Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Honey Oat Quick Bread
1/22/2009 10:58:41 PM
Here is a bread you don't have to knead. Since I hate kneading it is a recipe I might try, especially since it is healthy.

Honey Oat Quick Bread from EatingWell Recip
eating well Honey Oat Quick Bread

Makes 12 slices

Ingredients

2 tablespoons plus 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking (not instant) oats, divided
1 ⅓ cups whole-wheat flour or white whole-wheat flour (see Tip)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
8 ounces (scant 1 cup) nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup clover honey or other mild honey
¾ cup nonfat or low-fat milk

Instructions

1. Position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°F. Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch (or similar size) loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
2. Thoroughly stir together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, beat the remaining 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incorporated but not overmixed (excess mixing can cause toughening). Immediately scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon oats over the top.
3. Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s normal for the top to crack.) Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it and turn it out onto the rack. Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.

Tips

Store cooled bread, tightly wrapped, for up to 1 day at room temperature. If desired, warm (wrapped in foil) at 375°F before serving.

Tip: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. Two companies that distribute the flour nationally are King Arthur Flour (kingarthurflour.com) and Bob’s Red Mill (bobsredmill.com).

Nutrition Information

Per slice: 193 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Iron (15% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat

2 tablespoons plus 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking (not instant) oats, divided
1 ⅓ cups whole-wheat flour or white whole-wheat flour (see Tip)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
8 ounces (scant 1 cup) nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup clover honey or other mild honey
¾ cup nonfat or low-fat milk
1. Position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°F. Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch (or similar size) loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
2. Thoroughly stir together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, beat the remaining 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incorporated but not overmixed (excess mixing can cause toughening). Immediately scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon oats over the top.
3. Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s normal for the top to crack.) Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it and turn it out onto the rack. Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.

Store cooled bread, tightly wrapped, for up to 1 day at room temperature. If desired, warm (wrapped in foil) at 375°F before serving.

Tip: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. Two companies that distribute the flour nationally are King Arthur Flour (kingarthurflour.com) and Bob’s Red Mill (bobsredmill.com).

Per slice: 193 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Iron (15% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Honey Oat Quick Bread
1/22/2009 11:27:55 PM
Hi donna,

Sound good.

This doesn't look like oatmean, but it does look like what I would use to bake it.lol
Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/22/2009 11:29:09 PM
Hi Myrna,
The bread looks good! :)
DonnaZ
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2009 2:39:25 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 5:49:52 PM
Hi Nick,

Lot of hugs!!!

DonnaZ
+0