Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
I'm back from Vietnam...
9/3/2008 7:52:22 PM

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back to pick and probe into your daily lives..lol

This is a very condensed version of our trip so as not to bore you too much.

The Leader Of The Opposition (wife) and I and 2 friends spent 2 weeks in Vietnam, and what a culture shock. Firstly, we visited Ho Chi Mien City (Saigon) for 3 nights, nice hotel @ $17 double room per night, incl. breakfast, usually eggs. Meals average $3 a serving at cafes, the coffee looked like mud but tasty when condensed milk added. Avoided meat as much as possible. Beer was cheap @ around 80c a can. Many markets to attract our wives. Saigon has 8 million people and 4 million motor bikes. The driving is erratic with no rules, just plenty of horn blowing, but no road rage. Temperature around 35-40 celcius, love it. Visited the war tunnels which were widened to walk through bent over. Had a private tour for 4 of the Mekong Delta by boat, hundreds of small craft carrying everything imaginable, then a home-cooked meal at the boat lady's house. Our guide took us to a meat market which stunk to high heaven. You name it, it was there, dog, cat...

Next stop, flew to Hoi An up the coast, a seaside resort for 2 nights. Another cheap hotel @ $20 per night with a buffet breakfast included and a swimming pool. China Beach is the big attraction which was featured during the war being a US recreational base close to Da Nang. Took a tour of the town by rickshaw, about $2.50 for 2 hours. Bravely drank home brew from a keg outside a cafe, 4,000 dong (30 cents) a glass, no ill effects. Very costly lunch at same cafe, prawns, spring rolls and chilli sauce, 15,000 dong ($1). More markets for the ladies while Fred and I relaxed in another cafe with Tiger beer.

The next stage of our holiday was a private car ride  over the mountains from Hoi An to Hue (pronounced "Whey"). Stopped at a small market in the mountains where the hawkers were very insistent, just about had to push them away with your foot while attempting to close the car door. Nice hotel rooms in Hue, very costly again at $20 per night, lol. Conned by the rickshaw boys who were supposed to take us to a location but ended up in a dimly lit area and wanted more money to take us back. I realised we weren't far from our location so told them to bugger off and we walked back. Next day was a day trip on the Perfume River @ $2 per head. How the boat owner made money I'll never know. Maybe he got a kickback from the markets we visited along the way. On returning to our hotel rooms, the staff had deposited a cake, flowers and a bottle of wine in Anne and Fred's room, it being her birthday. Wonderful gesture.

Flew to Hanoi for the remaining 5 days but the hotel wasn't quite up to scratch. Then again, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. As in the south, the people are very laid back, most seem to sit around drinking coffee or tea all day. A highlight for my wife was the discovery of half a street containing nothing but shops selling spectacle frames and lenses. They copy your prescription from your own glasses and make up a new set for around $70, sight perfect. The rickshaw boys have another con going here, the one-way street trick. You agree on a set fee, say 30,000 dong ($2) to go to a certain place. The boys get tired so they pull up and say they can't take you right there because it's at the end of a one way street. Most people hop out and walk the rest of the way, but what you should do is tell them to go around the other way, or no money. The highlight was a private trip to the beautiful Halong Bay. Our guide organised a private boat for 4 people (carries 60) which took us past hundreds of islands throughout the bay, with lunch and beer on board included. It was an all day trip which included a 3 hour car journey each way, 4 hours on the water and a 3 course lunch for $70 per head. The only dampner on the holiday was my wife had her bag slit with a knife at the markets on the last night in Hanoi and had about $100 stolen.

The people everywhere seem to have very little, but are happy and smiling. It makes one realise what we are about with all our material possessions.

The entire holiday for the 4 of us was organised by my wife using the internet, including air flights, hotels and tours. It saved hundreds of dollars and cut out the middle men. Clever little lady, isn't she?

+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: I'm back from Vietnam...
9/3/2008 11:02:25 PM
I thought the war was over, remember we lost? LOL  What a vacation! with you explaining all in detail i felt i went with you lol. Im glad you had a great time, welcome back buddy!
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Walter Thomas Jr

227 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/4/2008 1:07:58 AM

Hi John, things was a little different during the TET offenses,  as I remember?

PS: nice story though!
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/4/2008 5:35:26 AM

Hey John,

Good to have you back. Missed your jokes and sense of humor.

Seems like you had a great time there and at verrrrrrry affordable prices. Actually unheard of prices in this day and age.

Kudos to your wife.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Joe
Joe Downing

9720 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/4/2008 7:15:45 AM

John,

Welcome back!  It all sounds so exciting!  Thank you for sharing your adventure.

Yeah, I'd say you got a smart one indeed!

Joe
***ADLAND BULLETIN BOARD*** What is Xtreme X2O? ###Get some X2O and Jerky RADICAL for the TRUTH! Laus Deo! ** HUG DEPARTMENT: Always OPE
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!