Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Hidden Details Discovered In Da Vinci Masterpiece
7/16/2010 1:26:51 AM
Dear Friends,
Until recently, it was believed that some of Leonardo Da Vinci's master works had actually been painted, at least partially, by certain of his most advances disciples, whether individually or in groups. In one notable case at least, namely his Madonna with the Yarnwinder (view HERE) the piece apparently was fully painted by a pupil, though it was believed to be a replica that survived after the original work by Da Vinci was lost. But this case was the exception, not the rule and besides, the said Madonna was so exquisitely painted that I have always doubted this version.
Well it seems now that another masterpiece by Leonardo, his most famed Virgin of the Rocks - the version treasured in the National Gallery in London, not the one in the Louvre, only second in fame to his most emblematic Mona Lisa - was totally painted by him - something that was always questioned by the experts. But there is some controversy about this belief, and this could be one of those cases where only time can tell the truth. I will leave it to you to decide on this difficult debate.
Thank you,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

NOTE: You may read the full article here: Hidden details discovered in Da Vinci piece

Restored Da Vinci painting reveals hidden details

Undated image made available in London

An undated image made available by the National Gallery in London of Leonardo da Vinci's Virgin on the Rocks before (left) and after restoration. The gallery says a restoration project for Leonardo da Vinci's 'Virgin of the Rocks' has revealed new details and suggest that the painter may have painted all the picture himself, instead of with his assistants as previously thought. The National Gallery says the 18-month project removed some yellowing varnish, enabling experts to take a closer look at the picture's brush strokes and styles.… Read more »

(AP Photo/The National Gallery) ** NO SALES **

Wed Jul 14, 9:32 pm ET

LONDON – A restoration project for Leonardo da Vinci's "Virgin of the Rocks" has revealed new details and suggest the Renaissance artist may have painted all the picture himself, instead of with his assistants as previously thought, a British gallery said Wednesday.

The 18-month conservation project involved removing much of some badly degraded varnish that was applied to the painting in the late 1940s, enabling experts to take a much closer look at the picture's brush strokes and styles, the National Gallery said.

The cleaning revealed the painting's full tonal range, especially in the darker areas, and resulted in a clearer sense of how the artist intended for space to recede through the rocky landscape, the gallery said.

It also affirmed that Leonardo likely painted the entire picture himself and intended for it to be unfinished.

The restored painting showed a range of completion from the barely sketched hand of the angel to the fully realized heads of the main figures — consistent with many of Leonardo's works. The Italian artist, said to be the "eternal perfectionist," is thought to have left his pictures unfinished because he wished to return to them later, gallery spokesman Thomas Almeroth-Williams said.

In the past, scholars believed the different levels of finish in "Virgin of the Rocks" showed that Leonardo was helped by assistants.

The painting dates from about 1491 to 1508 and is a later version of one on display in the Louvre in Paris.

The latest cleaning project followed years of scrutiny of the masterpiece.

In 2005, experts using infrared technology found two drawings hidden beneath the surface of the picture — one design was never painted, and the second one revealed Leonardo changed his mind about the subject several times.

The painting goes back on display in the National Gallery on Wednesday.

Online:

http://nationalgallery.org.uk/

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Hidden Details Discovered In Da Vinci Masterpiece
7/16/2010 1:46:58 AM
Hello again friends,

For comparison only, I would like to show below "the other" Virgin of the Rocks by Leonardo Da Vinci, the one that is treasured in the Louvre.

Leonardo Da Vinci - The Virgin of the Rocks (Louvre)

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2010 5:51:43 AM
Hello Luis Miguel,
I read a few articles and also saw TV programs on this issue in the recent past. One question came to mind and it's still stuck there with no obvious answer.
Most people like myself love art for arts sake, in other words the beauty of the art itself and great appreciation for the artist that shared his feelings with us. I'm not what you can call "educated" in art but as I said love and appreciate most art forms.
So here's the question from an uneducated art lover. What difference does it make whether students finished or even initiated some of the masterpieces attributed to Da Vinci? Will we love and appreciate them less? Will the museums take the pictures down and no longer "treasure" these magnificent works of art? Will their value be lowered or raised according to the latest findings? ETC..........
It appears to me as if this is an obsession that really has no meaning and will not in any way lessen the impact of these masterpieces.
Shalom,
Peter
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2010 7:17:21 AM

Luis,

Can't wait till this evening to take a good look at this.

Great subject as usual Luis.

Roger

+0
7/16/2010 5:45:53 PM

Miguel, this is very interesting and I am happy you found it and brought it to us. To think that he might have painted by himself is profound when it was thought that his students usually helped. In the first one that was restored, it is evident there was no hand on the angel and it must have been the way he wanted it. By comparison, the one with the hand does not seem to fit.

Maybe by research they will be able to determine for sure if it was all done by the same artist. No matter what, it is a divine picture, as all of Da Vinci's work remains.

Thank you friend for this wonderful forum for the Arts.

Love and blessings,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!