Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: Lunatics, Lovers and Poets ...dedicated to THE GREAT AND INIMITABLE ...
4/1/2013 7:47:21 AM
April 2013 I'd dedicate to making my English more useful and easier to be understood. This thread should stagnate until then.

+3
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/1/2013 9:10:49 AM
+3
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/1/2013 9:17:23 AM
+3
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2013 10:08:48 AM

This is the classic view of Anne Hathaway's cottage published in numerous magazines and brochures and captured by generations of tourists.

Anne Hathaway's Cottage is a twelve-roomed farmhouse where the wife of William Shakespeare lived as a child in the village of Shottery, Warwickshire, England, about 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Stratford-upon-Avon. Spacious, and with several bedrooms, it is now set in extensive gardens.

The earliest part of the house was built prior to the 15th century. The cottage was known as Newlands Farm in Shakespeare's day and had more than 90 acres (36 hectares) of land attached to it. As in many houses of the period, it has multiple chimneys to spread the heat evenly throughout the house during winter. The largest chimney was used for cooking. It also has visible timber framing, typical of vernacular Tudor style architecture.

After the death of Hathaway's father, the cottage was owned by her brother Bartholomew, and was passed down the Hathaway family until 1846, when financial problems forced them to sell it. However, it was still occupied by them as tenants when it was acquired in 1892 by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, which removed later additions and alterations. In 1969 the cottage was badly damaged in a fire, but was restored by the Trust.[1] It is now open to public visitors as a museum.

+4
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/1/2013 10:35:28 AM
Roger, this is awesome, thanks so much for bringing it here!

Love,
Branka
+3

facebook
Like us on Facebook!