Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
THREE GREAT MASTERS' NATIVITY PAINTINGS III
12/21/2008 4:28:48 PM

Dear Friends,

Although this forum has been mostly inactive of late, these Christmas days I have been feeling the least I could do was offer you again, as I did in years past, three great painter's master pieces centered on the Nativity of the Lord. This time the three of them are oils but the first one was painted on wood panels. As usual, they are not very known to the general public but are among the most beautiful religious paintings ever made. I hope you will like and feel inspired by them. (NOTE: You may click on the images to enlarge them.)

The first one, "Concert of Angels and Nativity", is the central panel of the Isenheim Altarpiece painted circa 1515 by the German Northern Rennaincence painter Matthias Grünewald (1470-1528); the other two main panels (not shown here) being "The Annunciation" (left) and "The Resurrection" (right). This wonderful altarpiece is preserved at the
Musée d'Unterlinden, Colmar (in Alsace, present-day France).

Concert of Angels and Nativity
by Matthias Grünewald

The second, "The Adoration of the Maggi" (better-known as "The Three Maggi"), is a wonderful, most original oil on canvas painted in 1512 by the Italian High Rennaisance (Mannerist) painter Jacoppo Bassano (ca. 1510-1592). This medium-sized masterpiece (92.3 x 117.5 cm) may be viewed at the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, Austria.

Adoration of the Maggi
by Jacoppo Bassano

The third and last one, titled "Nativity with St Francis and St Lawrence", is also a precious, most impressive oil on canvas painted ca. 1609 by the Italian Baroque painter Michelangelo Merissi di Caravaggio (1571-1610). This painting, which is one of his many works of religious subject, was unfortunately stolen from the Oratory of San Lorenzo, Palermo (Italy) where it was preserved.

Nativity with St Francis and St Lawrence
by Caravaggio

This time too I have avoided including too many technical data about the authors and their works, as my only purpose was to provide you with some particularly beautiful paintings of the Nativity of the Lord.

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THREE GREAT MASTERS' NATIVITY PAINTINGS III
12/21/2008 5:51:57 PM
Hi Luis Miguel

This is a delightful surprise for all of us and myself especially, as this is my favourite forum here at Adland!

Thanks for three beautiful nativity scenes which I am enjoyinging just gazing at right now.  The Carravaggio is, of course, my favourite. lol

Muchisimas gracias y felices pascuas

Jenny
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/21/2008 6:10:00 PM

Luis Miguel,

Thank you so much for this beautiful forum.

I think the animals in the Bassano painting are wonderful.

The Caravaggio is a wonderfully executed painting which has almost photographic accuracy and superb lighting.

They are all inspired works of art and in turn inspire others.

A lovely reminder of the true story of Christmas.

Roger

+0
Steven Suchar

13302 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/21/2008 7:06:32 PM
Season's Greetings Luis :)

+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/21/2008 10:54:52 PM

Dear Luis,

What a wonderful surprise.  This has always been one of my most favorite forums.

These paintings are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and what a wonderful time of year to share these 3 special paintings.  I agree with you wholehearted that they are some of the most beautiful paintings of the nativity I have ever seen.

Bless you my friend for always bringing such incredible value to all of us at Adland.

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!

http://celebrate.homestead.com/ccwinman4.gif   http://celebrate.homestead.com/Sig_Tag.gif  http://celebrate.homestead.com/ccwinman3.gif
http://celebrate.homestead.com/hollybar.jpg

Love and blessings,  Cal and Jill

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!