Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/18/2010 6:02:27 AM

It looks delicious, Phil. This will be a good one to make for Thanksgiving, but I will try it earlier than that to perfect my technique. :)

As usual, thank you for sharing your bountiful and delicious recipes. There is something for everyone to try, as long as they like to cook.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/19/2010 10:28:29 PM

Hi Donna,

So glad that you stopped by again and I hope that you will always find a little something different to whet your Taste Buds. Seems like it's been a little while since I've had a taste for Italian, so here's something I hope that everyone might like. Once again, simple to prepare and delicious to eat, with just a bit of Spinach tossed in to keep us Healthy...

Sausage Pasta

Ingredients
  • 3/4 pound pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil and sausage; cook through until no longer pink. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add onion and garlic to skillet. Add broth, basil and tomatoes with liquid.
  3. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to slightly reduce. Add chopped spinach; cover skillet and simmer on reduced heat until spinach is tender.
  4. Add pasta to skillet and mix together. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.

If you want to make this meal just a bit classier, and you're looking for a perfect Wine to compliment this delicious Pasta Dish, might I suggest Sangiovese. It's refreshing acidity and nice tannins, make it a terrific friend of food, with a light flavor and aroma of cherries and violets. Sangiovese-based wines like Chianti have always been classic partners with pizza and tomato-based pasta dishes.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/24/2010 6:08:50 PM

Hello My Friends,

Sticking with the Pasta Theme, here's a traditional Lasagna, and the best part of it is, it only requires about half the time and effort! Of course, I always cook extra , so there's also some for leftovers, but it always seems, at least around my house, that the more I cook, the more they eat! Serve along with some fresh Homemade Garlic Bread and a simple Lettuce/Tomato Salad.

Simply Traditional Lasagna

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 cup sliced black olives
  • 1 pinch basil
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 2 (14 ounce) jars marinara sauce
  • 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
  • 8 ounces ricotta cheese
  • 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Brown the ground beef and Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease. Stir in the water and black olives, and season with basil, garlic powder, oregano, sage, pepper, minced garlic, and onion flakes. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the marinara sauce, and remove from the heat.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  3. Place a layer of the meat and sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of dry noodles. Spread a thin layer of ricotta cheese over the noodles, and sprinkle with a little mozzarella cheese. Cover with another layer of sauce, and repeat layering ending with the meat and sauce on top. Reserve about 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese for later.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, but check after 30 minutes depending on how thick the lasagna is. Lasagna is cooked when you can easily stick a knife into it. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top, and return to the oven for about 10 minutes for a nice melted cheese topping.

Once again, as I mentioned before, Sangiovese-based wines like Chianti are always perfect, when partnered with traditional pasta dishes such as this. However, if you're able to partake of the occasional Cocktail, my Nephew who manages a Bar & Grill down in Charlotte, NC, assures me that a Negroni Cocktail, is a perfect compliment to this Dish.

Negroni Cocktail

Just simply take, 1 fluid ounce of gin, 1 fluid ounce of campari, 1 fluid ounce of sweet vermouth, and a twist of lemon zest,

In a cocktail mixer full of ice, combine the gin, campari and sweet vermouth. Stir lightly, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with the twist of lemon zest.

Regardless of how you have it, "Wet" or "Dry", I hope that you'll enjoy it my Friends.

Have A Great Weekend & Stay Cool,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
7/24/2010 6:24:33 PM

Phil, all this Italian pasta does make one hungry even after just having my lunch! I like the dog's idea of cooling off but the only water around is Molly's pool which is just not large enough.

Thank you for continuing with all these wonderful recipes. We had one of those Sara's version of oriental pork (LOL)! I cut up chunks of country pork ribs, sprinkled salt & pepper, then lightly floured, placed in a pan that I had sauteed garlic in a little veg. oil & sesame seed oil. This I browned a few minutes and added a mixture of apple jelly(plum would be better), soy sauce and water. Poured that over and turned heat down to cook the pork, adding water as necessary. In the meantime, cooked some Roma noodles and added a package of frozen broccoli. It was good served with hot biscuits and fresh hot peppers.

As you have probably guessed, I make it up as I go along - I have 2 hungry men to feed!!

Here's to food and drink!

Sara

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/24/2010 7:58:00 PM

Phil,

That bit of cajun in the linguine did it for me.

Sounds good.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!