Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Happy Thanksgiving My Friends
11/20/2010 6:59:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since Thanksgiving is only a few more days away, I thought we might share a Traditional Thanksgiving Meal.

A little later, I'll also have a few alternate suggestions for those folks, like myself, with those "Special" diets. I hope you'll join in and let us know what your favorite recipes are for Thanksgiving. As you know, I love to try new suggestions.

First, a Traditional Thanksgiving around my house...

Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing

Ingredients:

10-12 lb. whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
2 Pounds chestnuts
2 Cups butter
2 Cups minced onion
10 Cups dried bread crumbs
2 Cups minced celery
1 tsp Thyme, dried
1 tsp Savory, dried
1 tsp Rosemary, dried
1 tsp Marjoram, dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preparation

Cut a cross on the flat side of each chestnut, with a sharp knife.

Cover it with water and simmer, in a saucepan for about 5 minutes.

Drain and remove the shells and inner brown skins.

Cover it with fresh water and boil it for about 20 to 30 minutes till tender.

Drain and chop coarsely.

To prepare the stuffing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium flame.

Add onions and celery to it, and cook till tender and mix in bread crumbs and chestnuts.

Season it with, marjoram, thyme, savory, and rosemary.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Rinse the turkey under cold running water, and pat dry.

Massage salt and pepper into the body cavities and loosely spoon stuffing into body cavities.

Seal the skin with skewers or kitchen twine, and tie the drumsticks together.

Put the turkey on a rack in a medium roasting pan.

Roast the turkey 3-1/2 to 4- 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, till internal temperature of thigh reaches 180 degrees F and stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.

Place a foil tent over the turkey during the last half of roasting time to avoid the over browning.

Remove it from the oven and place on the platter and allow the turkey to stand for about 20 minutes before carving.

Crumb Topped Green Bean Mushroom Bake

Ingredients ~

1-1/2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation ~

Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the green beans in the boiling water until softened, but not fully cooked, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and the garlic and cook until they start to turn golden. Add in the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are cooked but still firm and not overly brown.
Add in the green beans, tossing to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a large baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Cover and place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the green beans reach a desired tenderness.
This dish can be made ahead up to this point and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
To make the crumb topping, melt 1 tablespoon butter, add the panko crumbs and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and mix in the grated parmesan cheese.
Remove the green beans from the oven, uncover and top with the panko-parmesan mixture. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes or until the panko crumbs toast slightly. Remove from the oven, grind a bit of black pepper over the top, squeeze on some fresh lemon juice and serve.

Baked Spiced Butternut Squash

Ingredients:

2 small butternut squash
melted butter
cinnamon sugar

Preparation:

Brush a jelly-roll pan with butter and heat oven to 350°.

Carefully cut each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and soft fibers with a spoon. Brush the inside of each squash with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place squash halves, seasoned cut side down, in the prepared pan. Add about 1/2 cup water to the pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Serve halves immediately or scoop the squash out into a serving dish and discard the skin.

Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe

Ingredients:

• 5 large sweet potatoes (4-5 lbs.)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 Tbsp. orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 10.5 oz. package miniature marshmallows

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 to 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

Wash and prick potatoes with a fork several times. Place on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour. Alternatively, place on a paper towel in the microwave, and heat on high 6-12 minutes until soft.

Let potatoes cool. Peel and place sweet potato pulp in a food processor.*

Add remaining ingredients except marshmallows. Puree until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread marshmallows over top of casserole. Bake another 5-10 minutes on the top rack, until the marshmallows brown.

Fresh Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
  • zest of one orange

Preparation:

Place orange juice and sugar in a medium or large saucepan. If you know you like foods sweet, use the whole cup of sugar. If you prefer a tart cranberry sauce, start with 1/2 cup of sugar. You can always add more sugar to the cranberry sauce later. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Add cranberries, stir, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and sauce thickens. Taste, and add more sugar if necessary. Stir in orange zest.

Cool and serve. This cranberry sauce can be prepared up to a week in advance. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

• 5 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1-1/2 cups milk or cream

Preparation:

Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.

Place the potatoes in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover with water by one inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Uncover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Let the potatoes simmer 20-30 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes in a colander.

Return the potatoes to pot. Add the salt, pepper, butter and cream cheese. Mash with a potato masher. Add the cream - you want to add a bit more cream than you normally would if you were eating the mashed potatoes right away. It will get absorbed in the reheating.

Taste the mashed potatoes, and adjust the seasonings.

Let the potatoes cool, spread in the prepared baking dish, and refrigerate. When ready to serve the mashed potatoes, preheat the oven to 325 degrees, bake the mashed potatoes 30-40 minutes until hot all the way through, or reheat in a slow cooker on low for 1-3 hours.

PUMPKIN ROLL

Ingredients:

For the cake:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
Two third cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Three fourth cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
half teaspoon salt
half teaspoon nutmeg
1 half teaspoon cinnamon
half cup chopped pecans

Preparation:

For the filling:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons margarine
half teaspon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well blended. Line a 10 half" by 15" cookie sheet with parchment paper, trimming excess. Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet, spread evenly. Sprinke with pecans. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Prepare a linen towel heavily sprinkled with powdered sugar. After baking, turn the cookie sheet onto the towel, parchment paper side up. The cake should slide out onto the towel. Remove paper and roll up the cake into the towel. Cool 30-40 minutes. For the filling, stir together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, margarine and vanilla. Mix well. After the roll has cooled, unroll it and spread the filling evenly. Re-roll and slice for serving.

Wishing You & Yours A Blessed & Happy Thanksgiving,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Happy Thanksgiving My Friends
11/20/2010 7:48:58 PM
Hi Phil,

That looks a lot like our Thanksgiving dinner. I go to my girlfriends for dinner. It takes us a couple days to get everything together. This is my favorite holiday of the year. I think because all of her kids are there. She has 6 kids and 14 grandchildren it is an over flowing house. Plus her sister and husband. It is so much fun and the day goes way to fast for me. It is always a let down when it is over.

My mother made Chestnut dressing, I don't the family liked it too well she never made it again. Well I liked it and I will always think how proud she was when she made that dressing, but didn't get much appreciation for it.. I would like to live sometimes over again, I would be a much nicer daughter then I was then... Life is funny is it, as soon as you don't have it, you want it.

Have a great thanksgiving my friend.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/21/2010 9:09:48 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by my Friend. As I mentioned over at Donna's Recipe Forum, I'm actually not cooking for Thanksgiving this year. I've been invited over to my Brother's for Dinner this year, so other than making a couple of desserts, I'm basically just going to sit back and enjoy.

That Dinner with your Friend and her family sounds delightful. I know what you mean about loved ones, especially Parents. We always wish that we would have had more time, to say what we really meant to say to them. That's why I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone again real soon at our big Family Reunion up in Heaven.

For now, we all just have to make sure that we love and care for one another here on Earth, and always spread the Good News of our Father's Eternal Love. Thank You Jesus.

Have A Blessed & Happy Thanksgiving Dear Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/22/2010 1:02:46 AM

Hello My Friends,

When we started this Thread, I promised you all a few "Alternate" or "Different" Thanksgiving Choices, so let's proceed.

For Thanksgiving, many of you are cooking a large traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. But what if there are only one or two or three in your family? Slaving over a huge meal that will mostly end up as leftovers isn't a great way to spend a holiday.

There are many ways to scale back the traditional Thanksgiving meal. Here's one alternate that's sure to please the family. Yes, you can serve Chicken for Thanksgiving! It doesn't taste much different from Turkey. Also, if you must have turkey, just use boneless skinless turkey thighs in this delicious recipe.

Crockpot Chicken Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

• 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup peach preserves OR apricot preserves
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch

Preparation:

Sprinkle chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, curry powder, and ginger. Place sweet potatoes and onions in 3-1/2 quart slow cooker and top with chicken. Top with peach preserves, vinegar, and soy sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with fork.

Combine chicken broth and cornstarch and mix well. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened.

Serves 4

Have A Happy Thanksgiving My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/22/2010 9:00:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

In keeping with the idea of Alternative Thanksgivng dishes, here's a couple more that you might try.

Are you tired of the same old Desserts every Thanksgiving? I have now found a replacement for pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving. Adults and kids alike will rave over this recipe. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream. This makes six, but I usually double it for 12.

Pumpkin Bread Puddin'

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 1/2 cups white bread cubes
  • 3/8 cup miniature chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 6 large custard cups.
  2. Whisk together the egg and egg yolks in a large bowl. Add the milk, sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; whisk into a smooth batter. Add the bread cubes and toss gently to dampen. Set aside for 15 minutes.
  3. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cups. Sprinkle chocolate chips and brown sugar over each portion. Arrange the custard cups in a shallow baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan to halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until pudding is golden brown and puffy, about 40 minutes; transfer to cooling rack for 10 minutes.

Not only for Thanksgiving, but here's a treat that you can make well ahead and pleasantly surprise your Family on any special ocassion. First, shape these simply seasoned biscuits into knots or twists. They can then be baked and then frozen for up to 2 months. Just reheat in a 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes.

Herbed Biscuit Knots

Ingredients

• 1 (12 ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Directions

1. Cut each biscuit in half. Roll each portion into a 6-in. rope; tie in a loose knot. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the oil and seasonings; immediately brush over warm biscuits, then brush again.

Have A Wonderful Family Thanksgiving My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!