Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
STRANGE BUT TRUE
7/31/2010 11:18:25 PM

Here are 7 pictures of European trucks whose trailers are decorated to look like the sides are missing and the products they are hauling are painted on the sides and back.

The first one is of a bottle of beer and looks so real, like it is coming out the side of the trailer.

The second is of canvas tote bag.

The third is of Pepsi cases and they are all stacked on the ceiling, and the bottom of the trailer is empty.

The fourth is of another truck with the windshield facing the back and there has been a driver painted in the driver's seat looking back over his shoulder to appear like he is driving backwards. (Now this one is just plain scary, even when the
German reads 'On the wrong way?')

The fifth one is of an aquarium with fish swimming in it.

The sixth one is of a bookshelf with books lined up in it and a post-it-note with an advertisement on it, probably for the company that sells the books.

The last one is for Pringles-Hot & Spicy. The 'inside' of the trailer has the appearance of having been through a fire.

If you have US/Canadian examples I'd love to see them./

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: STRANGE BUT TRUE
7/31/2010 11:29:58 PM
area Type="main" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2" color="black" style="0"

A newborn kangaroo is about 1 inch in length.

A normal cow's stomach has four compartments: the rumen, the recticulum (storage area), the omasum (where water is absorbed), and the abomasum ( the only compartment with digestive juices).

A notch in a tree will remain the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.

A panagram is a sentence that contains all 26 letters of the English alphabet. For example: Pack my red box with five dozen quality jugs.

A peanut is not a nut or a pea, it's a legume.

A penguin swims at a speed of approximately 15 miles per hour.

A perfect game in baseball is one in which the same player pitches the entire game without allowing any player of the opposing team to reach first base -by any means.

A person afflicted with hexadectylism has six fingers or six toes on one or both hands and feet.

A person has to travel west to get from Los Angeles, CA to Reno, NV.

A person who is lost in the woods and starving can obtain nourishment by chewing on his shoes. Leather has enough nutritional value to sustain life for a short time.

A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.

A piano leg went through the floor of the white house in 1948 during President Truman's term.

A pied-billed grebe is called a peebeegeebee by birdwatchers.

A pig is the only animal than can get sunburned.

A pineapple is a berry.

A poem written to celebrate a wedding is called an epithalamium.

A polar bears skin is black. Its fur is actually clear, but like snow it appears white.

A pole vaulter, when he lands, may absorb up to 20,000 pounds of pressure per square inch on the joints of his tubular thigh bones.

A polecat is not a cat. It is a nocturnal European weasel.

A poll of 3,000 Americans found that for 41 percent, the thing they're most afraid of is speaking before a group of people. 32 percent stated they were afraid of heights.

A porpoise swims slowly in a circle as it sleeps.

A Portsmouth, Ohio law ranks baseball players with "vagrants, thieves and other suspicious characters."

A pound of grasshoppers is three times as nutritious as a pound of beef.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit

A quarter of raw potato placed in each shoe at night will keep the leather soft and the shoes smelling fresh and clean.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2010 11:42:07 PM

We are not alone in the developed world

Social network websites are becoming a global phenomenon. Millions now go online to engage in social networks. According to Wikipedia, there are some 1.5 billion members worldwide. Where is this growth taking place? What does this mean for web2fordev? And what role do mobile phones play?

This first article is part of a series of three. It looks at the growth of social network websites worldwide, its implications and differences from former online network exchanges, and looks into the web2fordev potentials for mass engagement.

More than a year ago Tobias Eigen from Kabissa raised the question, "Does Africa use Social Network sites?" when he was looking at a social network map from Le Monde Diplomatique. At that time many countries were not yet featured on the map.

A lot has happened since then. Nonetheless it is still difficult to obtain reliable statistics. So, this is an attempt to highlight the numbers of social networks around the world, with particular focus on developing countries.

Asia

Asian societies are very conducive to social networks. Japan has the second largest Twitter community and one of the widest blogosphere. Besides countries such as Myanmar, where Internet access is severely regulated, all Asian countries account for vibrant social networks. By far, the largest is China with its QQ, being the largest social networking site that focuses on instant messaging and gaming with over 300 million active members. In India many social network sites are attracting an increasing number of members. The biggest social network in India is Orkut (Google) with 12.8 million visitors in December in 2008 and a total of 67 Million worldwide. But only 1.5 million out of a billion Indians are members of Facebook. Interestingly, only 230,460 of these are below 18 years of age and nearly 1 million are male. Malaysia and Indonesia account also for a steady growth in people engaging in social networking.

Africa

If one takes a look at the Vincos map, one could argue that Africa is lagging behind in the world, in terms of membership on social networking websites. Only 14 out of 50 African countries seem to have members on social networks. But the reality is quite different. Egypt alone has about 800.000 members on Facebook and according to the Opera mobile report, it has a high growth in accessing social networks through mobile phones. South Africa has shown for years that social networks in Africa will be run over mobile phones in the future. Mxit in South Africa, a mobile social network application with more than 5 million members, lets one engage in a community independently from location and time.
According to Appfrica, South Africa has 1.1 million Facebook members, Morocco 369,000, Tunisia 279,000, Nigeria 220,000, Kenya 150,000,and Mauritius 60,000. It is also Appfrica who presents an interesting little project, where Ugandans can interact Facebook through their mobile phones: Status.ug is a completely mobile gateway for Ugandans to also interact on Facebook. Appfrica estimates around 60,000 Facebook registered members in the Kampala area. Erik Hersman wrote on his blog about Sembuse, East Africa's first mobile social network “Sembuse is a mobile social network. It’s a way for East Africans to connect with each other via short messaging, cheaper than normal SMS messages (much like it’s counterpart Mxit in South Africa).”

A quick look at the analysis offered by Ignite Social Media, shows that many more social networks are used by African members:

A critical part of social network adaptation is a translation to many languages. Thanks to a group of Swahili scholars, Facebook launched a Swahili version of its network potentially targeting more than 110 Million people.

But there are many small networks appearing particularly through the social network platform ning.com, which are dedicated to a specific topic.

In closing, I would like to raise a few questions. Surely potential members of such networks face a lot of challenges such as access and low-bandwidth. But, if one looks at the still short-lived existence of website applications such as Facebook, it becomes obvious that we are just at the beginning. Almost a million people registered on Facebook in just three years for Egypt alone. Is this just a space for an elite in developing countries? What happens if these social networks would gain their space on mobile phones? What if social online exchange is not only for leisure, but for knowledge sharing and for generating ideas to tackle pressuring issues? These questions and more will be addressed in the forthcoming articles to appear on this web site.

Author: Christian Kreutz

+0
Jeffrey Obrien

543 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/1/2010 2:25:39 AM

Great Post Roger,

Photo's are not right,cannot see them.Please let me know when done mate as the information is very interesting & without the pic's Just doesn't make me see what I am trying to imageine.know what I mean Roger.I will return with my Strange but true post as soon as I have seen that its working right.

respectfully

jeffrey

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2010 5:16:51 AM
Ditto Roger, can't see the pictures in either of the posts.
Shalom,
Peter
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!