Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Potw Team

2183 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Re: Have civil libertarians and do-gooders stuffed our society?
6/13/2008 2:42:27 AM

Hi John,

Interesting direction we're taking here now. It's true the New York Police Department is an example being used world wide for reducing the crime rate and it has gone down drastically there.

Personally I don't like to see such radical changes but it does seem to be working.  In my opinion they based their crack down hard on all infractions from Singapore. They are known for many years to be very strict and it makes no difference what your station in life there is.

A few years back there was a case of a foreign student being punished for not throwing a gum wrapper on the floor but for chewing gum. If I'm not mistaken he was caned or thrashed publicly for that offense.

I guess people don't chew gum there any more. :) Let alone serious crimes. They have a verrrrrrry low crime rate there as you can well imagine.

Shalom,

Peter

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/13/2008 2:47:28 AM

Hey John,

Sorry about that the previous post. It was suppossed to be from my personal account. I just posted the latest POTW poll and forgot to log out.

BTW, it's a tie breaker vote and should be interesting this week.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/1052006.aspx

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/13/2008 8:50:46 PM

That's okay Peter.

Re using the cane in Singapore, yes, that's a bit harsh, I agree. But it would be over more quickly than a jail term :-)

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/14/2008 10:18:01 PM

Hi John,

I think you probably know that I agree with you 150%, in fact I don't see the caning as being too harsh, but then again, I'm not sure that the Patriot act goes quite far enough either.

You mentioned one of my heroes, Joe Arpaio, who along with Buford Pusser, should the #1 Role Models for all Law Enforcement throughout the world.  For too short a time, we were Blessed to have a Sheriff here in Davidson County, NC, who took Buford Pusser and Joe Arpaio as role models.  Gerald Hege was elected sheriff in 1994.  One of his better known campaign slogans was "When I am elected Sheriff, I will wear a uniform every day and there will be no deals for anybody." After his election, all Davidson County sheriff's cars were fitted with a front license plate proclaiming "NO DEALS" in large block letters.  His personal patrol vehicle was a 1995 Chevrolet Impala with a Chevrolet Corvette engine and nitrous oxide tanks.  Let's just say, not too many ever successfully outran him.  

As I said, taking Buford Pusser and Joe Arpaio as his role models, Sheriff Hege ordered all deputies to dress in paramilitary fatigues and combat boots; Hege dressed in this way himself, despite the tradition of business attire for Davidson County sheriffs. Hege reinstuted the use of chain gang prisoner labor. He also removed the television sets and all books, except for the Bible, from the county jail. The jail was repainted in pink with weeping blue teddy bears. Prisoners also wore color coordinated jumpsuits to identify their offense: Blue for misdemeanors, green for sex offenders, and orange for felons. The jumpsuits were striped in the old fashioned manner as opposed to the modern solid color. Hege carried a Heckler & Koch MP5 instead of a service revolver.

Unfortunately, as is often the case, the "Politcally Correct", Spineless, Left-Wing, Bleeding Heart Liberals of the Opposition Party trumped up enough charges to force him out of office in 2003.  However, the good he accomplished in that brief 9 years, still warms the hearts of those of us who love this Country and are sick and tired of the Eunuchs (look it up) in power trying to destroy it.

On a more personal note, back in 1994-1995, Sheriff Hege was at the Fall Festival for the local Elementary School and was selling autographed D.A.R.E. T-shirts to raise funds for the D.A.R.E. Program.  Each of my Nephews, who were 8 & 11 years old at the time, had to have two of the shirts, one to wear and one to keep.  They are now 22 and 25 years old and those framed T-Shirts are still on their walls.  That's the kind of respect that young people should have for Law Enforcement.

Thanks John, for bringing this vital topic up for discussion here at your Forum.

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil 

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
6/15/2008 10:41:22 PM

Hi Phil

I appreciate that info. We don't hear much down here regarding other law enforcers who tried to follow in the footsteps of Joe Arpaio. Isn't it funny how minority groups seem to sway Governments. Not one of the people I know support the civil libertarian crap, and I'm sure none of your friends do either. How the hell they get a foot-hold amazes me.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!