Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Post From a Fibromyalgia Sufferer on What She Does to Help Her Pain
12/9/2009 6:22:16 AM

I came across this interesting post online from someone who suffers from fibromyalgia. I thought I would share it so those of us/you with fibromyalgia may get some ideas of things to try.

[Booch007]

Booch007
Sharing the toolbox
Posted: Jul 12, 2009

Login to Rate Post starstarstarstarstar Best Ever!

I have been reading our threads and we are so supportive of eachother and hugging, but for a new person to the board....one who just gets diagnosed. We don't spend alot of time on our toolboxes...how we get out of trouble and what we do to feel *a bit* better.

So, I thought if we all shared here.....we could place it in favorites and they would be able to go back to it in hard times.

For me.... In a flare I got sunglasses on, hide from him..this dragon of ours......I hide in the shower. Warm water helps me alot. I massage in there and use the soap to help me work the muscles. Some take a bath, (I won't go there to the laughter when I joined and tried that) I am a shower person with a shower massage instrument in the head that detaches and can be aimed at the upper back muscles that hurt.....

I use Soma (muscle relaxant) 350mg. and Motrin was my staple now I have this for breakthrough above the Tramadol 37.5 mg that I use. I take 5mg of Valium when nights are rough and I can't get comfortable in bed, it helps the muscles and relaxes me to sleep.

My main muscles are in the neck where I choke when I lay down, the *scalenes, they are hard to treat but with trigger point injections, chiropractor and massage therapy...I fare well. I have a neck pillow with a towel under it to raise or lower the height so I can breath and sleep without headache....turn me on my back though and the headache begins..it will wake me up. I must be on my side. This is a muscular headache. Caused by the neck muscles.

I have a memory foam mattress on my bed for softness around those sore spots. Mmmm best tool I learned here on the board. I own 2 heating pads for use when necessary. I change my shoes everyday to a different pair to use different muscles in my legs and feet.

I walk on stones in the morning with stiff ankles 90+ until my meds kick in...It has helped to trick my legs with different shoes, support and styles. No more clogs and flip flops for me....they get me the next day.

I work, and at work..I lean up to door jams and rub and massage the spine and between *the wings.....I drink about 3 liters of **water a day. No junk. I truly believe we are what we eat..

I use the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Manual for resource. 19.99, written by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland. I use this book to help figure out my symptoms and what I can DO ABOUT IT... I use it to teach my doctors the physiology of my pain, even for me it is so bizarre at times. I hate even telling someone. It makes no sense without seeing it.

In my home I changed my dishes to Corelle, as I drop things and they are the lightest to carry. I bought front loading washer and dryers for the push and pull that are triggers....I know that shopping and laundry are things done one day at a time. I know that rest is needed during the day, but I will hurt if I have crossed the line.

WHEN (and I do) I cross the line and trigger a flare of larger pain, all over S.O.B. Pain....I use this toolbox in circular motion. Meds....computer to distract me and talk with all of you and then a shower, if I have a headache too...I wash my hair and massage the scalp. Spend time drying my hair and body with the hairdryer..the warmth is good. I stretch and see how I do. Rest and then repeat the process til I win.

I give only one to two days tops to the dragon if I am in trouble, more then that laying around is another trigger and you are in trouble all over again. Depression then sets in....SO GET UP AND GET OUT...Use distraction to change your mind set, go get busy....find a sale, go to a pet store and hug some animals..or shelter and walk a dog, it is good for you and him...

I am sorry this is long, but I so wanted to share how I survive. My distraction and laughter meds are just as powerful ans the pills I take and I don't take many. I AM in pain, and I am in pain all the time. I just won't let him win. My doctor tells me, Nancy there is no cure. BU

--
The early worm gets eaten by the bird...sleep late. The second mouse gets the cheese !!! Enough said. Be good to yourself, try to enjoy the view on this detour.....

+0
Roger Bjornerud

1658 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: Post From a Fibromyalgia Sufferer on What She Does to Help Her Pain
3/9/2010 8:38:27 PM
Don't stay at home, go visit someone is a good advice.
But not to another sick person to complain with. ;)
Roger Bjornerud - Back from vacation - Planning the next :)
roger.bjornerud@gmail.com

Free Leads System . Click here to visit my Blog 5 Key Formula Steps

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Post From a Fibromyalgia Sufferer on What She Does to Help Her Pain
3/10/2010 5:48:57 AM

Hi Roger,

That is good advice. It is better to try and get your mind off your aches and pains by discussing more positive thoughts. I am a positive person most of the time. Today when I went to our senior center I saw an older person I know there. She said she was so glad to see me because I always have something pleasant to say, while the other seniors in her exercise group are always complaining about something. That surprised me and pleased me at the same time.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!