Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
I Can Post again woo whoo LOL HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2009
11/25/2009 6:05:35 AM

When we sit down to our turkey or the many other culinary delights that appear at Thanksgiving dinner tables, not many families will be holding a ritualistic vigil to a faux Plymouth Rock.

Firstly, the inaugural pilgrim landing was at Provincetown, Cape Cod. Secondly, according to Pilgrim Hall Museum, “there are no contemporary references to the Pilgrims’ landing on a rock at Plymouth.”

Thanksgiving is thus widely perceived as a time for family. An opportunity to reunite with loved ones, friends, and relations we haven’t seen for years. It’s some time off work, a break from school, the chance for an extended romantic weekend, and more importantly, an opportunity to eat copious amounts of food without feeling too guilty!

In some ways this is more representative of the original celebrations held by the Pilgrims, which were actually harvest festivals, fashioned on the English and Native traditions.

Thanksgiving, as the historical landmark we celebrate, is a result of political history and has very little to do with any date or events pertaining to pilgrims or America specifically.

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: I Can Post again woo whoo LOL HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2009
11/25/2009 9:52:35 AM

Hi Thomas!! I'm glad to see you are not having problems posting again. This silly editor has been sticking on me about every other post. The box comes up but you can't type.

It happened half dozen times yesterday. I kept hitting the x in the upper right hand corner and started over. I finally had to reboot the computer.

Enough harping on about Adland (it isn't worth it). I'm thankful you're my friend.

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/25/2009 2:45:40 PM
Hi Thomas,

I am glad you can post again and I wish you the same a Happy Thanksgiving.

nat_day_mourning_plaque.jpgNow this just seems like a slap in the face to me.

For the first time, federal legislation has set asidethe day after Thanksgiving – for this year only – to honor thecontributions American Indians have made to the United States.

This is the same logic that turns Columbus Day into the lat day ofHispanic Heritage Month. The United States has to take an ugly truth ofhistorical fact and the ways it reverberates today and make it into asecond tier holiday.

Congress passed legislation this year designating theday as Native American Heritage Day, and President George W. Bushsigned it last month.

Meanwhile, the government out of the other side of its mouth willencourage people to shop and spend today, as an act of service for thenation.

Our wonderful government at work. They are afraid of them, I wonder why???????????

Hugs,

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/25/2009 2:48:26 PM

Hi Thomas,

I'm glad you can post! Thanks for the CCR video, John Fogerty is one of my lifetime favorites! Have a great Thanksgiving, it feels like it's starting today because school is closed and I just woke up very late. YAY!!

+0
11/25/2009 3:00:29 PM

Glad you are able to post again!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!