Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Social Networking
2/12/2009 3:48:54 PM
Hi everyone,

It's often been asked of me what did I do to build such a large gathering of friends here in Adland and elsewhere on other social networking sites, so I thought it might be nice to just share a few of my most common practices to build friends and contacts online.

No question that while on one hand having a large contact base is a true benefit to any marketer, on the other hand it can be a detriment. The more people you know (in particular the more marketers you know) the more you will be contacted with offers and deals and spam and personal messages and spam and more......
That's what it feels like some days.

The nice thing is when there is something I really want to share with a lot of people, because with my large friends lists I can get a rapid distribution of that info in a hurry..and those people pass the info out to their friends similarly, and so on.

Long ago I gave up on those quick little promo offers to my friends lists for the simple fact that those things NEVER work unless you have a large list of friends or contacts, so I would be doing most of my friends a disservice by representing that such and such an opportunity was really any good for them because they knew relatively few people and had really no readership or scope of contacts.

So here in Adland where I really got started in social networking I quickly found a way to get more people to join with me in friendship, and that was by making the offer. The nice thing about this Adland is that it presented a shortcut in accessing other members and that was through a tag in the upper bar called "Reports"

I would regularly go through that list and invite every new member for that day or for that week, and I would also go through the most friendly and most active members lists and invite any who weren't already my friends.
That takes a lot of dedication to go through those lists, but that's how I did it here folks. In doing so I expanded my range and scope of contacts immensely.

On other social sites it's not quite that easy, but there are usually more than one way to accomplish things, and every site will have some way for you to communicate with new people and offer your request for friendship.

Along with that of course comes a certain responsibility, because I didn't gather so many people to me only to have wasted my time after chasing them all away by constant marketing to them at every opportunity. In fact now I rarely if ever share a link unless I truly believe that people will improve their success with it.

Another large list of socially acquired friends that I have is in FaceBook, but that site I've found to be a lot more work than in Adland, because although the ability is there to search out people, it's organized in a different manner, and there are limits on how many invites in a day that you can make, and limits (presently) on the total number of friends you can have (5000 in Facebook) Another thing is also that FaceBook members aren't by any stretch all marketers, in fact my guess is that marketers are probably amongst the smaller minority of FaceBookers. So marketing messages there are often misunderstood and quite often reported as spam.

I found that participating in Groups that specifically allow members to become an "Admin" for a day to invite all the members of the group, was probably the quickest way to build a larger following, however your ability to contact them is limited, and in fact sending too many marketing messages will most likely get your account cancelled and you'll have to start from scratch.

Twitter also has become a VERY popular platform for building a large contacts list, however marketing messages are the norm on Twitter these day. You'll find the most successful "twitterers" refrain from overdoing it on blatant marketing messages, and many in fact simply offer some useful link to a blog post and let the quality of that message and subsequent links drive people to a desired marketing message.

Technorati, Digg, Stumbleupon, and the vast and growing number of Ning groups also provide an enormous selection of contacts for you to work with in your efforts.

Social Marketing is definitely a powerful way to get your marketing messages out to a lot of people, but the critical thing to remember is that Social Marketing is a LONG TERM strategy, and in the meantime you need to continue with your other marketing activities. Give yourself time to develop not only the contacts, but also your voice and a message that makes you stand out from the crowd in such a way that people don't see you as a "salesperson" but more as a provider of useful information and products.

I hope this discussion has been informative and useful to you. Feel free to leave me any comments and viewpoints.

Tweet me if you like at my link below..and don't forget any of you who blog, there's still time to get yours in before the closing of nominations on the 15th at BlognetAwards

Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Social Networking
2/12/2009 5:02:29 PM

Tim,

This is excellent information and clearly put.

I have, like you, experimented here at Adland but I lack the technical online marketing knowledge having cut my teeth on offline MLM.

Thank you again.

My aim is one day to develop a PROPER team marketing sytem based upon peoples levels of activity AND their individual skills. One day my Glacial Movement  will arrive (much still to do) and until then I sit back a little on my marketing.

You have, at the end of the day, underlined what is great about Adland.

Roger

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 2:20:14 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Walter Webb

108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/13/2009 8:17:32 AM

Hi Tim and a good post which gives people food for thought. Maybe the one thing I might add is when occasionally you do want to send a marketing message, (and I do mean on rare occasions, not all the time people). Use hyperlinks such as Tim used for Blognet awards.

This keeps your post clean and does not make it look gaudy for lack of a better term. Nothing looks worse than a bunch of http links scattered in a post. The best thing though is to remember "Content is King" give people something worth reading and you will do yourself a better service in the long run. Good content stays on the net forever but emails and ads are gone with the click of a delete button.

So use hyperlinks whenever possible, even is social networking, this gives people the choice of looking or not and it keeps things clean.

Walt AKA All Sports on the Web

+0
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 10:48:36 AM
Thanks Roger and Walt,

Your comments are appreciated.

It's amazing how much there is to learn in all of this marketing industry..and I continue to learn every day by reading great blogs! After all this time I've even managed my first (and I hope) successful Newsletter. I'm asking everyone reading this to head on over to see it and let me know what you think.
BlogNet Awards Events Newsletter

Better yet, if you really like it I invite you to SUBSCRIBE and get in on the contests and fun!!

T

Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!