Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Fun Pizza Facts
1/29/2010 4:46:12 PM
Hello friends,
I love pizza how about you? Here are some interesting facts on pizza.

• Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or 350 slices per second.
  • Each man, woman and child in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year.
  • Pepperoni is America’s favorite topping (36 percent of all pizza orders we eat approximately 251,770,000 pounds a year!
  • In America, anchovies always rank last on the list of favorite toppings.
  • In 1830 pizza truly began with the opening of the world’s first pizzeria. Port’ Alba, the pizzas were cooked in an oven lined with lava from Mount Vesuvius, a volcano located on the Bay of Naples.
  • Pizza makers have tried virtually every type of food on pizzas, including peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs and mashed potatoes!
  • According to Domino’s, some of the more popular international toppings are pickled ginger, minced mutton and tofu in India, squid (octopus) and Mayou Jaga (mayonnaise, potato and bacon) in Japan, and green peas in Brazil. In Russia, they serve pizza covered with mockba, which is a combination of sardines, tuna, mackerel, salmon and onions. In
    France, a popular combo is called the Flambee, with bacon, onion and fresh cream.
  • There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States.
  • Approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year!

Facts from Agriculture Council of America (ACA)

Have a wonderful day!
    Len
  • Start a 2nd income and get out of debt! http://alturl.com/aw4yv
    +0
    Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    RE: Fun Pizza Facts
    1/29/2010 8:11:30 PM

On my only visit to the USA I had no choice on the first night there than to have a pizza. Nothing else available at that time of night.

This was the first time I ever tasted a sweet pizza.

It was strange but ok. It was part of the offer that night. Double-sized pizza plus a sweet pizza. We had it again for breakfast but still had to bin some.

That was one BIG pizza.

Roger

+0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/30/2010 12:16:35 AM

Hi Len,

My Screen Names's Papajon. Ya' think I like Pizza. Unfortunately, I never met a Pizza I didn't like.

Roger mentioning the Sweet Pizza reminded me of the Dessert Pizzas at Little Caesars. Here's a litle something we put together at home when we like a Sweet Treet...

Strawberry Pizza

Ingredients:

1 cup self-rising flour
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
    1 (8 ounce) package fat-free cream cheese

1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    extract

1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    2 pints strawberries, halved
    Few drops red food coloring, if desired

Directions:

Combine flour and powdered sugar; add butter, mixing well. Pat dough out in a 14-inch pizza pan; bake at 350-degrees for ten minutes or until lightly browned.
    Combine cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice, and vanilla; mix well and spread on cooled crust. Chill.
    Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan; add water, mixing until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thickened (about five minutes), stirring constantly. Add strawberries; if desired, stir in food coloring. Cool completely.
    Spread strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer; chill. Cut into wedges to serve.
    Recipe serves eight to ten.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/30/2010 12:48:24 AM
    Pizza is a staple of the American Diet ~

especially in the teens to twenties ... survival food, ha ha
    +0
    Len
    Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Person Of The Week
    1/30/2010 1:23:50 AM

Hi Roger,
    Very interesting that you had pizza first time here in the U.S. I don't think I have ever had sweet pizza. I usually order the same pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, green peppers etc.
    We often (my wife and I) order pizza once a week... Pizza place is almost next door that we order from...it's fairly inexpensive and alot of food for the money and often there is enough food for the next evening. :)

Thanks much Roger for posting.

Have a great weekend,
    Len

Start a 2nd income and get out of debt! http://alturl.com/aw4yv
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!