Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Doug Woodall

199 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
A new initiative to fight internet fraud
11/6/2005 9:22:18 PM
How many times have you seen an offer on the Internet that caused you to think "this just looks too good to be true"? Today's consumer is inundated with all kinds of offers, has access to an unprecedented array of services and products from all over the world, and doesn't even have to leave home to take advantage of them. The Internet is usually a safe and convenient place for consumers to do business, but swindlers also see this as a convenient place to do their business - fraud. According to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, 207,449 complaints were reported in 2004, a 66.6 percent increase over 2003; the total monetary loss from all referred cases of fraud was $68.14 million with a median dollar loss of $219.56 per complaint. To combat these cyber outlaws, the LooksTooGoodToBeTrue initiative, an Internet fraud prevention campaign being jointly undertaken by federal law enforcement agencies and major corporations, was announced today. The Merchant Risk Council and major corporations Monster Worldwide, Inc. (NASDAQ: MNST), parent company of the leading global online career and recruitment resource, Monster(R), and Target Corporation have joined the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) in this education and awareness campaign. The cornerstone of this Internet fraud prevention campaign is the website www.LooksTooGoodToBeTrue.com. Developed by the joint industry/law enforcement group, the site offers consumers in-depth information on the latest Internet scams, including auction fraud, identity fraud, reshipping scams and foreign lotteries. It also alerts the American public to scams related to Hurricane Katrina and other disasters. In addition, the site offers prevention tips to web users and an online risk assessment test to determine how vulnerable users are to scams. Consumers can file complaints via the site and can order "Web of Deceit," a free DVD on Internet fraud prevention produced by the Postal Inspection Service.
Doug Woodall SpywareBiz,,,We take the Spy out of Spyware! http://www.spywarebiz.com Providing Free Information and Recommended Products to Combat Spyware.
+0
Re: A new initiative to fight internet fraud
11/6/2005 9:45:50 PM
Thanks for the info Doug. I got caught up in a costly scam about 5 months ago and I am much more careful now. I'll pass on the url of this new site.
+0
Bo
Bo Tipton

70 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: A new initiative to fight internet fraud
11/7/2005 10:31:13 AM
Thank you for the information Doug. This a good site to pass on to others which I will do. Bo
Free Training on How To Make Money On The Internet http://100percentcommissiontraffic.com/?rid=2
+0