Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Neil Sperling

1645 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Mount Destiny
5/15/2008 10:51:04 PM

Mount Destiny
This is a tale of three young men who went on a journey through life. The adventures they shared and the lessons of life they learned.

Mike, Mark and Jack were three young men who hung out together in "No Goal Arcade." Life was pretty much humdrum and activities they engaged in were far from exciting.  As they hung out wasting time, they often peered out the window to the top of the mountain just outside the Arcade doors. The mountain was named Mount Destiny.

One day they decided to head out and climb the mountain. Without thought, they started hiking. They got to a dead end in a canyon just a few hours into their journey. Not knowing what to do they headed back to No Goal Arcade. Turned out the canyon had a name. It was called "Dead End Canyon."

Days past, even weeks and every day the mountain seemed to be calling them. They started talking to everyone about their dream of climbing  Mount Destiny. Their desire to climb the mountain had become a burn in their hearts and minds. An older gentleman happened to drop into the Arcade one day who had climbed Mount Destiny some years back. He become the boys mentor and they listened to him with intent. He taught them many things about mountain climbing and what tools they would need. Most of all he taught them about the right attitude necessary to change their dream into a goal. Then he took the time to help them develop a plan.

The day came and the boys were ready to leave. They said farewell to their many "going nowhere friends" at No Goal Arcade and off they went. Maps, compasses, ropes and camping gear were carefully stuffed into their back packs and good hiking boots were on their feet. They felt like mountaineers and they looked the part too!

The weather cooperated the first couple days but then the wind and rain started. Every step got heavier and the progress they made each hour became next to nil. They made camp, and frustrated they climbed into their sleeping bags and went to sleep.

In the morning the sun broke through the clouds and Mike and Mark were excited to get going. Jack however was nowhere to be found. Where his sleeping bag had been the night before was a note. "Guys, I'm going back to the arcade to my old friends. This climb is too much work and the weather is a pain. You can go on without me or you can join me back at the Arcade."

Mike and Mark were disappointed, however they were not detoured from their goal. The mountain peak was still there to conquer and by gully they were going on. The climb continued to be more difficult than they expected and Mark was getting weary. They cleared another rise in the terrain and there before them was a beautiful valley. Fish were jumping in the spring fed lake at the center of the valley, and wild life was all around them. The valley, according to the map, was called "Good Enough Valley."

They made camp and decided to take it easy a few days. the fishing in the lake was terrific and Mike and Mark had a great time. They played in the sun, fished and watched the wild life with great curiosity. Finally after just a few days Mike got restless. Mount Destiny was still there to be conquered. He informed Mark that in the morning they would break camp and carry on. Mark however said he was satisfied with the climb already. He had no intention of pushing any further. Good Enough Valley was good enough for him.

Mike went on alone. He climbed some of the most difficult rock walls,  went around some huge boulders and many fallen trees along the trail. The air became thin and his body ached from the constant push. Many times he slipped while climbing sheer rock walls, but was able to catch onto tree roots to break a fall. Sometimes all he was able to do was stick his fingers and toes into tiny cracks to lift himself up nd onward. Bleeding from both his knees and grabbing onto rocks with cold scraped fingers, he kept going without the thought of turning back. He was determined to make it to the top, and that is exactly what he did.

Years later Mike, Mark and Jack met in a place called the here after. Mark and Jack went to Mike and asked him to tell them about the rest of the journey up Mount Destiny.

Mike smiled and said - Friends it is not the journey that really mattered, it is what I learned along the way. When we were all hanging out at No Goal Arcade we had no dreams and thus no goals. I know now one needs to have a dream and make that dream a goal. "There is no magic in little dreams to move a mans soul, you have to dream BIG."

Then, when we hit dead end canyon, the first time we attempted the climb. From that experience I learned "If you fail to plan you plan to fail."

The second time we set out we had both a goal and a plan, but Jack you never understood that "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." Jack, you gave up and went back to the Arcade because of a little wind and rain.

Mark - we had fun in Good Enough Valley didn't we? But you stayed there and never finished the climb. From watching you I learned that "if you settle for second best that is all you will ever be or have."

I went on alone through the hardest part of the climb. It was clear to me that "Quitters Never Win and Winners Never Quit," and by gully I chose to win and so I did. But now that we are here, there is still one more lesson I learned that is very powerful. "There is Never and End to Learning, Only New Beginnings."

With that statement he turned to his two friends from another time and said with the confidence of the old man who mentored them all in the Arcade many moons ago...... "Lets begin"

Love Light and Laughter
Neil Sperling

One World United is a company with the global vision "Create the largest discount buying group the world has ever seen."

One World Membership Card doubles as a MasterCard Debit Card.

~!~

+0
Re: Mount Destiny
5/15/2008 11:01:11 PM
HEY GREAT STORY! I'LL REALLY NEEDED THIS CONFIDENCE BOOST AS I'M LOOKING TO FINALLY CHANGE AND IMPROVE MY LIFE. I FOUND A YOUNG LADY I'M INTERESTED IN, BUT I AREADY TOLD HER I'M INEXPERIECENCED IN DATING. WHICH I REGRET.

COREY
+0
Steven Suchar

13302 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2008 11:36:35 PM
"Thank You Brother Neil" Smiley

Best graphics for your profile! SparkleTags.com
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2008 11:57:00 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Nick Grimshawe

792 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/16/2008 12:51:13 AM
Hi Neil,

That is a great story with a lot of lessons to be learned.

Sticking to a goal is not easy, especially when you do not appear to be making any headway. But if you are chasing your dream, and you stop and really look you can see the progress. And this fires you up to get up the next rock face.

Thanks for the story.

Nick
Nick Grimshawe Subscribe for Free at http://beautifulsummermorning.com/subscribe-today
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!