Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
1/16/2013 8:58:29 AM

Quote:
Hi Miguel,

I was watching a program on TV called the Road Show. It is of all kinds of things that people bring in to get prices of things. I was amazed at what came up when I turned it on. It was a book of Salvador Dali paintings. The lady was at this place, didn't hear the name, but she heard about Salvador being in the area. She took her book and he painted a figure on the front page and signed it. They said with his signature and drawing it was worth $10,00o to $15,000. It was done in ink. I wish I had heard the whole story, but I got a few pieces. I was thinking of I wish Miguel and Roger could see this.

I would have loved seeing that.

Miguel's latest here are great.

The amount of knowledge that Dali showed us was extraordinary. He loved those old masters but didn't leave it there. There is no attempt to just copy. Dali always had a point to make. Nothing was ever too big to tackle.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/17/2013 5:12:45 PM

Dear friends, I will begin to show now a few works by Dali that have been left out so far - some of them by chance, others because I judged them (maybe wrongly) not really relevant. Of the latter, the two not very well-known early works presented below have in common the image of an old cart seen in the distance. The bottom painting, a gouache, must not be confused with Dali's most famous Burning Giraffe (also of 1937, but painted in oil on panel) that you may see here.

Salvador Dali - The Phantom Cart (oil on panel, 1933)

Salvador Dali - Burning Giraffe (gouache on paper, 1937)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/17/2013 5:26:25 PM

Unlike the two works shown in the above post, the three presented below are pretty well known, particularly those in the middle and the bottom.

Salvador Dali - Birth of a New World (oil on canvas, 1942)

Salvador Dali - The Temptation of Saint Anthony (oil on canvas, 1946)

Salvador Dali - Raphaelesque Head Exploding
(oil on canvas, 1951)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/17/2013 7:01:46 PM

The Saint Anthony painting is on such a visually gigantic scale and the New World one has that middle-ages feel with a modern twist.

Great images again.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/18/2013 1:46:48 AM
You are right, Roger; those two you mention are in addition pretty famous, in particular the Saint Anthony painting.

And
there is this interesting analysis of the one presented at the bottom of the same post (even though it does not mention the crown chakra of the Hindu doctrines):

Raphaelesque Head Exploding, 1951

This is yet another work in which Dalí combines imagery and references to many different facets of his life into a whole. Dalí's Classical fascination with the atomic structure, a return to the influences of the Renaissance, and his religious background all come together in this remarkable work.

Dalí's interest in perfect forms led him to idolize the rhinoceros horns which can be seen floating above the figure's left eyebrow. These horns represent Dalí's conviction that the basis of life itself was indeed a spiral. The Madonna face here is depicted in a state of nuclear fragmentation, thus further illustrating Dalí's point. The crown of the head seems to be made up of a vaulted ceiling, certainly a reference to Dalí's love of all things classical, and perhaps to the ruins of Ampurius near his childhood home.

Quote:

The Saint Anthony painting is on such a visually gigantic scale and the New World one has that middle-ages feel with a modern twist.

Great images again.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!