Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: POTW Feedback
1/11/2011 4:33:32 PM

Hi Barry,

Will there be any changes to the forum-activity rule this year? Some people start forums and don't even make a topic or any posts to their own forums, we saw that several times in 2010 and also this year so far. Also, some active forums that have no recent posts by the forum-owner in more than 30 days, those are only kept active by other people. Do you think a rule about forum owners actually making posts in their own forum within 30 days of being on the ballot would be a good idea?

If people with inactive forums are kept off the ballot, when people who don't post to their own forums are allowed on the ballot, there's not much difference in those 2 situations, is there?

+0
Potw Team

2183 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
1/13/2011 5:16:10 PM
Quote:

Hi Barry,

Will there be any changes to the forum-activity rule this year? Some people start forums and don't even make a topic or any posts to their own forums, we saw that several times in 2010 and also this year so far. Also, some active forums that have no recent posts by the forum-owner in more than 30 days, those are only kept active by other people. Do you think a rule about forum owners actually making posts in their own forum within 30 days of being on the ballot would be a good idea?

If people with inactive forums are kept off the ballot, when people who don't post to their own forums are allowed on the ballot, there's not much difference in those 2 situations, is there?

Hello Kathleen,

This similar feedback was brought to my attention by another member and while I agree that we can always look for suggestions and feedback to improve the POTW I also become concerned that we will have so much in the eligibility criteria that there will only be a small number of qualified individuals.

Increasing the forum threads by the forum owner as the measurement for activity can be looked at, however I would like to point out that our current vote leader in the POTW had no active fourms until recently when she re-activated one that made her eligble for the POTW. She has one of the higher total votes we have seen in some time and this shows she must have been active in other ways within the community. That being said you cannot rule out that other members have also been active in other ways besides having threads posted in their own forums.

I want the continued feedback and this is not to say we will not look at this as a possible addition for eligibility criteria, however I would also like to see the POTW remain as fun, interesting and a place where all members can visit, vote for one of the candidates they like and possibly meet members they have never met before which is a benefit in itself for all members.

Sincerely,

Barry

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/13/2011 5:24:11 PM

Barry,

When I nominated Gabrielle, there had already been nominees on the ballot many times with inactive forums last year. She opened a forum after not being put on the ballot for several weeks and then realizing that suddenly, the "forum" rule was then being enforced in December when it had been very lax in the months before.

Uninhabited forums usually just get filled with ads, the forum owners could at least post in their own forums, if it's an advertising forum, or start topics, being there would be good.

+0
1/13/2011 5:32:22 PM
Quote:

I want the continued feedback and this is not to say we will not look at this as a possible addition for eligibility criteria, however I would also like to see the POTW remain as fun, interesting and a place where all members can visit, vote for one of the candidates they like and possibly meet members they have never met before which is a benefit in itself for all members.

Sincerely,

Barry

Well stated, Barry. It is also my desire.

Sara

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/13/2011 5:32:45 PM
I agree Myrna. Many of the newer people don't realize we had a tradition of thanking people who posted congratulations to them. Only posting a view point, I'm not being critical.

Pat

Quote:
Hi Barry,

I think POTW has lost some of it's interest because people who are nominated do not reply to each one. That to me was always a highlight. It is just like they are glad to get the award, but fall short in the real appreciation.

I know sometimes it is impossible to get to every one, but there has been a few winners we never heard from. I really think that is hurting the POTW. It has lost it's glitter.

You are doing a wonderful job, but it is a team effort, I think we have lost a lot of the team players.

Just my opinion, hope I didn't hurt anyone, not meant to harm just to help

Myrna
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!