Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Happy Hanukkah (Chanukah) for all my Jewish Friends!
12/22/2008 10:19:58 AM

Fireworks University : Holidays : Hanukkah History

The History of Hanukkah (Chanukah)

Hanukkah

Hanukkah, a Hebrew term meaning ‘dedication’, is reflective of the Jerusalem temple, located in the village of Modi’in, that was reacquired by Judah the Maccabee from King Antiochus IV of Syria. Antiochus, a Greek leader, prohibited Jewish customs and required Jews to worship Greek Gods. Maccabee and his small group of followers defeated the Greek Army over a three year period despite having a smaller legion of fighters and weapons and recovered their land.

Following their victory, Maccabee and his allies visited the Holy Temple, only to find it severely damaged. Eventually, they cleaned and restored the temple, and, upon completion, decided that it should be re-dedicated and celebrated. As part of the celebration, they relit the Menorah (candelabra) that was damaged and repaired after the fighting. Unable to find a supply of oil, their only source came in a small flask. It was determined that there was enough oil to keep the candle lit for just one day. Miraculously, the oil lasted for eight days, which gave them plenty of time to acquire purified oil to refill and keep the Menorah lit continuously. Thus, to honor the eight-day miracle, Jews celebrate Hanukkah by lighting a candle in a Menorah for each of the eight nights.

Hanukkah (Chanukah) Celebrated 25th day of the Hebrew month of Kislev celebrated for 8 days.

I lit a candle last nite also!
Beth

+0
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Happy Hanukkah (Chanukah) for all my Jewish Friends!
12/22/2008 10:34:20 AM

Hanukkah Sufganiyot

Each year Jewish families celebrate Hanukkah by serving sufganiyot, a traditional holiday treat. These Israeli doughnuts, which are deep-fried in oil, commemorate the miracle of the burning oil lamps in the ancient Holy Temple in Jerusalem (their name is derived from the Greek word “sufgan,” meaning “puffed and fried”). Plump up the doughnuts with your favorite fruit jams, and serve them hot, if possible. For a wintry effect, sprinkle their tops with granulated sugar.

Ingredients
2  tablespoons active dry yeast    
1/2  cup warm water (100* to 110*F)    
1/4  cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, plus more for rolling    
2 1/2  cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting    
2  large eggs    
2  tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature    
1/2  teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg    
2  teaspoons salt    
3  cups vegetable oil, plus more for bowl    
1  cup seedless raspberry jam 

Directions 
1.   In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.

2.   Place flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center; add eggs, yeast mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, nutmeg, and
salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a sticky dough forms. On a well-floured work surface, knead until dough is smooth, soft, and bounces back when poked with a finger, about 8 minutes (add more flour if necessary). Place in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

3.   On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch-round cutter or drinking glass,
cut 20 rounds. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 15 minutes.  

4.   In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until a deep-frying thermometer registers 370*F. Using a slotted
spoon, carefully slip 4 rounds into oil. Fry until golden, about 40 seconds. Turn doughnuts over; fry until golden on other side, another 40 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Roll in sugar while warm. Fry all dough, and roll in sugar. 

5.   Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #4 tip with jam. Using a wooden skewer or toothpick, make a hole in the side of each
doughnut. Fit the pastry tip into a hole, pipe about 2 teaspoons jam into doughnut. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.  Makes 20

Source:   www.marthastewart.com
Photo: Simon Watson

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Happy Hanukkah (Chanukah) for all my Jewish Friends!
12/22/2008 7:44:30 PM

Hello Beth,

Thanks for your kind wishes for the festival of lights Chanukkah. This is indeed a joyous holiday loved and celebrated in all homes. The flickering Lights emanating from the chanukiya candles in all the windows is a sight to see.

My mother in law had a recipe for the sufganiyot that we haven't been able to copy since she passed away. It's all written down but the end result is different from her famous sufganiyot. They were light airy and a delight to eat. Ours are good but not even close to what she made in the hundreds every Chanukkah. :)

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!