Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dean Beaty

447 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Stories That Teach
8/16/2008 1:20:41 PM

I taught this story in Junior Church.  It was greatly enjoyed.  I am Swedish. I lived in South Dakota growing up. I went to Bible College in Minnesota. My Brother-in-law lived in Seattle, Washington.  My cousin was a missionary to Zaire.

DAVID FLOOD
This is a story of the goodness of God that leads to repentance. In this story was a Christian who had become very bitter. He had decided God was not good
His name was David Flood. In 1921 he and his young wife Savaeah left Sweden to go to the heart of Africa to be missionaries. When they arrived the chief in the region would not let them into the village. They went up on the hillside and built two mud huts. All they could do is pray that God would open the hearts of the villagers.
The only contact the chief would allow was a little boy who would come twice a week to sell them chickens and eggs. Savaeah decided if the little boy was the only contact, she would work with him. She gave him the good news of Christ and in time he accepted Christ as Savior. Savaeah taught this little boy to read the Bible and to write.
Not long after she found she was going to have a baby. When the time came for her to give birth the chief’s heart softened and he allowed a midwife to help with the birth. A little girl was born. Seventeen days later Savaeah died from childbirth and the weakness caused by the bouts with malaria. Mr. Flood buried his young wife at the age of 27. He took his older son and new born daughter down to the mission station and handed his daughter to missionaries there with the words, “God is not good, God is not kind, God is not faithful. He has ruined my life. I do not know how to raise this little girl.” With that he left for Sweden turning his back on God and his calling.
Within 8 months the adopted parents of the little girl had also died of malaria. Little Ina was given to another missionary couple who changed her name to Aggie and moved back to the United States where Aggie grew up in South Dakota. As a young woman she went to North Central Bible College in Minneapolis and married a young minister named Dewey.
She knew very little of her background except her parents had been missionaries, therefore she had been born in Africa, and her mother had died there. She had never seen her father.
Aggie and her husband Dewey enjoyed a fruitful ministry. Years went by, her husband was now president of a Bible College in Seattle. One day a magazine arrived in their mailbox which she had not ordered which she could not read as it was in Swedish. Aggie turned the pages and was stopped cold when she saw a photo. It showed a grave on a primitive hillside with a crudely shaped cross with the words Savaeah Flood. She had to find out what was written here. The article was entitled “Missionaries of Long Ago.”
The article told of the birth of a baby girl and the death of the young mother and the salvation of the little African boy. When the missionaries had left, the little boy had talked the chief into allowing him to teach the children of the village how to read and write. He taught them with the only book he had, the Word of Almighty God, the Bible.
These children were gloriously saved. The children told their parents who in time accepted the good news of salvation by grace through faith in Christ. Eventually the chief, himself, became a Christian and now their was a church of over 600 Christians. All this was because of the sacrificial ministry of David and Savaeah Flood.
For Aggie and Dewey’s 25th Wedding Anniversary, the Bible College gave them a trip to Sweden. Among other things Aggie desired to find her Father. David Flood had remarried and had four children but in bitterness he had wasted away. Aggie had an emotional reunion with her half brothers and sister. She asked about her father. “He is very ill. We want you to know, he had one rule in our family, no one could mention the name of God because God is not good.” Aggie could not be deterred; she went into her father’s room to see him. He was now 73 years of age. Her father turned toward her and immediately recognized her with tears in his eyes said, “Ina, I never meant to give you away.” Aggie stopped him. “It is alright, Papa, God has taken care of me.”
He stiffened and turned his face to the wall.
“Papa, I’m going to tell you a true story. You didn’t go to Africa in vain. Mama didn’t die in vain. That little boy that you led to the Lord Jesus Christ grew up to lead the whole village to Christ. Papa, there are now 600 people who are serving the Lord because you followed the call of God in your life. God had a plan all along. He didn’t forget you.”
David Flood turned from facing the wall, tears streaming down his face. They began to talk and by the end of that afternoon “the goodness of God had brought David back to Himself in repentance.”
A few weeks later Aggie and Dewey returned to the United States to get the news that her father David Flood had gone to heaven to be with the Lord.
A few years later Aggie and Dewey were in London for a Conference. A report was given from the country of Zaire by the superintendent of the national church who represented over 110,000 believers. He talked eloquently about the spread of the gospel in this country.
Afterwards Aggie couldn’t wait. She ran up to speak to this man. “Have you ever heard of David and Savaeah Flood?” He said “Yes mum, as a little boy I used to sell them chickens and eggs twice a week. Savaeah Flood led me to Christ." Aggie told him who she was. They wept and embraced for a long time. He said “You must come to Africa. Your mother is the most important person in our church history.”
In time Aggie did go to Zaire, she was greeting by throngs of cheering native believers and was shown the grave of Savaeah Flood where she knelt in the soil and thanked God for a good, kind and patient God who planned the death of her mother. The young native read the scripture, “Those who sow in tears will reap with joy.”

Why is this story so important? There will be times in our lives that are very difficult. Those are the times we need to hang on to God's Word that says, "God is love." As I think of this missionary story I think of another young man who was forced to leave his home and family. He was sold into slavery. He didn't become bitter but He continued to trust God and God blessed Him. He became an overseer over all his master’s house. A wicked person lied about him and he was put in prison. Did he become bitter and angry at God? No! He find favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison and he was given the position where all the prisoners were put under this godly young man.
This Joseph was given by God the ability to understand the meaning of dreams. Two of the Pharoah’s servants were put in prison and had dreams which God gave Joseph the interpretation of these dreams. The baker was hung, but the butler was given back his position.
One day when the king had a dream; the butler told the king, "There was a man in prison who could interpret your dream."
Joseph was brought before the king. He interpreted the dream and was given the position, "Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou."
Several times in Genesis it says, "The LORD was with him, and that which he did, the LORD made it to prosper."
Could you trust God like Joseph? Could you know, "God is good" even when things are difficult? Our problem is we only see a small portion of our lives. God see and knows all things. Be willing to trust God even when things look bad.

Keep them out w/ Home Security... Put them out w/ Pepper Spray. http://www.peacemakerpepperspray.com Where YOU are much more than a Customer. And we are much more than a Webstore! To read more poems by Dean go to: http://biblepoemsbydean.com
+0
Dean Beaty

447 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Stories That Teach
8/16/2008 1:22:23 PM
THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
A missionary on furlough told this true story while visiting his home church in Michigan.
"While serving at a small field hospital in Africa ,every two weeks I traveled by bicycle through the jungle to a nearby city for supplies.
This was a journey of two days and required camping overnight at the halfway point. On one of these journeys, I arrived in the city where I planned to collect money from a bank, purchase medicine, and supplies, and then begin My two-day journey back to the field hospital.

Upon arrival in the city, I observed two men fighting, One of whom had been seriously injured. I treated him for his injuries and at the same time talked to him about the Lord.
I then traveled two days, camping overnight, and arrived home without incident....

Two weeks later I repeated my journey. Upon arriving in the city,
I was approached by the young man I had treated. He told me that he had known I carried< BR>money and medicines. He said, 'Some friends and I followed you in to the jungle, knowing you would camp overnight. We planned to kill you and take your money and drugs. But just as we were about to move into your camp, We saw that you were surrounded by 26 armed guards.
At this, I laughed and said that I was certainly all alone in that jungle campsite. The young man pressed the point, however, and said, 'No, sir, I was not the only person to see the guards, my friends also saw them, and we all counted them. It was because of those guards that we were afraid and left you alone.'

At this point in the sermon, one of the men in the congregation jumped to his feet and Interrupted the missionary and asked if he could tell him the exact day this happened.
The missionary told the congregation the date, and the man who
interrupted told him this story:

'On the night of your incident in Africa , it was morning here and I was preparing to go play golf. I was about to putt when I felt the urge to pray for you. In fact, the urging of the Lord was so strong, I called men in this church to meet with me here In the sanctuary to pray for you.

Would all of those men who met with me on that day stand up?'
The men who had met together to pray that day stood up.
The missionary wasn't concerned with who they were, He was too busy counting how many men he saw.

There were 26

How important is prayer to you? God's word says
James 5:16b "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
Keep them out w/ Home Security... Put them out w/ Pepper Spray. http://www.peacemakerpepperspray.com Where YOU are much more than a Customer. And we are much more than a Webstore! To read more poems by Dean go to: http://biblepoemsbydean.com
+0
Dean Beaty

447 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/16/2008 1:23:50 PM
Thou God Seest Me"
This past week I was listening to a radio preacher and I just had to tell you about it.
He was telling how his parents would take their children with them to the Servicemen's Center in Virginia every Friday night. The pastor's children enjoyed going because of the free soda and cookies. They also found that if they climbed up to the third floor of the building opened a window and stepped out on the roof of the building in back of the Servicemen's Center. They could walk to the edge of the roof and sit and watch the soldiers as they walked past.
On this street in the back of the Center was a very wicked club for the servicemen. Many of these boys were gone from home for the first time and were tempted to go into these wicked places.
One evening as we watched the street was deserted, except for a lonely sailor who walked up to the door and was about to open it when, he turned and looked this way and that to make sure no one would see him enter.
In my deepest voice, I yelled down, "I see you, don't do it."
The young man high tailed it and was gone.
"This was my service for God that night." the pastor said.

Some may think of this being a negative but it really isn't as we realize God is with us and sees us at all times. If we keep this in mind it can keep us from sin. The reason for the telling of the story is to again let you know, even though no one in the world can see you or know what you are doing. God knows all things, God sees all things.
"BE SURE YOUR SIN WILL FIND YOU OUT."
+0
Dean Beaty

447 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/16/2008 1:24:56 PM
AFRAID OF THE DARK
This is humorous story but it is to remind us. God is everywhere. God sees all things. He is a great all powerful, all knowing God. We do not have to fear what man can do unto us.
The positive is God is always with us to protect us.

A little boy was afraid of the dark. One night his mother told him to go out to the back porch and bring her the broom. The little boy turned to his mother and said, "Mama, I don't want to go out there. It's dark."

The mother smiled reassuringly at her son. "You don't have to be afraid of the dark," she explained. "Jesus is out there. He'll look after you and protect you."

The little boy looked at his mother real hard and asked, "Are you sure he's out there?" "Yes, I 'm sure. He is everywhere, and he is always ready to help you when you need him," she said.

The little boy thought about that for a minute and then went to the back door and cracked it a little. Peering out into the darkness, he called, "Jesus? If you're out there, would you please hand me the broom?

- AUTHOR UNKNOWN
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!