Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Recipe of the Week - Bean and Cheese Quesadilla
7/20/2008 5:57:35 PM

As featured in The Best Years in Life Healthy Recipes

Recipe of the Week

Bean and Cheese Quesadilla with Corn Salsa

Summer meal preparation should be fast and simple. But that doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice nutrition. Corn, red bell pepper and fresh cilantro are colorful additions to this week's recipe that also provide important vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting phytochemicals. The spicy jalapeños and red onions add a bit of heat to the Mexican-inspired dish, making it the perfect meal for a warm summer night.

chili quesadillas

Bean and Cheese Quesadilla

2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
Freshly ground pepper and sea salt, to taste
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 (13 inch) whole-wheat tortillas
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)

To make the salsa, combine the corn, red pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix in the lime juice and set aside.

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is very hot, add a tortilla. Heat the tortilla for about 30 seconds. Cover half of the tortilla with half of the beans and cheese and a small handful of the salsa. Fold the empty side over the filling. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Repeat for the second tortilla.

To serve, cut each quesadilla in half. Place 1 half on each of 4 plates. Top with a quarter of the salsa and sour cream (if using). Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 350 calories, 6 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 g carbohydrate,
19 g protein, 11 g dietary fiber, 410 mg sodium

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Recipe of the Week - Bean and Cheese Quesadilla
7/20/2008 7:32:33 PM

Yum, Luella -

That looks really yummy!!  I will bet you that if I make it, it will taste wonderful, but it won't look anything like the picture!!

Thanks,

Judy

chili quesadillas

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2008 8:11:01 PM

Hi Luella,

It's so good to see you here once again.  Have I told you yet just how much you've been missed?

Once again, delicious, nutritious and even a slightly weird, almost Vegetarian like myself can thoroughly enjoy it without guilt.  Although I could eat this by itself, I would probably add a Caesar Salad, for the heartier appetites...

Caesar Salad 

1/2 to 3/4 cup croutons
1 coddled egg
1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped
garlic
anchovy fillet, mashed (1-2 in. of Anchovy Paste can be used) 
Pinch of
coarse salt
2 tablespoons (1/2 lemon) freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 drops Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons extra-virgin
olive oil
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 head Romaine lettuce, hearts and tender leaves only
Coarsely ground fresh black pepper 

To Prepare the Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, anchovy, and salt until blended. Whisk in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in the coddled egg until the mixture is thick, approximately 1 minute to enable the lemon juice to "cook" the egg. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil with one hand while vigorously whisking the mixture with the other. When the dressing is well combined, whisk in 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.

To Assemble Salad: Separate the Romaine leaves and discard the coarse outer leaves. Wash, drain, and pat with paper towels or spin dry the remaining leaves. (Note: Lettuce should be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use.) Tear into bite-size pieces and set aside.

In a large wooden salad bowl, add 1/3 of the dressing and toss with the croutons until well coated. Add the Romaine lettuce pieces and the remaining dressing; toss until coated.

To Serve: Divide the salad onto chilled plates and sprinkle each salad with the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground pepper. Serve immediately with chilled forks.

Makes 2 Man-Size or 4 Regular Servings.

Have A Blessed & Beautiful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2008 8:26:04 PM
hi Luella,

i am so surprised to see you here.  I thought you were to be gone for a week. I hope you didn't have to go, because it is great to have you here.  I am like Phil, we miss you. This is so beautiful to welcome you back.  The Hills are Alive.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2008 8:28:07 PM
OMG!! I got so excited to see you back, I forgot to tell the recipe is great. 

Phil, Caesar Salad is my favorite, I made a copy of this one. Thanks
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!