Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Luella's Kitchen: SPRING PEA SOUP
4/8/2008 4:25:14 PM

Pea Soup Simmers with the Colors of Spring

As the signs of spring begin to emerge, bring the outside in with this fresh, seasonal soup. Peas are a good source of fiber, folate and vitamins C and A. Mint leaves – long heralded as a potent digestive aid – supply cancer-fighting phytochemicals. In addition, filling up on low calorie soup is a great way to manage your hunger and curb your appetite. So soup up to slim down this spring.

Spring Pea Soup

Spring Pea Soup

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia), peeled and finely chopped
1 boiling potato (about 4 oz.) peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 1/2 cups water
1 lb. frozen baby peas, thawed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. low-fat sour cream (optional)
Fresh mint leaves, minced (optional)

Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the potato and salt. Cook, while stirring, another 2 minutes. Add the water, cover and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Add peas and simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.

Cool slightly, then purée in small batches in a blender. Force mixture through a very fine mesh sieve into a saucepan. Reheat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Top each serving with a dab of sour cream and fresh mint leaves, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 100 calories, 2.5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat),
14 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 240 mg sodium.

To see more AICR recipes visit our Recipe Corner.

For more healthy and delicious recipes, make sure and visit The Best Years in Life Healthy Recipes

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Luella's Kitchen: SPRING PEA SOUP
4/9/2008 12:01:59 AM
Pot Is On My Dear

I think it is so weird that I was going to make a batch this weekend and now, here you are !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Joelees Wholesale

5917 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
4/9/2008 1:47:39 PM

Luella,

Thank you added a copy of this one to the cook book , pea soup is another awesome favorite. Enjoy your day Gods speed :-) Lee

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/9/2008 3:23:45 PM
Thanks Luella,
Sounds absolutely delicious as always.
If you would like a Spring Chicken to go with your Spring Pea Soup, for those heartier appetites...
ROASTED SPRING CHICKEN WITH HERBS & RICOTTA

8 oz Ricotta Cheese (I use low-fat)               
2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Basil and 3 Tbsp Finely Chopped Parsley 
1 Tsp Sea Salt 
2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
Grated Zest & Freshly Squeezed Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Lemons, Cut In Half
1 Chicken, 2 1/2-3 lb.(I use free-range)            
Kitchen String

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees.
Put Ricotta in bowl with basil, parsley, garlic, sea salt, 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon zest & juice and mix well.
Wash Chicken and pat dry with paper towels.  Using the palm of your hand, separate the skin from the Chicken, being careful not to tear the skin.  Force Ricotta mixture between the skin and the meat.  Rub cut lemon halves over the Chicken, then place in the cavity of the bird, tying legs together with kitchen string.  Transfer Chicken to a plate, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Place roasting pan in preheated oven for 10 minutes to warm.  Pour remaining tbsp olive oil into roasting pan, then place Chicken in pan and roast in oven for 1 hour.
Remove Chicken from oven, cover with aluminum foil, and let cool for 15 minute before carving. 
Serves 4-5.
As you might imagine, I don't prepare this very often, since it can be a pain in the "ahem" to prepare.  However,this  upcoming weekend, my Brother & his wife are stopping by on Sunday, so I'll probably have it for Dinner.  I usually serve it with Asparagus Soup, but your Spring Pea sounds even better, especially with the onions and the potatoes.
Thanks Again My Friend,
Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/9/2008 4:48:10 PM

My heavens Nick!  We do this a lot.  By the way, keep the soup warm..... I'm on my way over.........

Hugs,

Luella

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!