Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
(Ongoing) 2013 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest
6/15/2013 12:57:26 AM

2013 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest

Now in its 25th year, the National Geographic Travel Photo Contest inspires lush and evocative images from around the globe. See some examples of the entrants from 2013 -- the photo captions are written by the photographers. The contest is still going on and entries will be accepted through June 30. [Visit here!]

Mr. Huang Yue Chuang (Photo and caption by Andrey Pavlov/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) This photo was taken on the bank of Li-River close to Xingping fishing village. Mr. Huang and his four brothers are from the last fishermen that still keep the tradition of fishing using specially trained cormorants. In recent days, this ancient technique has transformed into a tourist attraction and a source of income for Mr. Huang, who desperately needs funds for buying medicines for his sick wife.

Boy monk with gun (Photo and caption by Joyce Le Mesurier/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) At the annual Ananda Harvest Festival in Bagan, Myanmar, thousands of monks from all over Myanmar came to receive alms. While walking around the vast temple grounds, I chanced upon this boy monk who was playing with his toy gun. Even though it was only a toy gun, I found this image a disturbing juxtaposition of the peace that Buddhism embodies and the violence that guns symbolise.

Can you hear me now? (Photo and caption by Chet Stein/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) An unexpected mix of the modern world with the traditional world.

Children of Kibera (Photo and caption by Cynthia MacDonald/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) Kibera is located just outside of Nairobi and is the largest slum in Africa with over a million people. It is built on piles and piles of garbage which is painfully obvious while walking the streets.

Enjoying the Holi festival (Photo and caption by manna michela/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) This picture has been taken during the Holi festival in India.

Explosion (Photo and caption by Stylianos Papardelas/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) Children playing in the backstreets of old Varanasi. An explosion of colors, smiles and energy.

Fishing (Photo and caption by Cynthia MacDonald/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) A father and daughter with a fish in the net at sunset on Inle Lake, Myanmar.

Happily Captured
(Photo and caption by Michael Siy/
National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) Exploring Sa Pa village their way of living, their traditional colorful clothing, i was able to capture this three H'Mong kids playing outside their house.

Lavender Fields Forever (Photo and caption by Jennifer Holmes Beamer/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) While traveling through Tasmania, we took a detour to find this spectacular lavender field. After a soothing meander among endless fields of fragrant lavender we were ready for a nap in the red soil.

Left or right? (Photo and caption by Thomas Pieters/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) I was taking some shots on the beach of Taghazout, Morocco, when this little guy came up to me asking in what hand he was holding a coin. After playing along I asked if I could take his picture.

Thirteen in a dozen (Photo and caption by Frieda Vanhee/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) On a gas station we met another car waiting for fuel;

The Innocence of Love and Peace (Photo and caption by Kim Hino/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest) The children in the remote villa of Kong Lo in Laos were simply beautiful in the innocence of their smiles and curiousity for these strangers among them, that after playing about in a pile of hay, they were even more comfortable in front of the camera and their true spirit in what I experienced in the simplicity that they enjoyed around them and shared with me came through. The symbolism in there chosen pose here speak volumes to me. to learn.

P.S. Hope you enjoyed them all! Visit the Yahoo page HERE

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: (Ongoing) 2013 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest
6/15/2013 2:48:39 AM

10_1_136.gifHi Miguel,

This thread looks like it is going to be very interesting. The photos that caught my attention the most were the young Budist with a gun, even though it was a toy, it sends mixed emotions as to what is being taught in Budist homes. The next was the colorful native with the cell phone. Hmmmm. Time traveler perhaps???? and the third photo was the woman dressed in Lavender in the field of Lavender. Simple but oh so beautiful.

Painters have vivid imaginations and most capture expressive features, however photos show so much more by not showing more. With the different photos shown here, we can capture the real world with the happiness, sadness, and contrasts of new and old. I will be back often.

By the way, have you found out yet why you cannot post on your own threads?, as I am having the same problems.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

smogmeinichols3.jpgI wonder what country this was taken in????

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/15/2013 10:52:50 AM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for showing up and most especially for your kind comments. I hope you are right and this thread proves interesting. Right now you are right in your comment on the boy with a gun, as I am afraid Buddhist monks, at least some of them, are apparently no longer following the Buddha's teachings and have turned unmerciful, as reports about their clashes with Muslim's poor segments of the population in Indonesia confirm.

Your other comments are as usual an intelligent contribution to this forum and most enjoyable too, as you go into the core of the matter about the basic difference between painting and photography. They definitely apply to the high-quality photos presented to this contest.

Thanks again,

Miguel

P.S. As to the problem with posting, I understand it is solved or so at least said Bogdan yesterday on the Adland wall.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Bob
Bob Shoaf

202 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/15/2013 11:35:09 AM
Those are beautiful pictures, some of sadness and some of happiness.

National Geographic does a fantastic job of photographing the world.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob Shoaf
I teach Network Marketers how to Brand themselves, generate Leads, build Relationships and Grow Themselves & Their Teams! www.Bob55.com All for Free in your company! Bob Shoaf (575) 415-8671 Cell Anytime A Mentor with a Servants Heart
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/16/2013 12:01:56 AM
Hello Bob,

Thanks for coming by and posting. You are right, National Geographic does a wonderful job in the matter of photographing the world. This contest is enough proof of it.

Thanks again,

Miguel

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!