Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Mountains are for Climbing, but take a guide
8/16/2009 6:20:51 PM

Mountains ARE for Climbing.

Our good friend Branka introduced us recently to Paulo Coelho

This is a truly inspired man with a skill with words.

Let him give you some advice before you tackle your mountain.

PizzoTerrarosa.jpg Sunset over mountain image by gforce25_2008

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry,I just can't get the text to change to black

Manual for Climbing Mountains

Published

by

Paulo Coelho

on June 26, 2007

in Stories

.  Print ShareThis  Email This Post Tags: Blog in Myspace.

By Paulo Coelho

A] Choose the mountain you want to climb: don’t pay attention to what other people say, such as “that one’s more beautiful” or “this one’s easier”. You’ll be spending lots of energy and enthusiasm to reach your objective, so you’re the only one responsible and you should be sure of what you’re doing.

B] Know how to get close to it: mountains are often seen from far off – beautiful, interesting, full of challenges. But what happens when we try to draw closer? Roads run all around them, flowers grow between you and your objective, what seemed so clear on the map is tough in real life. So try all the paths and all the tracks until eventually one day you’re standing in front of the top that you yearn to reach.

C] Learn from someone who has already been up there: no matter how unique you feel, there is always someone who has had the same dream before you and ended up leaving marks that can make your journey easier; places to hang the rope, trails, broken branches to make the walking easier. The climb is yours, so is the responsibility, but don’t forget that the experience of others can help a lot.

D] When seen up close, dangers are controllable: when you begin to climb the mountain of your dreams, pay attention to the surroundings. There are cliffs, of course. There are almost imperceptible cracks in the mountain rock. There are stones so polished by storms that they have become as slippery as ice. But if you know where you are placing each footstep, you will notice the traps and how to get around them.

E] The landscape changes, so enjoy it: of course, you have to have an objective in mind – to reach the top. But as you are going up, more things can be seen, and it’s no bother to stop now and again and enjoy the panorama around you. At every meter conquered, you can see a little further, so use this to discover things that you still had not noticed.

F] Respect your body: you can only climb a mountain if you give your body the attention it deserves. You have all the time that life grants you, as long as you walk without demanding what can’t be granted. If you go too fast you will grow tired and give up half way there. If you go too slow, night will fall and you will be lost. Enjoy the scenery, take delight in the cool spring water and the fruit that nature generously offers you, but keep on walking.

G] Respect your soul: don’t keep repeating “I’m going to make it”. Your soul already knows that, what it needs is to use the long journey to be able to grow, stretch along the horizon, touch the sky. An obsession does not help you at all to reach your objective, and even ends up taking the pleasure out of the climb. But pay attention: also, don’t keep saying “it’s harder than I thought”, because that will make you lose your inner strength.

H] Be prepared to climb one kilometer more: the way up to the top of the mountain is always longer than you think. Don’t fool yourself, the moment will arrive when what seemed so near is still very far. But since you were prepared to go beyond, this is not really a problem.

I] Be happy when you reach the top: cry, clap your hands, shout to the four winds that you did it, let the wind - the wind is always blowing up there - purify your mind, refresh your tired and sweaty feet, open your eyes, clean the dust from your heart. It feels so good, what was just a dream before, a distant vision, is now part of your life, you did it!

J] Make a promise: now that you have discovered a force that you were not even aware of, tell yourself that from now on you will use this force for the rest of your days. Preferably, also promise to discover another mountain, and set off on another adventure.

K ] Tell your story: yes, tell your story! Give your example. Tell everyone that it’s possible, and other people will then have the courage to face their own mountains.

Free Distribution - you can have the e-cards by going to the photo album “Manual for Climbing Mountains”

Copyright by Paulo Coelho

Roger

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Mountains are for Climbing, but take a guide
8/17/2009 12:45:13 AM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for posting some of Paulo Coelho`s thoughts. When one writer sells 100.000.000 books word wide - this can`t be just a coincidence.

I think his "Maktub" can also be downloaded for free. There he speaks about each man, having his own personal Legend. Maktub literally means : AS HAS BEEN WRITTEN (predestined) .

"The Fifth Mountain" is my favorite book.

Thanks to one, almost invisible, golden thread spread over his "Eleven Minutes"... (I read it in 2003 I think), I paid attention to something very important and very abused in our civilization : human sexuality. That was one of the crucial moments (I should call it the GOLDEN BRICK)  in reconstructing my Inner Divine Temple.

Abused human sexuality, hides and destroys so many golden kingdoms of our own Divinity. What we see, buy (pay) and think we enjoy, is nothing more than an ocean of the shame and fear and abuse.

We deserve and were given much more.

Thank you Roger once more!

Love,

Branka 

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2009 1:16:10 AM

Branka,

I will certainly be reading more.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/18/2009 5:44:39 PM

You will know, if you have visited my Goal-Setting forums, that I am a goal-setting expert.

It is amazing how similar mountain climbing is to goal-setting and achievement.

Here is a summary of rock-climbing techniques.

Picture of Mountain, Carinthia, Austria - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com

SEE HOW SIMILAR THESE ARE TO GOAL SETTING AND ACHIEVEMENT.

Summary of Rock Climbing Technique, Performance and Climbing Tips

Understand the basic principals of good rock climbing technique. To improve your own climbing performance learn and practice good climbing technique. These 13 rock climbing tips will help you accelerate your climbing performance.

1. Always Warm Up and Stretch before you start climbing. Tight muscles and ligaments don’t perform as well.
  2. Get in the habit of previewing and learning to read the route before you climb it. Developing this skill will help you get in the right position to make moves at the crux.
  3. Use only the degree of strength on you grip as necessary to steady your balance. Your grip is often the first to go, save forearm strength as much as possible.
  4. A finely developed sense of balance will help you make difficult static and dynamic moves.
  5. By keeping your body close to the wall you keep your center of balance over your center of mass and relieve pressure on your grip.
  6. Use your legs to hold your weight, not your arms. Your legs are much stronger and will carry you further.
  7. Use arms for balance and shifting weight, not holding weight. When doing moves and sequences that require a great deal of upper body strength, move quickly through the sequence.
  8. Developing the technique of dynamic movement is done by using momentum to peak at the dead point, which is the point at which you grip the hold.
  9. Combining both static and dynamic elements of climbing technique will determine your speed of climbing. Climbers who have mastered this seem to move smoothly and effortlessly.
  10. The right rock climbing techniques combined with building the right muscles give a climber a huge advantage.
  11. Muscles will perform longer with short rests. Develop a skill at finding rest opportunities while climbing to greatly extend your endurance.
  12. Push yourself and your ability with difficult routes. This means you will fall. Taking a fall correctly is one of the most important techniques to learn how to do safely, and will give you confidence to push yourself to your limit.
  13. Finally, watch and learn from other good climbers. Practice good rock climbing technique every time you climb and your climbing performance will measurably improve.

Go climb your mountain, take one step at a time.

Roger

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/18/2009 6:08:58 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!