Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
8/20/2011 1:49:27 AM
Fried breaded green tomatoes with a hot sauce and mayo dipping sauce.
2 eggs
Salt
1 1/2 cups panko Japanese style bread crumbs
2 tsp thyme
3 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2" thick
1 cup flour
1 3/4 cups oil
1 tsp sriracha sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise

Whisk eggs with a pinch of salt. Mix bread crumbs and thyme. Coat tomatoes with flour, then egg then bread crumbs. Heat oil in a skillet. Fry tomatoes until golden, 2 min. per side. Mix sriracha and mayo for dipping, then SERVE...
Connect on Skype: Wanda Rawlins - Trainer/Coach/Consulting Email: 12bizbrand@gmail.com
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
8/20/2011 3:24:16 AM

Hi Wanda Sue,

Thanks for a Recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes. Not quite what I'm used to, but it sounds pretty good. I do use the Sriracha Sauce on my Thai Food though.

Back when we were traveling down in Georgia, shooting Glamour Portraits, we ran into a young woman who had been an extra in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, which was filmed just down the road from where she was living, in the little town of Juliette, GA. Since she was interested in doing hair and or makeup for us during the Photo Shoots, we met her down at The Whistle Stop Cafe there in Juliette, and had lunch a couple of times.

Now let me tell you, that was some Fried Green Tomatoes the way they was meant to be fixed. They were absolutely melt-in-ya-mouth delicious and the Bennett's Barbecue wasn't too bad either. Some of the most expensive BBQ that I've ever eaten, 'cause a Sandwich, an order of Fried Green Tomatoes, and an Iced Tea was a little over $9.00, but then you know what they say, "The secret's in the Sauce."

So, here's how to make Fried Green Tomatoes like they do at the Whistle Stop...

Fried Green Tomatoes Southern Style

What you’ll need: A little flour (self rising or plain, doesn’t matter), corn meal, season all (Seasoning Salt), and green tomatoes. Also oil for frying and a little milk for dredging. Make sure to slice your tomatoes kind of thick.

I use about a cup and a half of corn meal. This isn’t one of those things that has to be precise but I’m estimating for those of you who really want measurements. Then, add a little flour to it. This will act as sort of a “glue” to help hold it all together. Add about four tablespoons of flour. Next, add enough season all to color your mixture. I use about two tablespoons which I know sounds like a lot but, well just do it. If you don’t have season all you can season your meal by adding salt and pepper.

Dip both sides of each slice into milk and then dip into your meal mixture. Press down and coat both sides well.

I used regular vegetable oil. You want it to come up about half way or so on the slices. Make sure you heat your oil well before you add the tomatoes. The key to having things that aren’t “greasy” is to heat the oil really well. That way, when you drop your food into it, the food is seared right off and then cooks from there. If your oil isn’t hot enough to do that, you basically end up soaking your breading in oil for a few minutes and it gets soggy and kinda blah. My oil is just colored by the cornmeal in it at this point. It was clear to begin with.

Brown each side well. I cook these on medium to medium high heat. Try not to turn them but once or twice as the coating is somewhat delicate and you don’t want that to come off.

Drain your tomatoes on a paper towel lined plate. I even take another paper towel and blot the tops or turn them over onto it. Then you’re ready to go! These are delicious! They have a twang to them that ripened tomatoes don’t have.

I hope you all will try them, and if you do, then let me know what you think.

Y'all Have A Good'Un Ya Hear,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!