Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
quotes by Sherlock Holmes
4/14/2013 11:03:22 PM

"I cannot live without brain-work. What else is there to live for?"
~Sherlock Holmes (The Sign of Four)

"They say that genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains,' he remarked with a smile. 'It's a very bad definition, but it does apply to detective work.
~Sherlock Holmes (A Study in Scarlet)

"There is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before."
~ Sherlock Holmes ( A Study in Scarlet)

" I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule."
~ Sherlock Holmes (The Sign of Four)

"What one man can invent another can discover."
~ Sherlock Holmes (The Adventure of the Dancing Man)

"What object is served by this circle of misery and violence and fear? It must tend to some end, or else our universe is ruled by chance, which is unthinkable."
~ Sherlock Holmes (The Cardboard Box)

"My mind is like a racing engine, tearing itself to pieces because it is not connected up with the work for which it was built."
~ Sherlock Holmes (The Man with the Twisted Lip)

"My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession,—or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world."

"Nothing clears up a case so much as stating it to another person."
~ Sherlock Holmes (Silver Blaze

"I confess that I have been blind as a mole, but it is better to learn wisdom late than never to learn it at all."
~ Sherlock Holmes ( The Man with the Twisted Lip)

"A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants."
~ Sherlock Holmes (The Five Orange Pips)

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: quotes by Sherlock Holmes
4/15/2013 1:26:05 AM
Hi Diane,

As an old reader of Sherlock Holmes stories, this topic appears fascinating to me. I am in a hurry now, but will keep an eye on it until I can hopefully participate more actively.

Thank you,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/15/2013 1:34:22 AM
There are certain books and characters that I absolutely loved when I was younger and one of them was Sherlock Holmes. I look forward to what you have to say Miguel :-)
Quote:
Hi Diane,

As an old reader of Sherlock Holmes stories, this topic appears fascinating to me. I am in a hurry now, but will keep an eye on it until I can hopefully participate more actively.

Thank you,

Miguel
+2
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/15/2013 6:21:09 AM
Hi Diane and Miguel,

I read Scherlock Holmes, but it was a few centuries ago, in my native, so ... much has been forgotten, and honestly, I was closer to Miss Marple.

But next quote could also be my own:

+2
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/15/2013 12:47:08 PM
I feel the same way Branka, thanks for sharing :-)

Quote:
Hi Diane and Miguel,

I read Scherlock Holmes, but it was a few centuries ago, in my native, so ... much has been forgotten, and honestly, I was closer to Miss Marple.

But next quote could also be my own:

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!