Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Role of Gender in Fibromyalgia
9/23/2008 11:33:04 PM
This article compares the effects of fibromyalgia in men and women, which I have not heard about before.

Everyday Health

The Role of Gender in Fibromyalgia

Men and women experience fibromyalgia symptoms differently – here's why
Fibromyalgia predominantly affects women — up to 85 percent of cases are diagnosed in females, according to the National Fibromyalgia Association. Men get the disorder too, but they experience it very differently. Males tend to get fewer and milder symptoms than women. Their discomfort also lasts for shorter periods of time and occurs less often.

"While women typically experience tenderness or pain in at least 11 of 18 tender points, men may have only six places in the body that are tender, and they aren't as painful as those in women patients," says Tarvez Tucker, M.D., a fibromyalgia expert and associate professor of neurology at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. The reasons for these gender differences aren't completely understood, but there are several theories why women suffer more than men.

Fibromyalgia: The Estrogen Connection

Because fibromyalgia peaks in women during the reproductive years, female hormones are believed to play a role in the higher incidence and severity of the disorder. Many women complain that fibromyalgia pain is worse just before and during their periods. This may be due to hormone fluctuations — estrogen plummets right before menstruation and begins to rise again after a woman's period is over.

"Estrogen is believed to be protective against pain," says Dr. Tucker. "It's very high during pregnancy, probably to protect women from the pain of childbirth." But in menstruating women, estrogen levels fluctuate during the month, which can worsen fibromyalgia symptoms as levels dip.

It's also thought that men more effectively release endorphins, natural substances in the brain that activate its pain-killing receptors. Research suggests that women, in general, have lower thresholds to pain than men, which may relate to these endorphin and hormonal differences.

Fibromyalgia: Role of testosterone

Men have a small amount of estrogen, but it doesn't fluctuate throughout the month the way it does in menstruating women. "It's the changes in estrogen levels that seem to trigger a higher sensitivity to pain," says Dr. Tucker. Additionally, the male hormone testosterone may be protective against pain. "Clinical experience has shown that men with [the] highest levels of testosterone are the least prone to fibromyalgia," says Patrick Wood, M.D., a fibromyalgia researcher and chief medical advisor for the National Fibromyalgia Association. Women have this hormone too, but only in a small amount compared to men. Some researchers theorize that testosterone may protect men from experiencing as much fibromyalgia discomfort, as well as fewer migraines or other pain conditions that are more common in women.

Fibromyalgia: A Hidden Disorder in Men?

Though fibromyalgia symptoms are less intense in men, many still suffer from the disorder. Moreover, some experts believe that the incidence in men may be higher than the numbers indicate. Because fibromyalgia is typically considered a woman's syndrome, male sufferers may be overlooked. "There's a notion among physicians that fibromyalgia is only a female problem, so it's not a diagnosis that's often considered in male patients," says Dr. Wood.

Additionally, men tend to see doctors less often than women, especially for generalized pain complaints "Many men believe that going to a doctor for vague, hurt-all-over pain is being a little bit of a wimp," notes Dr. Tucker. Rather than being seen as less manly, they don't seek diagnosis and treatment.

Fortunately, awareness of fibromyalgia is increasing both in the public eye and in medical circles, so it's becoming increasingly common for doctors to pick up on fibromyalgia symptoms in male patients. Properly diagnosed, all its sufferers can find relief. Several medications are now approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia in both men and women.

+0
Re: The Role of Gender in Fibromyalgia
9/24/2008 7:37:23 AM
I used to belong to a group where I lived before and we only had one man member out of about forty women.
Of course, men usually like to suffer in silence so may not come forward.
Shirley Manion MoneyMakers, Shopping, blogs, fun places http://www.connectionsecrets.com/webmasterhelpers Shopping Bargains and Deals Connections http://www.connectionsecrets.com/bargainshopping Your own fun Iggly Biggly business for only $20.00 h
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/24/2008 11:01:26 PM
Hi Shirley,

Yes, the average man would not be quick to admit to having fibromyalgia.  I personally know several females who have it, but not any males.

DonnaZ
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/25/2008 1:13:01 AM

Dear Sister Donna

Picture man is here to the rescue !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2008 6:12:47 PM

Hi Brother Nick, Picture Man!!!

Thank you for the great graphic. I think I have all of the trigger points shown.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!