Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Google CEO's and Pre-Elect Prez Obama
11/9/2008 3:52:24 PM
Economists and Wall Street types sent two clear messages this week in one simple statement: President-elect Obama needs to get his financial team working on the present crisis ASAP. The underlying message there is, obviously: Bush’s team is asses over elbows on this, and we can’t wait until January 20.

Sure enough, as the stock market plunges again upon news of jobless rates—6.5 percent—and “layoffs” become the latest buzzword in Silicon Valley instead of trendy mashed-up neologisms, Obama is meeting today with a 17-member panel dubbed his Economic Transition Team.

Taking his place among an elite braintrust with a combined net worth as startling as the lengths of their economic resumes, Google CEO Eric Schmidt almost seems like a token representative of the tech industry. Still, he’s a far cry from the blank stares of Bernanke and the glistening panic-and-bail-out forehead of Paulson.

And why not? He’s done pretty well managing Google, and at this point all suggestions—except for hiring more Bear Sterns masterminds—for the Fed are welcome. Schmidt’s presence on today’s panel is interesting in light of a resounding “H. E. double tooth picks  No” from the Obama campaign trail as to whether he was throwing his hat in the political realm. At the time, people were more inclined to view him as a consideration for Obama’s Chief Technical Officer, a position for which Steve Ballmer (not on the panel) and Vint Cerf also have been considered.

The meeting may also be a final audition for Lawrence Summers, the former Treasury Secretary who oversaw the dotcom bust between 1999 and 2001, who’s being reconsidered for that position. But Summers is perhaps better known for his graceless exit from Harvard after suggesting girls just can’t do math. Presumably a certain level of sexism does not outweigh his renowned brilliance as an economist.

Summers’ presence on the panel is telling in that the presence of the other lead-contender for Treasury Secretary—New York Fed chief Tim Geithner—was not requested (or couldn't make it) for this meeting. Former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker is there, alongside the teleconferencing Warren Buffet, who apparently had more pressing issues preventing him from attending in person.

Here’s the complete list of the 17 people Obama has enlisted to save our economy.

David Bonior (former Congressman)
Warren Buffett (Chairman and CEO, Berkshire Hathaway)
Roel Campos (former SEC Commissioner)
William Daley (JP Morgan Chase; Former Commerce Secretary)
William Donaldson (Former SEC Chairman)
Roger Ferguson (CEO of TIAA-CREF and former Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve)
Jennifer Granholm (Governor of Michigan)
Anne Mulcahy (CEO of Xerox)
Richard Parsons (Chairman of the Board, Time Warner)
Penny Pritzker (CEO, Classic Residence by Hyatt)
Robert Reich (University of California, Berkeley; Former Dept of Labor Secretary)
Robert Rubin (Chairman, Citigroup; former Treasury Secretary
Eric Schmidt (CEO of Google)
Lawrence Summers (Harvard University; Managing Director, D.E. Shaw; Former Treasury Secretary)
Laura Tyson (Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley; Former Chairman, National Economic Council; Former Chairman, President’s Council of Economic Advisors)
Antonio Villaraigosa (Mayor of Los Angeles)
Paul Volcker (Former Fed Chair)
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Google CEO's and Pre-Elect Prez Obama
11/9/2008 4:17:41 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Google CEO's and Pre-Elect Prez Obama
11/9/2008 4:42:08 PM
Im an obtimist case you havent noticed members and it has always pulled me through any obsticle, being a man of faith i know this to be true. We got a new president coming in our oval office, and already making changes, 47 years of age i think Obama is and i personally have a good feeling about these next 4 years.        
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Re: Google CEO and Pre-Elect Prez Obama
11/10/2008 9:11:46 AM

President Obama as I have stated before in another forum will sorround himself with some of the best minds in the country and this group of people prove that to be true but those of us who want to see this President speak to our needs must speak out otherwise we run the rick of being left out to do nothing but complain rather than offer solutions. I supported and worked for his election and have been politically active since 1967 and know from experience that if you leave others to speak for you the good chance is that you are going to get left out. Most of our needs or local and not a national concern so we must seek to have our local elected official be more responsive to our needs. There are to few people speaking out for our small towns and rural communities and there is a high disconnect so forming a consortium of small towns and rural communities organized to present your case in a collective manner to the Congress and Senate on both the state and national levels. I believe the rural communities has the capacity to solve our energy dependent and create many jobs and additional income for Farmer all across this country of which will give much financial support to our small towns. T. Boone Pickens has a good plan,on energy independent, that he is promoting and should be invited to these rural communities to educate the community on how his plan will effect our local concerns.

On the housing crisis we are facing it doesn't matter how much money congress put into the hands of the lenders unless they force them to change the way the design lending programs we will continue to see the same things happen. The exotic products sold at every level is the cause of the problem. Congress looked the other way while these lenders kept making money for the unsuspecting public trying to get a piece of the American dream and tried to place all the blame on the buyers rather than those who design this mess in the first place. The first thing congress need to  force the lenders to stop all foreclosures for six months and redo outstanding loans at the current value of the property and reduce the rate to the lowest level possible and waive credit requirement and based the new loan on the ability to pay base on income.Create a quarterly audit for all lenders so as to catch and prevent the same failures we are now seeing. Second all new loans should be shorter terms (not longer than 10 years) change from compounded interest to simple interest rate. Creating faster equity in the purchase properties and faster ownership giving the owner an  ability to purchase again for investment purposes or use the equity to pay for education or retirement or go into business. Ownership is key in the society we live in.  

Many of our cities large and small need infrastructure money to replace and repair roads, streets,sewage,bridges,highways,schools and other such needs thereby creating many jobs and income to support the local businesses. But if we do find way to speak out someone will speak for you and four years from now all will be left is anger for all those government people. We need a Government for the people and by the people and that mean you. So get busy. Much success

Eugene 

Eugene Carter
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Google CEO and Pre-Elect Prez Obama
11/10/2008 11:56:57 AM
I think te young people and Obama's political avenues to the small mediums that make up so much more on the peoples levels than just a big political costly platform is what got Obama elected, perhaps Oprah had some of that as well in mainstreaming his campain for the media, a grassroots if you will. Having Joe Bidon in his corner i think Obama will do much of a better job than previous W. Bush, although not until Jan of 09 Bush has a lot of work to do. Thanks for the comments Eugene :) God_bless you and God_bless America!            
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!