Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Leonardo da Vinci paintings to be brought together
7/30/2011 9:07:41 PM

Leonardo da Vinci paintings to be brought together

London's National Gallery and The Louvre in
The National Portrait Gallery's version of the work will be loaned to The Louvre

Paris have announced plans to unite both of
versions of Leonardo da Vinci's Virgin Of The Rocks

The Louvre is to lend its version to the London gallery where it will be displayed as part of a new exhibition.

In return, the gallery will lend the French institution its cartoon called The Virgin And Child With Saint Anne And John The Baptist.

National Gallery director Dr Nicholas Penny said they are "delighted".

He said that his colleagues were grateful to their French counterparts for the loan of the "celebrated painting" which was created 25 years prior to the National's Virgin Of The Rocks Together work.

The two exhibitions will mark the artist's career and will provide a "unique chance" for visitors to study his work.

The Louvre's director Henri Loyrette said the "exceptional collaboration" between the two galleries will provide the "historical juxtaposition long desired by art historians".

The National's Painter Of The Court Of Milan exhibition will start in November and run until February next year.

The Louvre's show will start in March and will continue until June.

More On This Story

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Leonardo da Vinci paintings to be brought together
7/30/2011 9:46:38 PM

Dear Friends,

Below is Leonardo's Virgin of the Rocks in the Louvre's version. The ethereal beauty of this great masterwork in both versions is perhaps as great as that of Leonardo's Mona Lisa, which is considered to be his top masterwork. This may be partly due to the lot of hard work in them: thousands of strokes were made to achieve the exquisite soft nuances and the superb overall softness of the figures.

Leonardo Da Vinci - The Virgin Of The Rocks (Louvre)

And, here is the face of the Angel for the Virgin of the Rocks in both versions.

Leonardo's studies of faces were usually made in soft black and red chalks. Legend has it that he took no less than six months for his preliminary drawings of the Mona Lisa, but maybe this was due to his reputedly being in love with her...

Have you ever noticed the main difference between both versions? In the Louvre's version the angel is pointing at the child Jesus with his hand...

And why the difference? Well, nobody knows... though the theories explaining it abound.

Blessings,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2011 7:38:41 PM
Quote:

Dear Friends,

Below is Leonardo's Virgin of the Rocks in the Louvre's version. The ethereal beauty of this great masterwork in both versions is perhaps as great as that of Leonardo's Mona Lisa, which is considered to be his top masterwork. This may be partly due to the lot of hard work in them: thousands of strokes were made to achieve the exquisite soft nuances and the superb overall softness of the figures.

Leonardo Da Vinci - The Virgin Of The Rocks (Louvre)

And, here is the face of the Angel for the Virgin of the Rocks in both versions.

Leonardo's studies of faces were usually made in soft black and red chalks. Legend has it that he took no less than six months for his preliminary drawings of the Mona Lisa, but maybe this was due to his reputedly being in love with her...

Have you ever noticed the main difference between both versions? In the Louvre's version the angel is pointing at the child Jesus with his hand...

And why the difference? Well, nobody knows... though the theories explaining it abound.

Blessings,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

Wonderful news.

I think that I will need another London trip.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2013 3:17:29 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Dear Friends,

Leonardo Da Vinci - The Virgin Of The Rocks (Louvre)?xml:namespace prefix = o /

Blessings,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

Wonderful news.

I think that I will need another London trip.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!