Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Greece: The legend of Mikis Theodorakis
3/19/2009 4:48:26 PM
MIKIS THEODORAKIS

Mikis Theodorakis born July 29th, 1925 is perhaps the most important Greek music composer of the 20th century, and one of the most significant in the world. Politically, until the fall of the military junta in 1974, he identified with the left; in the 1980s he became a member of parliament with the centre-right Government of New Democracy party.

35 YEARS PEACE AND FREEDOM
AFTER THE FALL OF THE GENERALS

ANTONIS

The first Theodorakis concert after the dictatorship in october 1974 was also filmed by german television. Here are the songs of that broadcast.
O Antonis from the cycle Mauthausen (Kambanellis) sung by Maria Farantouri

He has consistently opposed oppressive regimes. He was born on the island of Chios, an island in Aegean Sea, Greece,
His father was from Crete and his mother came from  Asia Minor.

He has received several offers to serve as President of Greece, but has refused them. He is known internationally for his scores in the Hollywood films, Zorba The Greek 1964 and Serpico 1973.

He formed a choir and gave his first concert at the age of seventeen. His fascination with music began in early childhood/
He taught himself to write his first songs without access to musical instruments.
OH SUN OF JUSTICE
TIS DIKAIOSYNIS ILIE
Mikis theodorakis
Odysseas Elytis 1988

Click above

During World War II he was active in the resistance against the fascist Italian and German occupation troops, helping starving children and Jewish refugees; this led to his capture and subsequent torture in Tripolis 1942 in Athens 1943-44 where he was almost beaten to death and twice buried alive. During the Greek Civil War like many other Greeks he was exiled to the islands of Ikaria and Makronisos

He studied at the Athens Conservatory and at the Conservatory of Paris where he studied musical analysis under Olivier Messiaen as well as conducting under Eugene Bigot. His time in Paris, 1954-59, was a period of intense artistic creation for him.

His symphonic works of this period, a piano concerto, his first suite and his first symphony, received international acclaim. In 1957 he won the Gold Medal in the Moscow Music Festival. In 1959, Darius Milhaud proposed him for the American Copley Music Prize as the Best European Composer of the Year, after the successful performances of his ballet "Antigone" at Covent Garden in London.

Kindly regards,
Georgios

READ MORE
Zorba The Greek - Teach me to dance (sirtaki)
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Greece: The legend of Mikis Theodorakis
3/19/2009 4:59:00 PM

Georgios.

Yet another well presented and fascinating forum subject from you.

Thank you. I enjoyed learning.

Roger

+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/20/2009 5:39:59 AM

Hello Georgios,

Thank you for the wonderful presentation of this great Greek!

((youtube id="lb2lOMUmTYs"))((/youtube))

Enjoy your weekend,

Dimitra

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2009 1:36:27 PM
Hi Roger!

Thank you for supporting Greece Forum. Greece is a small nation with huge history. Modern Greece got it independence because our people did no forget its history but also to great Philhellenes (Friends of Hellenic spirit), like Lord Byron.

Happy Week End
Georgios
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2009 1:42:28 PM
Hello Dimitra!

Thank you for supporting this new forum on Greece! Thank you for sending the song. Everything in this forum will be about Greece in all ages and Greece realtion to the world.

Chatzidakis is another famous Greek who will have a Philoxenia page.

Though spring and "green" equinox it is snowing here. Soon our our gardens will be like this:

Kindly Regards,
Georgios

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!