Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Pineapple Coffee Cake
7/13/2009 10:32:09 PM

This is a healthier version of coffee cake than the usual recipes.

eating well Pineapple Coffee Cake

Makes 9 servings

Ingredients

1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups diced fresh or canned pineapple chunks, blotted dry and coarsely chopped
¼ cup chopped pecans

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just blended. (Do not overmix.) Fold in pineapple. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Combine pecans and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter.
5. Bake the cake until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.

Variations
This quick coffee cake can be made with a variety of fruit. Try rhubarb, blueberries or peaches. If using frozen fruit, increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.

Nutrition Information

Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 476 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Pineapple Coffee Cake
7/14/2009 7:18:04 PM
Hi Donna,

Coffe Cake is one of my favorite, and this one sounds great.  I will file it for future use.
This one is cherry, looks good, yes.
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Pineapple Coffee Cake
7/16/2009 8:30:38 PM

Myrna,

The picture looks so yummy! Of course, anything I make would not look so perfect, lol....but taste is the most important thing.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!