Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathy Clark

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Louisiana, Texas, Alaska, Alabama, etc.
9/19/2005 2:10:46 AM
As far as my travels goes, I feel I haven't been anywhere. Born in Louisiana, moved to Texas when I was 5 yrs. old. There I went to school thru the 6th grade. Then Dad finally made the decision that we were moving to Alaska. That was his Dream and he loved it. He actually helped build much of Anchorage, AK. He was so proud of it. When he died in 1987, we all started leaving Alaska. It was his Dream, and we wanted to see what the rest of the world was like. We moved to Alabama to be near Jim's family, thinking it would be just for a short time. But we bought a house and we have been there for 18 years. I have traveled around and thru the Middle and Western States and Western Canada and even Hawaii. But I have never been to the Eastern States or Europe, etc. So I feel like I am really missing something. Guess that is why I am so excited about my new Travel Company. I want to see so many places and this will be a great tool. Being a Travel Agent, you are able to travel at reduced rates and you get all kinds of perks. You get upgraded to suites, etc. Already we have been on a cruise in the Caribbean. What a trip. We went to Haiti, Jamaica, Cozemel, etc. Loved every minute of it. Then in April of this year, we flew to the Bahamas and spent a week. Bottom line here: I can talk about many places, not just Alaska. So let's talk. I would love to hear from each of you.
+0
Craftie Linda

1349 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Louisiana, Texas, Alaska, Alabama, etc.
9/19/2005 6:47:36 AM
Informational and Interesting Thanks Linda
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/27/2005 1:30:35 AM
Hi, Kathy Past midnite here, and I'm still cruising all your threads, though I won't post in all of them tonite. I was born and partly raised in Texas, too. We do have a lot in common! But I've never been to Alaska, though a cruise there is one of our dreams. My dad moved us to Utah instead. Talk about cultural shock! My husband and I had a big trip planned to New Orleans in October, but alas! that will have to wait. We had never been there either. So now we're going to Puerto Vallarta. First extended trip out of the country for me, though my husband was stationed in Greece many years ago in the Air Force. I'll let you know how it went when we get back. I know just enough book Spanish to be a danger to myself and others ;-). We lived on the East Coast for a few years, in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and just south of Baltimore in Maryland. Big adjustment for transplanted Utahns! Too many people and a surplus of green. Back in Utah, we love the mountains, the weather and the mostly clean air. But I miss that green! Don't care much for Florida, the air's too wet. I understand we'll have the same problem in Mexico. How do you guys breathe that stuff without gills? lol. I look forward to more of your travel tips and stories. Cheri
+0
Kathy Clark

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/27/2005 2:01:41 AM
Cheri, I am a late night owl,too. About time to call it a night. I have been through Utah in my travels, but we didn't stay long. It is a different type of beauty. Talk about Cultural Shock. Coming from 30 years in Alaska to Alabama. Wow. I love it here, but the first few summers were tough. The way I handle the hot summers is to stay inside with the airconditioning on. Thank goodness for A/C in cars today. I remember driving from Alaska to Louisiana for a visit in the summer in a Ford Falcon, with no airconditioning. It was HOT. My husband gardens in all this heat. He comes in soaking wet with perspiration, drys off and back out he goes. I don't know how he does it. He loves it. I love to go to New Orleans and the French Quarter. It seems every time we drive to our family reunion in the Lake Charles area, we have to stop in at New Orleans and get a cup of Cafe Du Monde coffee and their French Donuts. Also, Praline's. Yummy. Love to sit there and drink coffee and watch the musicians and entertainers and people. Sure hope they can one day get it all back in order. What a shame. Envious of your trip to Puerto Vallarta. That sounds like a great place to vacation. We are planning on a trip to Galveston, TX in February. Sure hope that area can get back in shape. It sure looked like it was going to be wiped out, but it wasn't quite as bad as they had feared it would be. You talk about Utah's clean air and that is one of the things I miss about Alaska. Alabama is full of every pollen you can think of and I am allergic to most of it. That is another reason I stay inside. I think what I like best about living in Alabama is being able to get in the car and drive to another State or the beach in just a few hours. In Alaska, you had to plan a trip and lots of travel time. You felt land locked. Have fun on your trip. Be sure to tell us all about it.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!