Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Another easy Hummus recipe
5/29/2010 5:27:37 AM
I have not tried this recipe since I do not have the ingredients yet, but it sounds healthy and good for a snack.

Appetizer -- Hummus

3 cups canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained
One half cup tahini (sesame paste)
8 cloves garlic, minced
Two thirds cup olive oil
One half cup fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
One half cup parsley, chopped

Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crackers, pita bread etc.

+0
RE: Another easy Hummus recipe
5/29/2010 1:03:51 PM

Donna, thank you for posting this. I saw this on one of the TV channels and did not write down the ingredients. Sounds really good and like you say - healthy. I believe they served it in shot glasses with vegetables stuck in it. No double-dipping at social events. It would take a lot of glasses for big gatherings but paper cups would work also.

I have to try it when I get the ingredients. I have sesame oil but not the paste, will have to order that.

Thanks again,

Sara

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2010 5:27:49 AM

Hi Sara,

I don't have the sesame paste, either. I have never used it so this will be a first for me.

Thanks for stopping by the recipe exchange!

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2010 10:06:52 PM
Hi Donna & Sara,
Of course, you can buy Tahini, or Sesame Seed Paste. However it's very easy to make. First of all, here's just a little bit about Sesame Seeds.
Sesame seeds have a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and aroma which is enhanced by toasting. They are available packaged in the spice section and in bulk quantity in Middle Eastern markets. Due to their high oil content, the seeds will quickly become rancid. It's best to purchase them in small amounts and use them quickly. Sesame seed oil on the other hand, has an exceptionally long shelf-life, and I have kept it for long periods between use and it has never gone rancid.

To bring out the nutlike flavor of sesame seeds, spread seeds on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350-degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often.
Tahini is the paste made of ground sesame seeds which is used in many Near and Far East recipes. This is a traditional recipe that is very simple to make with a blender or food processor.
Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup tepid water

Preparation:

Place sesame seeds in a blender or food processor and grind until smooth. Add sesame oil and salt. Process until combined. With the motor running, add the water in a very slow, steady stream and blend until smooth.

Yield: about 1/2 cup

Hope You Have A Terrific week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
5/31/2010 11:02:08 PM

Thank you Phil for the sesame paste recipe. However, I can't find sesame seeds around here so I will have to order. I have the sesame seed oil.

Too bad.

This sounds great and I can't wait to try it.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!