Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Laila Falck

358 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
I read an interesting book yesterday
1/1/2009 8:24:16 AM
Hello and good morning to you all.
Some people think a lot before writing or telling things. I think a lot afterward, checking. And I suppose I should think I little more before too. Did I say the right thing(s), how did my listeners understand this or that, was I  pushy, was the analogy or thought models too simple or too...whatever? in the context?

This because I am aware that I am a person who sometimes is too full of enthusiasm in my monlogues.  And I am an artist, ...they, the artists instrument is their feelings, just like musiscians and authors and personally I have a liking for words, I want to express myself. Through pictures and sculpture, then by words ...But..
We must all remember that a Bahai arguing in favor of Bahai Faith cannot persuade anybody by means of his or her own words. The main thing is the revealed Word of God, that is, what the Messenger of God has set down. Therefore I use quotations, trying my best to find them . So,one may put forward arguments to ponder upon in support of His Revelation and use similies but we,  humans making research in the field of religious faith, must look at the Revelation itself in the first place, if we are seekers and wish to be informed and/or confirmed.          I have become a Bahai because I studied the revealed scripture by Bahaullah, not because a Bahai persuaded me. The Word is the sole consolation and clarifier. It is endowed with the Spirit of God, It possesses the power of transforming the human heart, which God has singled out for Himself.

O SON OF BEING!
Thy heart is my home; sanctify it for My descent. Thy spirit is My place of revelation; cleanse it for My manifestation.                        Bahaullah              

A new theme:Fundamentalism and Liberalism.
All day yesterday I read some interesting essays and I came across the subject of religious Fundamentalists and Liberals. I'll try to summarize: These two groups of people, says the author of an essay in "Reason and Revelation",Moojan Momen, show forth two types of thinking or phsyche and can be found in any kind of social or cultural environment and in any age.

The liberals are open to other religious groups,mix with them and among them there is an attitude towards diversity within religion and even ecumenic thoughts appear. Historically "A liberal society, such as Moslem Spain in the medieval period"both the Christian, Jewish and Moslem quarters at that time "allowed the efflorescence of intellectual and artistic excellence". (Moojan Momen)
The liberals thrive where a variety of viewpoints fluorish.Science is an open field for them.
The opposite  is true of the fundamentalists. They have appeared in history too and we see them today and live secluded from others. In all religions. Fundamentalists  would regard other Messengers of God as false with the exception of those who have preceded the one they adhere to. (But there are exceptions )They look upon  other people as infidels. Even worthy of persecution.They use scientific methods only where it suits them, feeling modern society is a mine field. The Moslem priesthood of Iran is one exemple.
The fundamentalist believes he and  he alone possesses the truth. And all others  must adapt to the  society he regards as the true one.  He or she is not open to inter-faith dialogue.
For the fundamentalist the scripture, the doctrines and the traditions are holy and are to be protected from the influence of the secular world and of other faiths.                                                                                   To the fundamentalist the question of salvation is a matter for the individual,..liberals are more leaning towards a social salvation,  and as M.M puts it regarding the latter:To strive for individual salvation when society itself is not saved is egotistical and reprehensible.
The fundamentalist mentality is one that tends to divide everything into black and white, nuances lacking and the liberals are more open towards grey-zones like...a person who isn't a believer but performs good acts is accepted. The fundamentalist condemns that person,- for example, the doctrine says: good acts arn't enough.
All this M.M says, and I agree, has the root in two ways of thinking. The fundamentalist must be absolutely certain, and certainty is garanteed by "objectivity". And for the liberal:"The opinions, the uncertain field of historical and literay criticism where different opinions abound, are all tainted by personal opinion, and therefore by subjectivity. This is deeply unsatisfactory to the fundamentalist psyche."(M.M) for "their" religion is the objective truth.

I hope this shortened depicting is clarifying.
Why did I take up this? It is because I wish to explain the Bahai view. It is because the Bahai Faith is universal in such wise that it must include and is addressed to  every type of people, all around the world , to every kind of personality,ethnic group, every nation and class. It must incorporate all kinds of humans. So, it is because I wish to show that both these two attitudes must be reconciled within the Bahai community. How then can these  seemingly conflicting views abide side by side without animosity.How can we learn to cooperate in friendship.?
I'll try to be short , which isn't easy,without quoting too much.
Generally speaking, many of "the issues  causing tensions  of former faiths", such as the role of women, holy war(Jihad),priesthood,education,  dogmas and traditions are solved, and also the issue of interpretation of the holy text.because (below are a few exemples)
1 As ordained by Bahaullah The equality between the sexes is one of the prescriptions for  this age. With time and patience this insight of the equality between the sexes will grow also in societies where the role of women is that of subordination.
2. Priesthood is abolished, and I should say, is replaced by chosen assemblies, the Bahai administration. Only when the assembly is gathered descicionmaking and authority prevail. The individual can not decide for others. When the meeting is over the members are just individuals, have no special authority. We are all prescribed to look towrds the authority of Bahaullah and His institutions.
3. Holy war is abolished.
4..Bahaullah has appointed His eldest son Abdu'l-Bahá as sole Interpreter.
5. There are no existing traditions or real theological dogmas in the Bahai Faith. Corresponding to , for example a bodily ascension of the messenger or verbal traditions,  like Moslem hadiths or sayings .
There is of course the concept of the Covenant-but this "are in fact matters of establishing authority rather than establishing theological doctrine".(M.M)
. What to do when you are persecuted for your faith?: Bahais have to adhere to this: "It is better to be killed than to kill".
Furthermore "the main mechanism of public discourse and descicion-making in the community is consultation. We are exhorted to "take counsel together in all matters"(Bahaullah). This is a "spiritual responsibility".
Bahaullahs foremost command unto His adherents is to be united.."this imperative is higher than all other considerations".(M.M)

There occurred once an disagreement  between two Persian Bahais concerning the station of Bahaullah, and they "wrote to Him for arbitration. In answer Bahaullah said that if they were united both sides were right and if they were divided both were wrong."(Shoghi Effendi)
So, and this is new. it is more important to be united than to be right. This is what is right.To be united is the right thing. This is an exiting trait I think.
Another example. A local assembly might unitedly come to a certain descicion but... it happens to be an incorrect, wrong descicion. What to do? ......As long as the assembly members are united they can try to carry out their descicion, but, we are promised.... "God will correct" them on the way. We do not panic

You might wonder: what is the station of Bahaullah,then? Isn't there an  answer to this? First I'd say that, this is the Great Mystery, as is, of course, the station of Jesus. See!? I'd say. God alone knows. For my part, personally it is a matter of one's feelings as well. However, Bahaullah, explains His station as a twofold station,first as the One who is endowed with the Eternal allknowing Spirit of God and that all the Messengers preceding Him are endowed with it. And second, the other station is the historical Figure  He is, with certain personal traits, coming from a certain country where a certain faith is spread and a certain culture and with a certain Message designed for this age in which we live.
He explains this twofold station in a book called the Kitab-i-Iqan. "The Book of Certitude", which can be obtained from the national book publishing company of the Bahais, in the country where you live.
Returning to the theme.
Were do we stand, what are we Bahais. We believe in "unity in diversity" and we wish to give the original Words of Bahaullah to the world as it is. They are in our view, like the Sun for us,shining upon the diversity of the thoughts of mankind.

Bye for now
Again I say Happy New Year!
Laila

"Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens" "The source of arts and crafts is the power of reflection" Bahá'u'lláh.1817-1892 Founder of the Bahái'Faith
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: I read an interesting book yesterday
1/1/2009 8:50:05 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Laila Falck

358 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: I read an interesting book yesterday
1/2/2009 3:41:01 AM
Good Morning
Thank you Nick,  thanks and you are my first wonderful friend and, I believe a friend of Bahaullah, the Glory of God Himself. Now, please think of me now when I am going to take a SAS plan to London and the huge crowd of Bahais from all over Europe. I haven't made a journey abroad for many years except Denmark
. I would have liked to send you a card from London,  while having tea at a restaurant at the British Museum.But I do not know your address. I'll give you a report upon my arrival home.
I am so exited, but I did sleep tonight.
Now I must look to see if I have everything.
Many hugs and greetings from Laila.

"Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens" "The source of arts and crafts is the power of reflection" Bahá'u'lláh.1817-1892 Founder of the Bahái'Faith
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!