Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Leonie Parker

67 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Another New Medication Approved for Fibromyalgia
2/15/2009 10:51:12 PM

Hi Donna,

I have been taking three meds for hypertension. THe last one only added some months ago. It was a beta blocker. Since that time I have  barely been able to drag myself out of bed.

I felt like I was in a deep, dark hole. In fact I felt so bad I didn't want to continue. Wow, that is not like me.

So I thought I am going to cut out the beta blocker and see what happens.

I have a monitor and check the bp night and morning and so far (a few weeks) there has been little change in the readings. But there has been a change in ME.

Feeling much better in myself although still have the aches and pains but I've had them all my life so I can cope with that.

I've just run out of the second one and am waiting see what will happen. I suppose I had better check in with the doctor soon.

Anyhow just thought I would agree with you about some meds are necessary and some can be avoided.

Medical profession uses big scary words to keep us ignorant and reliant on them.

Leonie

Renew & restore your health:
http://elcee.stemtechbiz.com.au
Build your Wealth Portfolio
http://join4adollar.com/?ref=leepar
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/16/2009 11:37:35 PM
Hi Leonie,

I cannot take beta blockers, either. One of them, Vasotec, gave me such a bad cough that I tore the chest muscles, according to my doctor. Then Lisinopril caused problems with my liver, so that was discontinued. Now I do not get prescribed any more beta blockers.

My doctor is still trying to find an additional medication that will work for me, as my blood pressure is still above the normal range most of the time.

I am glad you stopped the beta blocker since it made you feel so bad.

DonnaZ
+0
Leonie Parker

67 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/17/2009 12:54:52 AM

Hi Donna,

Thank you for reassuring me about beta blockers. Most people would throw up their hands in horror at going against doctor's advice.

A friend suggested that I take Olive leaf extract which I have been doing 3 times a day. I think it is helping. At least my bp is not skyrocketing.

Your posts are very much appreciated.

Leonie

Renew & restore your health:
http://elcee.stemtechbiz.com.au
Build your Wealth Portfolio
http://join4adollar.com/?ref=leepar
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/19/2009 12:18:47 AM
Hi Leonie,

Yes, some people still think that doctors know everything there is to know about every condition. It is not realistic to believe that they are superhuman. Now with insurance companies breathing down their necks, doctors have to hurry you out so they can see the next patient. When do they have time for workshops and individual research/studies? They are very busy with their practices. Drug sales representatives come along and tell they wonderful things about the new medications, so the doctors prescribe them for their patients.

I keep track of my blood pressure twice a day at this time because my pressure has been elevated. Then I take the list to my doctor at my next appointment so she can see what the various pressures have been since my last appointment.

It is important to keep track of which medications caused side-effects, or were ineffective in treating the condition. That way we can relay the information to our doctor to help him/her make an informed decision on what to suggest next.

Let us know how the olive leaf extract works after you have been taking it for a few weeks.

DonnaZ
+0
3/28/2009 3:16:46 AM
Hello, I just found this site, but I am enjoying the discussion. As a pharmacist and the spouse of a fibromyalgia patient, I have particular interest in the approval of the new fibro drugs including Savella. 

I would agree  that we can't blindly trust the pharmaceutical industry to always keep our best interests in mind, and that we should be skeptical of the barrage of ads promoting these new products.  Having said that, I suspect Savella will help some fibromyalgia patients. I just don't think we should look at it as a medical breakthrough in the treatment of fibromyalgia.

I've actually been blogging about this same topic for anyone who wants to know more about how the FDA prioritizes the New Drug Application process:

The New Fibromyalgia Drugs: Hype or Hope?

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!