Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/7/2013 1:55:29 AM

Dear friends,

I don't know how to start this new thread other than saying that I have always loved Turner paintings. In fact, I must confess to my almost total ignorance of Turner's life and career. However, I have always wanted to feature him at this my cherished forum and so, at long last, I have shaken off my indolence and gathered enough will to do it. I must say, it has proven extremely worthwhile.

So let's start by borrowing a few paragraphs here and there. Did you know
Turner was only fourteen when he was admitted to the Royal Academy Schools, and that he started his career by painting watercolours and producing mezzotints under the strong influence of John Robert Cozen's work? Then, in 1796, he launched into oil painting, working in the neoclassical manner of Richard Wilson and Nicolas Poussin, with results that found wide acclaim. He exhibited his first picture Fishermen at Sea (1796) in the Royal Academy exhibition in 1796. He was elected an Associate in 1799 and in 1802 a full member of the Royal Academy. Turner was one of the most prolific painters of his time. He traveled extensively in England, Scotland and Ireland, and also on the Continent (France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy). All this information I have gathered at Olga's Gallery.

But I don't want to tire you with too many details at this point; you will find below more info about this great artist and some of his priceless works, including
depictions of shipwrecks and natural disasters such as The Shipwreck (1805), Fire at Sea (1835), Snow Storm - Steam-Boat off a Harbour's Mouth (1842), etc. Other great works include The Battle of Trafalgar, as Seen from the Mizen Starboard Shrouds of the Victory (1806-1808), The Decline of the Carthaginian Empire (1817), Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (1823), A Ship Aground (1828), and many, many more.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING -
WILLIAM TURNER

(Click on image to enlarge)

Scarborough Town and Castle: Morning:
Boys Catching Crabs

By William Turner

Technical data
(2)
Watercolor on paper, 1811
Height: 68.7 cm (27.05 in.),
Width: 101.6 cm (40 in.)
Private collection

Profile (3)

J.M.W. Turner, in full Joseph Mallord William Turner (born April 23, 1775, London, Eng.— died Dec. 19, 1851, London), English Romantic landscape painter whose expressionistic studies of light, colour, and atmosphere were unmatched in their range and sublimity.

Turner was only fourteen years old when he was admitted to the Royal Academy Schools. He started his career by painting watercolours and producing mezzotints under the strong influence of John Robert Cozen's work. Then, in 1796, he launched into oil painting, working in the neoclassical manner of Richard Wilson and Nicolas Poussin, with results that found wide acclaim. He exhibited his first picture Fishermen at Sea (1796) in the Royal Academy exhibition in 1796. He was elected an Associate in 1799 and in 1802 a full member of the Royal Academy. Turner was one of the most prolific painters of his time. He traveled extensively in England, Scotland and Ireland, and also on the Continent (France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy).

In 1802, he visited Paris for the first time, where he studied the Old Masters in the Louvre, above all Dutch seascapes and Claude Lorrain's compositions, which lastingly influenced him. Turner's first private showing, at his own house, took place in 1804. During this period, thanks to the increasing concentration on the atmospheric effects of light, his original style began to evolve, a process that culminated during trips to Italy between 1819 and 1829.

Like the works of
Constable, Turner's seemingly effortless watercolours and oil sketches were based on impressions of nature. But his perception of the world differed vastly from Constable's. Turner's pictures transcend ordinary appearances, conveying a visionary sense of the forces at work in the universe.

(1) This image is a courtesy of The Ateneum.

(2) Ibid.

(3) Encyclopedia Britannica,
Olga's Gallery

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/7/2013 3:13:30 AM

William Turner has been described as an English Romantic landscape painter and watercolorist (also a printmaker), mainly a painter of elements, whose style can be said to have laid the foundation for Impressionism. But he was also a painter of idyllic sceneries, as can be seen in the below video.

William Turner paintings

Subido el 25/02/2012

William Turner (1775-1851)
Music: Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition (The great gate of Kiev)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+3
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/7/2013 9:22:38 PM

Hi Miguel.

I know that this is going to be a great forum.

I am personally sad that I missed this exhibition only a few miles from my house. I discovered it too late to react.

http://www.discoverpetworth.org/news/petworth-house-turner-exhibition-12th-january-13th-march-2013/

Petworth House has many great Turners as the owner supported Turner by purchasing many works. I have seen many in the house on previous visits.

Thank you again.

+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/8/2013 1:01:13 AM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for showing up.

So sorry you missed the exhibition; I don't know what I would give to ever have such an opportunity. I have admired Turner since I was in my twenties and even dreamed to paint like him one day - but of course, it would have taken a million years' practice.

I really hope this will be a great forum as you say.

Sincerely,

Miguel

+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/8/2013 1:34:38 AM

A painter of elements he was, but also of idyllic sceneries.

William Turner - Dolbadern Castle (pencil and watercolor, 1799)

William Turner - Glacier and Source of the Arveron, Going Up to the Mer of Glace
(watercolor on paper, 1803)

William Turner - The Fifth Plague of Egypt (oil on canvas, 1800)

+3

facebook
Like us on Facebook!