Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Gardening, indoors and outdoors
10/22/2010 4:24:57 AM
I am just curious how many gardeners are here and what your favorite plants are.

My fall visit to my sister's iris farm in CA has ended and I am back home. The fall visit is to help out with planting and potting for next year. Of course, a few iris rhizomes followed me home! Well, more than a few. LOL It's like being in a candy shop and the shopkeeper keeps saying, "Do you want this one? What about this one? This is a good one." so, of course, I can't resist. My sister ships rhizomes in August. If you want to see where I've been, check it out at http://www.napairis.com

When you look at that, consider that it is only my sister and brother-in-law, plus my 86 year old Mom, that take care of the place. Mom does the potting and takes care of the 2 shade houses. My sister does all the planting, while my brother-in-law does many things to keep everything moving smoothly. For the Spring Open Fields, I work in the shade houses selling the blooming irises in pots.

I have to pot the rhizomes I bring home because I do not have any good space to plant in the ground because of all the tree roots. Ok, I'll admit it. I brought back about 150 rhizomes. They are all potted up, though. I really need to take inventory to see how many I have. That's a lot of not being able to resist...

I also garden inside. Years ago in Florida, I belonged to the Upper Pinellas African Violet Society. I showed my violets and some of their relatives. I especially like episcias, which do very well in a hanging basket. They like it warm and humid and I just acquired a couple of them, so I don't know how it is going to go through the winter here in Washington state. We already have the humidifiers working.

I have to have plants in my home. The spider plant is getting pretty large now. I am looking for places and ways to get more plants in the house.

I'll tell you about my Spring visits to my sister's in another note. What are some of your favorite indoor plants? And outdoor plants? I am looking forward to finding out about new plants to consider acquiring. If anyone has any questions about plants, include it here and surely there will be someone who can help you.

Cheryl

Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Gardening, indoors and outdoors
10/22/2010 7:37:47 AM

Hi Cheryl,

You will know from my past conversations that Iris are my favourites.

Another favourite of mine is Kalmia latifolia. An acid loving shrub with what look like hand-made back-to-front flowers. Look at the buds.

I'm heading off out the door but I'll be back.

+0
10/22/2010 2:18:48 PM

Hello Cheryl, you will find there are a lot of us here who love gardening!! We have lots of pictures and posting in my Expressions of Nature forum.

Roger, that looks like what we call "Mountain Laurel", I used to see it on our trips through the Appalachian Mountains. Always thought it was so beautiful

Have a great day!

Sara

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/22/2010 5:49:32 PM
HI Cheryl,

This is a nice site. As soon as I saw it I thought of Roger. Roger I am so glad to see you here, with your favorite flower.

Thanks Cheryl for making Rogers day. lol

Hugs,
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/22/2010 7:26:53 PM
Quote:

Hello Cheryl, you will find there are a lot of us here who love gardening!! We have lots of pictures and posting in my Expressions of Nature forum.

Roger, that looks like what we call "Mountain Laurel", I used to see it on our trips through the Appalachian Mountains. Always thought it was so beautiful

Have a great day!

Sara

Exquisite photo

You are so right Sara, that's just what they are. It's a shrub which is just pretty but it's when you look at the individual flowers that the magic is evident.

In the UK we have tiny little biscuits,called Iced Gems, with hard piped icing on them. They were a favourite of mine when a child (a couple of years ago) and they look just like the kalmia buds.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!