Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Disk Cleanup
5/22/2011 8:06:00 PM
Welcome Friends, Visitors

Do you need more disk space?
If the answer is yes and you don't want to buy a
second hard drive, consider using "Disk Cleanup".

Disk Cleanup

Disk Cleanup is Windows XP's tool to speed up your computer by removing temporary files that might be cluttering up your disk space. Disk Cleanup doesn't require rebooting your computer! What's nice about the tool is it gives you more control over what it throws away.

Before running Disk Cleanup, you must close all your running windows,
your email and web browser so you need to print this tip.

Go to "Start Menu", choose "All Programs", then "Accessories", then "System Tools", then "Disk Cleanup". Select the drive you want to clean, usually it's the "C drive". Disk Cleanup will assess your disk for a short time and open a window that tells you how much space you can make available by deleting different files.

I recommend unchecking "Downloaded Program Files", this folder can contain useful add ins that you might miss in multiple programs. "Setup Log Files" is also best left undeleted in most cases.

If you scroll down within that window, you'll see "Temporary Files". Sometimes ScanDisk will incorrectly show that deleting "Temporary Files" will gain you 0 Kb because it only counts files that are less than 1-2 weeks old. Leave "Catalog Files for the Content Indexer" unchecked, then click "OK".

Another window will appear! Under the "More Options" tab, you'll see three options with "Clean Up" buttons, look at the third one. If your system regularly saves System Restore Points, you can delete all but the most recent restore point to reclaim more space. Click that "Clean Up" button, then "OK".

You're done, I recommend to defrag your cleaned-up disk to make the most of your new space.

:-) Have a great day

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Disk Cleanup
5/23/2011 9:35:26 AM

Great advice, only problem is that my wife complains afterwards that she has to do passwords all over again on some sitesa.

Roger

+0
5/23/2011 12:53:46 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks to your visit and posting a comment!
This is something new your revealing here. When you use the Disk Cleanup make sure you go over all your options. Un-check what you don't want cleaned, that's what's nice with this tool!

Enjoy the day
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/23/2011 6:32:00 PM

Florence,

Glad to bring comment

+0