45:57 PM
Hi Hafiz,

I smoked for a number of years, which has been many years ago After I had quit smoking I learned that cigarette smoke weakens the bones. That statement scared me more that thinking of cancer. But of course there is bone cancer. Glad I quit smoking.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!