Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Recipe of the Week - Bean and Cheese Quesadilla
7/21/2008 12:22:23 PM

Hi Luella,

Your situation sounds like a little town where I lived in the Georgia mountains for about 6 months.  We had one little Independent Grocery Store, something like a "Red Dot" or something of that nature.  Of course, there were two fast food places in town when I got desperate.

If things get too desperate, I can always send you a "Care Package" like I do my Southern Friends that move up North.  Can you imagine living without Pinto Beans or Grits?  We've got a Whole Foods Market only 10 minutes away, so I can find just about anything you might need.

As for your Dinner question, you can do what I have to do here at Home for my Non-Vegetarian Family.  Turn the Salad into a Main Course.

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

1 cup olive oil
One quarter cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. oregano
One half tsp. marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
4 to 6 boneless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken together and mix well. Place chicken in a large baking dish and place marinade over chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for several hours. When chicken has marinated, place on a hot grill and grill 7 - 10 minutes per side until juices run clear. Place chicken on a platter to cool.

Prepare Salad.

Either serve Chicken & Salad side-by-side or slice the marinated and cooked chicken and place over the salad.

Add a Home Baked Crusty Bread and a dry Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon mix, and you're all set.

Have A Beautiful Evening,

Phil 

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2008 12:32:40 PM
Hi Luella and Phil,

You 2 have me going.  What is so great about grits?  I have made them, I guess I don't know how, but grits to me are tasteless.  Anything special I need to know.  I like pinto beans.  I guess I am too much of a northerner, I am from southern, Pa, about a half mile from Maryland.  lol
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2008 2:37:13 PM
Hi Dear Kitchen Sister Luella !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2008 2:57:23 PM
Dear Luella !

Without you to watch over me and give recipes I got into so much trouble - LOL

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2008 4:13:52 PM

Hi Myrna,

I think it's a Southern Thang.  When I was growing up, Momma's people were from up in the Hills and most were Farmers.  Times off from school, I got to stay with them and work the Farm.  Breakfast was at 4:00-5:00 A.M., and it was always a Big'un.  Lots of times we would have Grits and Home Fries.  As for cooking them, there's really no secret to it.  I just add a little Bacon or Sausage grease, and Salt & Pepper.  Always make sure you're getting the real thing, in other words, Grits not Hominy

I've been to PA many times and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Some of the prettiest country I've ever seen, and some of the best cooking I've ever had was in PA, up in Amish Country or down around Hershey.  Just keep me away from Pittsburgh.  Believe it or not, the tastiest Grits I've ever had were from the Four Seasons Farm Bed, Breakfast and Barn, up around Lancaster, OH, home of that Scourge of the South, William Tecumseh Sherman.  The following recipe is on their Website...

Southern Style Grits

3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup uncooked quick cooking grits
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine broth & whipping cream in a large sauce pan; bring to a boil. Add grits, stir & return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer for 5-7 minutes. Stir in cheese. Cool 10 minutes.

Served with farm fresh eggs, any style, thick, country bacon or freshly made sage sausage patties, home baked goods, fresh juice & fresh ground coffee.

I hope you'll try these, because your tongue will think it's already gone to Heaven.  Also, for one of the most relaxing times you've ever had, you might want to check out the Bed, Breakfast, & Barn at the Four Season Farm.  Just click the Link in the previous paragraph for Details, Directions, & Rates.

Have A Good'un,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!