Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
10/8/2012 6:48:12 PM
Phil and everyone.
FALL time.
a facebook friend posted this recipe on my wall. this dish looks DELICIOUS
PAT

Lasagna Soup recipe in our local Kowalski’s Markets magazine, originally from the cookbook 300 Sensational Soups. I’ve always had good luck with recipes that Kowalski’s prints, but what especially caught my eye was that Chef Sarah Molten named 300 Sensational Soups as one of the top cookbooks of the year on Good Morning America’s Top 10 List for 2008. And one of the book’s co-authors is a local Minnesotan. I really felt the need to taste this soup!

The soup is truly like lasagna in a bowl. The flavors are lovely. And the cheesy concoction that gets hot soup ladeled over it in your bowl is yum! Kinda like this Chicken Tortilla Soup with its hidden mozzarella surprise. Only in Italian this time!

I substituted mafalda pasta for the recipe’s fusilli, because aren’t they just the cutest mini lasagna looking noodles you ever did see? I couldn’t resist!

Lasagna Soup

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients

for the soup:
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
  • 3 c. chopped onions
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 T. tomato paste
  • 1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 c. chicken stock
  • 8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

• for the cheesy yum:
  • 8 oz. ricotta
  • 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • pinch of freshly ground pepper

• additional cheesy yum:
  • 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preparation

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth. You may even want to consider cooking the noodles separately, and then adding some to individual bowls before ladling the soup over them. This would be an especially smart move if you are anticipating any leftovers. Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.

Source

Source: Adapted from 300 Sensational Soups by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds, as seen in the February-April 2011 edition of At Home with Kowalski's magazine from Kowalski’s Markets.

http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2011/03/24/lasagna-soup/
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2012 10:23:58 PM
hi PHIL

I HOPE YOU WILL LIKE THIS DELICIOUS FALL SIDE DISH.

PAT

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

**REMEMBER... THESE DON'T HAVE TO BE LOADED WITH LOTS OF SUGAR, PUT IN WHAT YOU WANT** Is there anyone out there who DOESN'T like sweet potatoes? Check out this simple recipe for Roasted Sweet Potatoes made with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of ginger:

http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/03/roasted-sweet-potatoes.html

• 3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp of brown sugar (more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground ginger
  • Sea salt, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite size cubes and place in the baking dish. Melt butter in the microwave and pour over the potatoes along with the olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Add more sugar or cinnamon if desired. Toss to coat evenly. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Stir the sweet potatoes once or twice during roasting. Enjoy.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2012 3:53:56 AM
Phil.....Where are you???

Myrna and I miss you,
pat

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2012 3:56:18 AM
Quote:
Phil.....Where are you???

Myrna and I miss you,
pat

Pat and I miss you, for sure
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/15/2012 9:03:08 PM
I know PHIL would like these cupcakes.
pat

"Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes w/Marshmallow Meringue Frosting"

"Cupcakes"

yield: 40 mini cupcakes

ingredients:
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped
6 large eggs separated, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar

instructions:
• preheat oven to 275 degrees.
• line mini muffin tins with paper liners.
• in a glass bowl set over simmering water, melt the butter and the bittersweet chocolate. remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes
• add the egg yolks
• using an electric mixer with the whisk attached, beat egg whites until soft peaks. add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form. they are ready when the they appear glossy.
• add a cup of the whipped egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold gently. when fully mixed, add entire mixture to remaining egg whites. fold mixture.
• using a 2 tablespoon ice cream scooper, fill paper cups 3/4 full.
• bake 14-18 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time (front to back and lower to upper shelf).
• let cool completely and then apply frosting.

Marshmallow Meringue Frosting
adapted from here
yield: 3 cups

ingredients:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
a large pinch of cream of tartar

instructions:
• combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the bowl of your electric mixer.
• place bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warmed to 145 degrees F(8-12 minutes).
• remove from heat and attach bowl to your electric mixer. using the whisk attachment, beat on low speed. when foamy, turn up to high speed and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form (8-10 minutes).
• pipe frosting on to cooled cupcakes.
• using a torch, slightly burn the meringue(optional).
• these cupcakes are best eaten the day they are made.

http://www.theurbanbaker.com/flourless-chocolate-cupcakes-wmarshmallow-meringue-frosting/

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!