Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Happy Thanksgiving My Friends
11/26/2010 3:26:32 AM

Hi Pat,

Sorry to be so late getting back to you, but as I said, I had somewhat of a Treat today, in that I was invited to my Brother's for Thanksgiving and I got back kind of late. Actually, we all went down to his Son, my Nephew's house down in Charlotte, NC, and had a wonderful time.

I'm always happy to see you her my Friend, and your's and Hubby's "Day After" Celebration sounds great. Glad you liked the Recipes. Here's one more that you might like. It's a little bit healthier too, with the Apples & the Nuts.

Sweet Potato Apple Scallop

Ingredients

• 2 pounds sweet potatoes
  • 2 medium apples, peeled and cored
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine

Directions

1. Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Cut apples into 1/4-in. rings; cut in half. Arrange over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine the brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and orange extract; sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until apples are tender.

Have A Blessed Thanksgiving My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2010 4:39:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Phil, I copied several of your recipes to try for the Christmas dinner.

I am the only one who cooks in the immediate family, so I purchased some of the dinner from Bob Evans restaurant. However, I made a turkey roast-white meat, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sausage dressing, deviled eggs, cut up a couple kinds of cheese, and made jello for the grandkids. I purchased the pies due to shortage of time to bake.

My 19 year old oven broke a few days before the holiday, but my new one was installed the day before Thanksgiving, so I was able to get my food done, but had a pared down menu due to the lack of opportunity to cook some dishes in advance. I often make a pumpkin pie, macaroni and cheese, and another type of meat, such as pork tenderloin to go along with what I made this time.

Thanks for sharing your recipes, Phil.

My husband doesn't care for sweet potatoes so I don't usually make those for the holiday, but your recipe for the sweet potato apple scallop sounds yummy. I may try that one for the Christmas meal.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2010 3:32:40 PM

Hi Donna,

Thanks for coming by and I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. It sounds like the Family was all there, and that's what makes this time of year so special, sharing Good Times with those you love. I'm sorry that your oven conked out, but it's good that you got a replacement so quickly. Everything sounds delicious. It doesn't sound like there were many leftovers, however, if you have some at Christmas, you might want to give these a try.

For those classic Asian flavors with an all-American twist, here's a great way to use up those leftovers. I suggest enlisting the help of a couple of people rolling the spring rolls, as this takes up the majority of the prep time. I also bake the rolls instead of frying them, to cut down on the calories, but you can deep fry them for extra flavor. If you can't find spring roll wrappers, the you can use the egg roll wrappers. However, they don't bake well, so deep-fry them instead. I also prefer to use real soy sauce brewed from soybeans, and not the stuff with caramel coloring and salt

Leftover Turkey Spring Rolls w/Cranberry Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
  • 2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey
  • 1/2 carrot, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash®)
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 6 cups finely shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce (optional)
  • 50 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
  • 1/4 cup jellied cranberry sauce
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 dash soy sauce

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil and sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook and stir the turkey, carrot, garlic, black pepper, ginger, and garlic and herb seasoning until the garlic releases its fragrance, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and continue cooking until the carrot begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, oyster sauce, and remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Continue to stir, until the cabbage is soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, and set aside. Drain off any excess liquid.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. To fill the wrappers, separate and place the spring roll wrappers onto your work surface, with the points of the square pointing up and down in a diamond shape. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the turkey filling in a line across the center of the wrapper, and fold the bottom point up to cover the filling. Fold the two side points in on top of the folded wrapper, to fully enclose the filling. The two side points should be about 1 inch apart. Firmly but gently, roll the spring roll into a tight cylinder, and roll the wrapper over to firmly press down the remaining point. Set the filled wrappers seam-side down onto the parchment-lined baking sheets so they don't touch. The rolls should be about the thickness of a finger.
  4. Bake the filled rolls in the preheated oven until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Mash the cranberry sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until the sauce is smooth, then whisk in the sugar, vinegar, and a dash of soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer, whisking the sauce, until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce reduces and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove sauce to a bowl. Serve the rolls hot with the sauce.

Have A Great Weekend My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!