Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
American footballers need to MUSCLE up!
3/26/2009 7:06:45 PM

Hi

Okay, all those pussies in the NFL are going to have to shed their armour and motorbike helmets and start adding muscle to those puny frames if they want to play a REAL game!

From our Brisbane newspaper The Courier-Mail today:

"After nearly 30 years of trying, America will announce a professional Rugby League competition for next year in which Australian stars will be targeted to play a 14-week premiership.

US officials will be offering NRL (National Rugby League) players the chance to finish their careers overseas with a salary of $130,000 a season. (In Oz they earn up to $450,000 a season in their prime).

The season was planned to kick off on March 12 with the championship final to be played on July 4, Independance Day.

The competition will involve eight teams based in eight cities. Each club will have a 22 man playing roster played over 14 weeks - seven home games and seven away games.

Franchises are ready to be announced in Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles, Denver, Jacksonville and Boston, with more to be named. Officials hope to have a television broadcaster secured soon."

An explanation of the game:

Rugby League is played 13 a side with the players only wearing shorts, jerseys and boots, no body armour or helmets. The ball is carried forward and can be passed to team-mates but not thrown forward. The opposing side tackle the ball carriers to prevent them from reaching the tryline. The tackles can be very hard but within certain rules, e.g. no stiffarms etc. After six tackles, or if the ball is dropped, the other side carry the ball towards the opposing tryline. The game can see-saw backwards and forwards until one side score a "try". The game lasts for 2x40 minute halves. Players usually run  for about 20 minutes or more before replacement, so therefore must be very fit. Some players can last the whole 80 minutes.

America, are you excited..?

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: American footballers need to MUSCLE up!
3/27/2009 6:35:53 AM

Hi John,

You might not see many Americans participating in this thread cos American football is a way of life and they don't consider their players to be "pussies". :) :) :)

That said, I lived in South Africa for 10 years and fell in love with Rugby and also watched the different variants of the game played in Austrilia and I think New Zealand. This is one tough game and different from the football played in the USA.

I remember many years ago when they started the soccer league in the USA and I was sure it wouldn't take but it did and is quite popular now. Nothing to compare ot Football and Basketball but still a popular game.

Just as a fond memory I remember when SA played against the All Blacks and they had this giant that was an absolutely amazing player (can't remember his name). What fantastic games they were.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: American footballers need to MUSCLE up!
3/27/2009 7:20:08 PM

Hi Peter

Yes, that seems to be the case... silence was the deafening reply, lol. It seems the Yanks ARE pussies...

I think you're talking about Rugby Union as against Rugby League which I wrote about. Your game involves much more kicking (of the ball, that is) than League, sometimes for no known reason.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!