Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
The DIVINE Greek Teachers
10/11/2009 10:26:29 AM
Pre-Socratic Great Greek Philosophers

Period marking the begining of science, as well as the development of literature, arts, politics, and philosophy. During these years, the city-states (polis in Greek) flourish. These include the Sparta and Athens. Within this period the Ionian School of natural philosophy was founded by Thales of Miletus. This is considered the first school for speculating about nature in a scientific way, hence signifies the birth of science.
The Pythagorean Brotherhood is formed by Pythagoras of Samos. This society performed a great deal of progress in mathematics, but also had mystical beliefs. In addition to the Ionian and Pythagorian, other schools of this period include the Eleatic School, the Atomists, and the Sophists.
All philosophers - scientists up to Democritus are considered to be PreSocratics.

Philosophers-Scientists

Thales of Miletus (624-560 B.C.). Astronomer, mathematician and philosopher. Learned astronomy from the Babylonians. Founder of the Ionian school of natural philosophy. Predicted the solar eclipse on May 28, 585. Proved general geometric propositions on angles and triangles. Considered water to be the basis of all matter. He believed that the Earth floated in water. Used the laws of prospectives to calculate the height of the pyramids.
Anaximander (610-545 B.C.).Greek astronomer and philosopher, pupil of Thales. Introduced the apeiron(infinity). Formulated a theory of origin and evolution of life, according to which life originated in the sea from the moist element which evaporated from the sun (On Nature). Was the first to model the Earth according to scientific principles. According to him, the Earth was a cylinder with a north-south curvature, suspended freely in space, and the stars where attached to a sphere that rotated around Earth.
Anaximenes (570-500 B.C.). Pupil of Anaximander. According to him, the rainbow is a natural phenomenon, rather than the work of a god. Basic principle of the universe is air.
Pythagoras of Samos (569-500 B.C.). Mathematician and philosopher. Was to first to believe that the Earth was a sphere rotating around a central fire. He believed that the natural order could be expressed in numbers. Known for the Pythagorean theorem which was however known much earlier.
Xenophanes (Caliphon, 570-475 B.C.). Greek philosopher who speculated, based on fossils sea shells found on mountain tops, that the surface of the Earth must have risen and fallen.
Heraclitus (Ephesus, 535-475 B.C.). Considered fire to be the primary form of the real world. According to him, everything is in the process of flux (panta rhei).
Parmenides of Elea (520-450 B.C.). Like Pythagoras, he believed that the Earth was spherical. Believed that change is illusory and nothing can be distroyed or changed. He was a pupil of Xenophanes, and was the principle representative of the Eleatic philosophy
Alcmaeon (Croton, 450 B.C.). Pythagorean. Doctor and physical philosopher. Discovered the main nerves and their route to the brain, which he considered to be a primary organ of humans.
Zeno of Elea (495-435 B.C.). Greek philosopher and mathematician. Known for his four paradoxes: Dichotomy, Achilles, Arrow, and Stadium. These paradoxes are related to the notions of continuity and infinity. Lost his head after being found guilty of treason.
Anaxagoras of Clazomenae (480-430 B.C.). Greek philosopher. Believed that a large number of seeds make up the properties of materials, that heavenly bodies are made up of the same materials as Earth and that the sun is a large, hot, glowing rock. Discovered that the moon reflected light and formulated the correct theory for the eclipses. Erroneously believed that the Earth was flat.
Empedocles (Akragas, now Cicily, 492-440 B.C.). Natural philosopher. Introduced the idea of elements. Recognized the heart as the center of a system of blood vessels, but erroneously suggested that the heart is the origin of human emotions. Considered that fire, air, earth, and water as the elementary substances. According to legend, he died by falling into a volcano's crater after failing to become a god as he predicted.
Melissus (Samos, 440 B.C.). Belonged to the Eleatic School.
Hippasus of Metapontum. Pythagorian philosopher and mathematician. Discovered that some numbers are not commensurable or, in today's terms, not all numbers are rational. Discovered the dodecahedron, a solid whose surface constisted of 12 regular pentagons. Latter, he was sentenced to death by the Pythagorians.
Leucippus of Miletus (490-??? B.C.). Greek philosopher. First to introduce the idea of the atom, an indivisible unit of matter. This idea was later extended by his student, Democretus.
Meton of Athens (440-??? B.C.). Developed the Meton cycle, a 19-year period in which, as viewed from the Earth, the motions of the Earth and moon seem to come together. This cycle can be used to predict eclipses and forms the basis of the Greek and Jewish calendar.
Euctemon of Athens (430 B.C.).
Hippocrates of Chios. Wrote his Elements almost one century before Euclid's.
Hippocrates of Cos (460-377 B.C.). Considered as the father of Medicine. He and his followers considered that diseases had a rational explanation and cause, hence could be treated.
Inopedes (Chios, 400 B.C. ). Greek astronomer. Believed to have first calculated the angle the Earth is tipped with respect to the plane of its orbit. He found the value of 24 degrees which differs only half degree from the presently accepted value of 23.5 degrees.
Gorgias (490-380 B.C.). Greek philosopher. According to his nihilist philosophy, nothing exists. If it did exist we could not know it, and if we new it, we could not tell anyone about it.
Diogenes of Apollonia (425 B.C.) Diogenes was a pupil of Anaximenes, whom he followed in making air the primary element of all things but regarded that there was an intelligent principle behind the order of the Universe. He wrote a number of books on Cosmology.
Philolaus (Tarentum or Croton, now Italy, 480-??? B.C.). Pythagorean philosopher. Was the first to suggest that there is some central fire around which the Earth, sun, moon and all planets rotate.
Protagoras (Abdera, 480-420 B.C.). Greek philosopher and the earliest known Sophist. Believed that sense perceptions are all that existed, thus reality differs from one person to another.
Hippias (Elis, 450 B.C. ?). Belonged to the school of Sophists. Taught astronomy and geometry. Plato wrote two dialogues (Hippias Major and Hippias Minor) concerning him.
Prodicus (Chios, 450 B.C. ?).. Also belonged to the school of Sophists. His pupils include Socrates and Euripides.
Democritus (Abdera, Thrace, 470-380 B.C.). Greek philosopher. Expanded the concept of atoms that was introduced by his teacher Leucippus and showed that atoms are the basis of all form of matter. He recognizes that the Milky Way consists of a number of stars and that the moon is similar to Earth.

Kindly Regards
Georgios

Sourses: Most of their Works I have in books. I found some on net to refer so you can get the info in English. Working on philosophers and their Works takes long time.
Links: Thales of Miletus, Encyclopedia Britannica, Thales of Miletus, University of St Andrews, Scotland, Thales of Miletus, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Thales of Miletus, MIT
Links: Anaximander, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Anaximander, Encyclopedia Britannica, Anaximander of Miletus, MIT
Links: Anaximenes, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Anaximenes of Miletus, Encyclopedia Britannica  
Links: Pythagoras, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Links: Xenophanes, Internet Encyclopedia of Phylosophy
Links: Parmenides of Elea, MIT
Links: Zeno of Elea, Encyclopedia Britannica, Zeno of Elea, University of St Andrews, Scotland, Zeno of Elea, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Zeno of Elea, MIT
Links: Anaxagoras of Clazomenae, MIT
Links: Hippocrates, Encyclopedia Britannica
Link: Empedocles, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Link: Protagoras, Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The DIVINE Greek Teachers
10/11/2009 10:27:34 AM
The most known Greek philosophers will be added in the topic

PLATO  - The Divine Teacher

Plato is the founder of the Academy. The school founded by this antique philosopher, became a prototype of modern higher education. Contemporaries named him «the divine teacher»: in his works it was spoken about an ideal society structure and immortality of soul. Ancient Greek thinker Plato said, that «time is a moving similarity of eternity».

PLATO
Click above for a documentary clip

Plato is credited with starting Idealism with his teachings of only ideas are real and all other things only reflect ideas. According to Plato, the most important idea is the idea of good and using skills of knowledge to serve humanity. His ideas about soul immortality and eternity contributed to the development of Christian theology.

His real name was Aristocles (meaning Excellent glory). Platon means broad "wide". He got this name for two reasons: a) He was a broad-shouldered athlete, b) he was a broad minded person or as I use to say  a wide brained thinker and philosopher and I believe he got his name from the second reason.

Kindly Regards
Georgios  
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2009 10:35:01 AM
Thank you Georgios!!!!

I am too small to tell anything about Plato.

Thanks to him, my world didn`t remain what I was taught it should be (when materialism was main base of my education). Plato, Schopenhauer and Hegel contributed so much in my growing up.

"All things will be produced in superior quantity and quality, and with greater ease, when each man works at a single occupation, in accordance with his natural gifts, and at the right moment, without meddling with anything else." (Plato)

Georgios, thanks for sharing all what your Greece really is, with us.

And YOUR Greece is one COSMOS undivided between it`s micro and macro perspectives.

It`s simply WHOLE and inspires the search for WHOLENESS.

Bless and hug you,

Branka 
+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2009 10:39:03 AM
You tricky Georgios!!!!

After posting a few words about Plato, I found your new INTRO-post.

WHAT ANYONE CAN ADD TO THE GREEK PHILOSOPHY  ????

(And what about each other scientific field ? )

GREECE.

GREECE.

ANCIENT GREECE .

This world is the mirror of ANCIENT GREECE - hope you`d agree with me.

Thanks again!

JUST - BEAUTIFUL !

Branka
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2009 10:54:00 AM
Hi Branka!

Long before you joined AdLandPro we had a Special Philosophy Forum. Can you imagine who was the most active member. Bogdan Fiedur.

I had thoughts on widening the subject to World Philosophy and create a new forum, but I would not be happy to see 5-10 people in such a special forum so after some thoughts I prefer to do what Ana Maria Padurean did in her Romania forum and stay close to my home country and to subjects that are familiar to me. As I did it now it means post just to post independent of visitors and replies. Only me and Dimitra are active Greek members here and it is our duty to serve for our country and give the Adlandpro members, needed in formation, about our country. This may be considered as racism but I don't see any reason for not do this.

Best regards,
Georgios

Here is a list of all Ancient Greek Philosophers (source WIKIPEDIA)

Pages in category "Ancient Greek philosophers"

The following 117 pages are in this category, out of 117 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).

A

B

C

D

D cont.

E

G

H

I

L

M

N