Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donggeun Yoo

2984 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Deliverance -Rev. Zinsan
2/16/2010 2:23:57 AM

Deliverance -Rev. Zinsan

A few days ago, I met with a person who wanted to go back to his hometown. He said that he felt he had no purpose staying in this foreign town, so he wanted to leave. He felt that staying here was like staying on an island in the middle of the vast Pacific Ocean. I was surprised and became worried for quite sometime over this issue. To hear that he had no purpose made me very sad, because that meant he felt he had no way out; he felt blocked.

One day as I was walking in a park I asked a plant, “Do you have any purpose growing here? Even though most of your leaves have already fallen off this winter, do you still feel you have a purpose to remain here?”

I also asked a nearby tree the same question. The tree replied, “I am standing here with heaven. I grow from the soil of the earth and my branches reach the high heavens.” I asked the nearby stream, “Have you any purpose?” The stream replied, “I don’t know. I come from high up the mountains and flow down to the low valley. I live with the earth, but I don’t feel like I have any purpose. I just flow into the ocean.” I asked a bird in the forest, “Have you any purpose? You sit in the calm mountain making beautiful sounds.” The bird replied, “I have no purpose, but I enjoy living in the forest amongst nature.” What is the purpose of living?

Couples will often say to each other, “I can’t live without you,” “My life has no purpose without you.” This is one kind of attachment, but this is not the purpose of human life.
The first type of deliverance

Once I heard that in the early years of Won Buddhism when the Great Master Sotaesan was disciplining his disciples he would often scold them by saying, “Go back to your home!” He would only say this to those who continuously disobeyed his instructions. His disciples would plead to him, “Great Master Sotaesan please do not send me home. I would like to stay here with you and learn more about your teachings.” This was an important method of deliverance used by Sotaesan to advance his disciple’s practice and to remind them of their mission in life. Deliverance is like a boat that helps sentient beings cross from the mundane world to a world of purpose.

A Korean historical buddhist monk, Na Ong Haegeun (It is said, incarnation of Tathagatha) made a vow to Dharmakaya Buddha. ‘Even by just hearing his name Na Ong sentient beings were delivered from the evil path. Even by just seeing Na Ong Haegeun’s physical image, sentient beings were delivered from the evil path.’ For Na Ong the vow that he made was another form of deliverance from
Tathagatha.

he second type of deliverance
The second type of deliverance can be explained through the stories of the Second Head Dharma Master Chungsan and Vimalakirti. For both sages, although both suffered physical illness they were still able to deliver sentient beings.

Ahn Pyong Ook, a famous professor, visited the Second Head Dharma Master Chungsan and said to him, “I’ve traveled all over the world and have come back to your religion.” At that time, Master Chungsan was ill and had difficulty sitting and standing. Many parts of his body could not function properly. Although Master Chungsan was sick, his eyes and face were very bright and peaceful also respectable. His face showed no signs of sickness. Although he was nearing death this did not stop him from teaching his disciples. After meeting Master Chungsan, Ahn Pyong Ook wrote an article in the Korean magazine, [Sa Sang Geh], describing Master Chungsan’s peaceful and calm appearance even though he was experiencing much pain. Ahn Pyong Ook stated in his article that he had never encountered someone so at peace during such a difficult moment. To Ahn Pyong Ook this was indicative of Master Chungsan’s enlightenment to the Truth and the grace he was receiving from this Truth. So, although Master Chungsan was very sick he was able to deliver others by keeping a clear and calm face.

Vimalakirti also experienced sickness throughout his life. During his sickness he still taught all sentient beings the dharma. Usually sentient beings are attached to their healthy bodies, but sages and buddhas are not the same. For Vimalakirti, although he was sick he lived with heaven and earth and with all nature. Therefore, his purpose was not attached to the limits of his own body. This is another example of deliverance.

What is the way of deliverance?
It exists as long as Heaven and Earth remain,
Always keeping its one appearance
Even with the extinction of other beings
If you are once enlightened to the Truth of going and coming,
The flowers will never cease to bloom,Step by step, everything will become a great sutra (The Scripture of Won Buddhism, 280).

How do we respond to deliverance?
We should make a vow to attain Buddhahood. Sotaesan felt that making a vow was important which is why we chant the Il-Won-Sang Vow every morning. Our eternal vow connects us to the Truth and attaining Buddhahood. Without a vow, it is difficult for sentient beings to contact Buddha.

http://www.won.or.kr/

WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: http://www.DesktopLightning.com/ohmmani
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!