Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Friends, I would like to introduce you to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
11/1/2005 9:20:45 AM
Hello Friends This introduction is a little different. I am going to introduce you to a movement rather than a person. It is about our soldiers, the Iraq war and the people who believe that our soldiers should come home and the war should end. As always in my forums, I welcome your comments, either for or against. I believe that everyone has a right to free speach and exprssion and on my forums, that right will always be honored Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Dear william, Thanks to you and the pro-peace majority in the U.S., the “Not One More Death, Not One More Dollar” campaign continues to build momentum. In this issue of Toward Peace & Justice, you’ll find information about how to sustain the momentum toward peace by supporting new legislation that, if passed, will stop funding the war in Iraq. You’ll also read about an important victory in the ongoing struggle for a moral U.S. budget, alternative holiday gifts available from AFSC, and more. Thanks for helping us make a difference. Peace. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In this issue: Steps toward peace in Iraq Help sustain the movement for a fair federal budget Holiday gifts with a difference Nuclear abolition gets a historic boost in Massachusetts Work in Afghanistan moves forward despite obstacles AFSC responds to disasters in Central America Steps toward peace in Iraq As part of the pro-peace majority, you are making a difference. Last Wednesday, the day after the 2,000th U.S. military casualty in Iraq was reported, tens of thousands of people like you nationwide took to the streets and sent Congress a message to stop the deaths by stopping the dollars funding the war. To get a sense of the nationwide event, our web site features inspiring comments from participants in last week’s “Not One More Death, Not One More Dollar” event. Visit the web site to read and share reflections. The next step Then came word that U.S. Representative Jim McGovern (D-MA) plans to introduce legislation to end all funding for the deployment of U.S. Armed Forces in Iraq. It would not, however, prohibit or restrict non-Defense funding for social and economic reconstruction in Iraq. Use our online system to send a letter to your Senators and Representatives asking them to co-sponsor Rep. McGovern’s resolution. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Help sustain the movement for a fair federal budget Thanks to thousands of activists across the country, the U.S. House of Representatives cancelled its planned budget vote on October 20 in the face of a massive public outcry for a fair budget. AFSC’s toll-free number generated more than 22,000 calls to Congress. But there’s still work to be done. By signing onto our budget petition and writing a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, you can send Congress a message about the need to preserve Medicaid, food stamps and other important federal programs rather than cutting taxes for the wealthiest families. Sign our petition and send a letter to the editor now > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Holiday gifts with a difference This holiday season, AFSC offers a meaningful way to recognize the importance of your loved ones. You can support the worthwhile and life-serving programs of AFSC, and honor your relatives and friends at the same time. Find out about our holiday gift options > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You might also be interested in these programs and events: Bringing forth a ‘beautiful flower’:Nuclear abolition gets a historic boost in Massachusetts. Read more AFSC’s work in Afghanistan moves forward despite obstacles. Read more Following a series of devastating disasters in Central America, AFSC has responded to the call for aid from some long-standing partners: Read more © 2005 AFSC American Friends Service Committee 1501 Cherry Street Philadelphia, PA 19102 http://www.afsc.org/ Please follow this link to unsubscribe or change your email preferences.
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
11/2/2005 4:19:37 PM
Greetings All Here I am going to introduce you to a lady from Jamaica who has been through the carribean mental health system and has written a book about her experience. Her story covers the way it used to be in the 1800's up untill the present day. Just like here in America, things have gotten better but, we have a long, long road ahead of us. MENTAL ILLNESS - Images of the past, hope for the future published: Wednesday | November 2, 2005 EULALEE THOMPSON POSTERITY SHOULD be grateful to Rosa Henry, former inmate of Jamaica's old Lunatic Asylum (1830s), for documenting her experience there: "When I got better, Dr. Scott said no one could leave without someone come for her ... There are many people in the mad house ... (who) died from ill treatment ... Steele ... is very cruel ... the blow he gave me with a stick ... broke my forehead ... Dr. Scott would see them beating us with sticks and would interfere." Rosa's experience colours the socio-historical context of the book Images of Psychiatry: The Caribbean, being billed as the 'first-ever book on Caribbean psychiatry'. A more extensive narration of Rosa's rather fetching experience in the 'mad house' was included in the Jamaica Journal (Vol. 22 No. 3, author Carol Mae Morrisey):' TANKED "I have been tanked. Mrs. Ryan (the matron) and three women lay hold of the person to be tanked, shove her into the water; as fast as she come above water, shove her in again and again until she is half-dead - and some do die little time after. When they tanked me, I swallow water till my belly swell. Every night they strip us naked, turn us into the cell, and lock us up until morning. The chinks (bugs) worry us ... Mrs. Ryan was very cruel. She and Steele used to beat us with stick; and she made us eat whatever she gave us, whether it was good or bad - sometimes half-raw." That first lunatic asylum, as it was called then, was part of the Kingston Public Hospital, which was established in 1776. Professor Frederick Hickling, co-editor, and Dr. Roger Gibson indicates in chapter one, entitled 'The History of Caribbean Psychiatry', that a new and completely autonomous asylum was established in1862 after medical practitioners such as Lewis Bowerbank (himself of the planter class of that era) revealed the "maltreatment, exploitation and poor physical conditions" of the old asylum. SOCIAL AND HISTORICAL JOURNEY Chapter one sets the stage, for the other 14 chapters, of a social and historical journey into the world of mental illness, change in legislation, and shifts in treatment philosophy and protocol in mainly Jamaica and in some of the other islands in the Caribbean, mainly Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados. The country's mental illness (or mental health) is viewed as a continuum, rooted in the slavery past, with psychosis, concepts of self-worth, self-efficacy and the general Caribbean psyche evolving through post-colonialism. Professor Hickling explained recently at a Gleaner Editors' Forum that during slavery "mad" slaves were killed, but at the end of slavery, the attitude to mental illness had to change; mad people were put into dungeons, then to the Kingston Public Hospital and in 1862, everybody went to Bellevue Hospital. "We have been moving since then on a historical process of change and transformation ... that includes now a paradigm shift to community mental health services," he said. The book, published jointly by the University of the West Indies' Department of Community Health and Psychiatry (Mona) and the Section of Conflict Management and Resolution, of the World Psychiatric Association, was launched at the XIII Congress of the World Psychiatric Association in September. Images of Psychiatry - The Caribbean was edited by Professor Frederick W. Hickling, head of the Section of Psychiatry at the UWI Mona, and Professor Eliot Sorel, Professor of Psychiatry at George Washington University, Washington, U.S.A., Chairman of the Section of Conflict Management and Resolution of the World Psychiatric Association.
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
11/2/2005 10:21:18 PM
Hello Friends We have a new friend here that I would like to introduce you all to. Her name is Linda Miller. How about a warm welcome for this very spiritual lady. Linda Miller, Spiritual Entrepreneur [view] 139 Friends Member since 7/15/2005 Linda Miller Location Kalamazoo, MI, United States Interests networking, meditation, manifestatin, relationship marketing, greeting cards, prosperity, abundance, spirituality, gourmet candles, essential oils Company Spiritual Entrepreneur Today URL View Spiritual Entrepreneur Today's web site Industry Law of Attraction, Meditation, Manifestation, Prosperity resources, Relationship marketing, Spiritual Mentor, Spiritual Entrepreneur, Network Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Gourmet Candles, Essential Oils
+0
11/3/2005 3:52:09 PM
Hi Lisa and Friends It's time to introduce a new friend to our community. She is pretty new to Adland so I thought I would introduce her here where there are so many singers and songwritters around. Here she is my friends, A singer, a song writter and our new friend, Heidi Love
+0
Shelly Hargis

523 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/3/2005 7:28:00 PM
Hi William. I would Like to Welcome All of These Great People to Adland and also to Thank You for Introducing them to Us. I have actually Became Friends with Linda Just a Couple of Days ago. Wow! What a Story She Has. Maybe You can Post their Adlandpro Profile for us. Thanks for Helping Others and Introducing us to Some Wonderful People with Wonderful Stories to Tell. :) Your Friend, Shelly Hargis
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!