Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
What are "Dofollow Links and Nofollow links and why should you think about them?
5/6/2013 2:43:40 AM

Should you use Dofollow links or Nofollow links?

When you first start blogging you will hear a number of terms that will have you sitting there going WTH? ( what the heck?)

Two of these terms are:

Dofollow links
and
Nofollow links

For many people these two terms have struck terror into their blogging careers as no one really tells you about these things and how they can affect you and your blog!

To put it simply

A "Dofollow" Link is a hyperlink that is able to tell search engines to pass along it's page rank influence to an outbound link.

A "Nofollow" Link is exactly the opposite. It is a hyperlink that removes the ability to pass on it's page rank status to other sites.

See that was simple wasn't it? no?

The good news is here is a video that does a very good job of explaining follow and no follow links

and if you are interested in a a more in depth explanation then I highly recommend that you read -> EXPLAINED: FOLLOW AND NOFOLLOW IN BLOG LINKS and I would pay attention to what the commenters have to say, because there is a wealth of information to be had ( and all for free lol)

I guess the real question is ..is there ANY use to nofollow links?

Here are three reasons

1. In your blogs comment section. ( If you read the comments on the the post I suggested you read, then people were talking about comments?) well Google calls this content not to be trusted ( think spammers) and you should automatically make all those links a nofollow.

3. Paid Links. Got to love Google, this is their recommendation and something to think about. If you have a paid link on your site, it’s essentially buying a higher rank in Google. And they don’t like that. Often it’s the person putting the paid link on their site who gets in trouble (not always the guy who bought the link), so you may want to nofollow any paid links on your webpages.

3 Areas of your site you don’t really want in the index. Using a nofollow tag to link to these pages is not a sure-fire way of keeping the pages out of the search engines, but it may help. You might as well use the nofollow tag on those links as you don’t really want the search engines following them to your exclusive pages.

Bottom line at least to me is that with the exception of the three main reasons to have a nofollow link and you’re trying to build links to your site then you don’t want to spend a whole lot of time building nofollow links. Since Google doesn't follow them, it’s like those links don’t exist.

By the way..do you want to know an easy way to spot nofollow links?

One way to spot nofollow links is to right click on a site and click ‘View source’. Then go up to ‘Edit’ and then ‘Find’. From there you’ll want to type ‘nofollow’ into the search box.

It is a very tedious process, but as in the video tutorial there are addons and extensions you can find and use...

I hope this really helps demystify the follow and nofollow links and what they really mean

+1
RE: What are "Dofollow Links and Nofollow links and why should you think about them?
5/9/2013 2:10:20 PM
Excellent post!!
I know when I started blogging I got so confused about this...

VERY helpful post,
Thank you!
Lesly
Lesly Federici RN http://www,usmileradio.com http://www.leslynotes.com http://www.leslyfederici.net
+1
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: What are "Dofollow Links and Nofollow links and why should you think about them?
5/9/2013 2:39:12 PM
Thanks Lesly and glad you found it helpful...lol, feel free to share this with your fans and friends...

Quote:
Excellent post!!
I know when I started blogging I got so confused about this...

VERY helpful post,
Thank you!
Lesly
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2013 2:18:00 AM
This is an excellent topic, Diane. Many folks are so overwhelmed by all the things they hear that they don't even try to start to blog.

I am amazed at the number of people I get asking me how difficult it is to blog.

I tell them, "Just write."

They ask, "Is that it?"

I say, "No, but it's all you need to know to start."

Most people, once they start blogging, will quickly begin to pick up all the tricks of the trade, as soon as they realize it's not so mysterious and overwhelming, after all.

Dave
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2013 2:32:43 AM
Number 1 Dave..thank you
Number 2. People can learn to blog which is why I am so glad that Lesly has started the blogging club
Number 3. The trick to blogging is finding something that they love to write about and know that they will be able to write for a long time. Blogging is not a short term exercise, one has to look at least 5 yrs down the road, which is why I have always said..do not write for money..write for you passion or interest.
Number 4 Whether people realize it or not..there is always going to be readers to what ever you are interested in...write to that not to anything else
Number 5 For every single niche out there, you will always be able to find a product or service that will harmonize with your blog..it may not be a program or " scheme", but it may be more interesting to your readers. Example if you write about guitars..then affiliate with music or sheet music of dropshipping of accessories to guitars. One can ALWAYS use advertising so an affiliate program such as Adlandpro is perfect for EVERY niche

is there a number 6?

oh ya, maybe one more..yes there are things that people need to learn, yes it takes time, but in the end..what you have created is your own self publishing network..what a concept!

Quote:
This is an excellent topic, Diane. Many folks are so overwhelmed by all the things they hear that they don't even try to start to blog.

I am amazed at the number of people I get asking me how difficult it is to blog.

I tell them, "Just write."

They ask, "Is that it?"

I say, "No, but it's all you need to know to start."

Most people, once they start blogging, will quickly begin to pick up all the tricks of the trade, as soon as they realize it's not so mysterious and overwhelming, after all.

Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!